A Marvel Fanboy

Passengers | Chris Pratt, Jennifer Lawrence | Dec 21, 2016 | Trailer pg 70

33 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

I followed the production of this at all - is the current narrative that it's garbage and Sony has no idea how to market and/or is borderline dumping it? No trailer this late into the game is definitely weird.

No, that's not the narrative at all.

There has been no indication that the trailer delay has anything to do with poor reception or fear regarding quality. The most likely reason at this point is the legal issues with the VFX they used while shooting (MOVA). Sony claims it won't have an impact but it might be causing delays, preventing footage from coming out or forcing a last minute do-over of a lot of CGI shots.

In any case, Sony is hardly "dumping" it. I'd be surprised if we don't get a trailer by the time Mag7 is out.

• Like 1

Well, this is what John Spaihts (Passenger's script writer) thinks about trailers:

• Like 6

People have been raving about the footage they saw at cinemacon, without exception.  I liked the production design of the sets I saw in material that turned out to be leaked, so is no longer in this thread.  I will be very surprised if it isn't terrific, but of course I haven't seen it yet, so I can't say for sure how it is.

14 hours ago, Hatebox said:

I followed the production of this at all - is the current narrative that it's garbage and Sony has no idea how to market and/or is borderline dumping it? No trailer this late into the game is definitely weird.

No there was a lawsuit against one of the special effects houses working on some of the effects, and the judge froze use of their proprietary process until the court could decide who it belongs to (likely years from now.)  Rothman said a trailer would be out as soon as the effects were done, and Sony has said they are using a different house/process for it and that it won't delay the film.  It DOES seem to have delayed the trailer, though.

15 hours ago, Hatebox said:

Dumping?  LOL, sure.

On 8/17/2016 at 0:47 PM, A District 3 Engineer said:

Well, this is what John Spaihts (Passenger's script writer) thinks about trailers:

Is this how he's chosen to placate the public due to the lack of a trailer? To remind them that the movie experience is that much richer when you haven't seen a trailer for it?

This is joke right?

Some type of avant garde reverse psychology mumbo jumbo? 

Would he be saying this silliness if the trailer for the film was out? "Don't watch the trailer for Passengers' the movie experience will be richer for it."

That has to be his go to for now on going forward in his career.

"Dont watch the trailer for my one hundred million dollar movie that I spent months writing and redrafting tirelessly and that the production studio has spent millons of dollars strategically marketing, this movie is something special if you don't know anything about it going on in."

3 minutes ago, comicbookguy said:

Is this how he's chosen to placate the public due to the lack of a trailer? To remind them that the movie experience is that much richer when you haven't seen a trailer for it?

This is joke right?

You did notice he wrote this on his twitter two months ago, which probably means it has nothing to do with the trailer for Passengers?

Maybe, just maybe, this is simply how he feels about trailers in general?

• Like 3

7 hours ago, JennaJ said:

You did notice he wrote this on his twitter two months ago, which probably means it has nothing to do with the trailer for Passengers?

Maybe, just maybe, this is simply how he feels about trailers in general?

I dunno.  I was certainly bitching about there being no trailer two months ago.  Rogue One and Assassins Creed both had them....

50 minutes ago, Belakor said:

I´m going to say it again: This will be this year´s Jupiter Ascending.

Yep guys, a space drama from the director of The Imitation Game and starring Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence is going to have a comparable box office performance and reception to a sci-fi action flick from the director of Speed Racer and starring Channing Tatum and Mila Kunis. 

• Like 2