A Marvel Fanboy

Weekend Numbers: Oblvi: 38.1 42: 18 mill (starting pg 10)

That to me is the biggest problem with this forum.  Everything that doesn't do crazy amounts of money(even some that do!) are deemed BOMBS!

Cutthroat Island is a fucking bomb.  That movie bankrupted a studio.

That is a bomb.

Jack will lose lots of money. That's a bomb.

• Like 1

This little tidbit from Variety made me chuckle:

The Stateside launch for “Oblivion” makes it the seventh-highest debut in April. It’s better than the 1999 debut of “The Matrix,” at nearly $28 million, and “The Scorpion King,” which launched with $36 million in 2002.

It beat The Matrix! (which opened on a Wednesday. I remember cause I was THERE, man!)

If a film costs 200 mill to make and it makes 200 WW, how is that a bomb? Jack is a dud for sure. But it's not a bomb.My point is though, WB has three huge franchises to mitigate any losses from other films for a while.

If a film costs 200 mill to make and it makes 200 WW, how is that a bomb? Jack is a dud for sure. But it's not a bomb.My point is though, WB has three huge franchises to mitigate any losses from other films for a while.

Jack the Giant Slayer lost 200m for the studio. Definitely a bomb

It lost 200M to WB. That is a huge bomb.

Ignoring that the $200m figure doesn't include P&A, when a film looses more than $100m during it's theatrical release, I believe it is a bomb. If it unexpectedly breaks out during its home video release, it would change that perception and all the more power to it. Showgirls did it (not the best example) but it went on to gross over $100m just from video rentals after flopping theatrically. 

But yea, I think if a film looses over $100m or fails to reach it's production budget number WW by a significant margin, it's a flop. If Bullet to the Head cost $50m and made $20m WW, I consider that a flop. Do any of you think that's wrong?

Fair enough. It's a bomb.Doesn't change the fact that it is the only movie WB has really taken a significant loss on in the last 12 months.

Good lord, I didn't mean to create a whole debate. I was just making a point to Shayhiri that Universal has nothing to worry about. WB's lately movies may not be bombs, but they haven't made the studio money. Yes, franchises have leveled that off, but the flops in general still haven't made WB money. I know the difference between a bomb and a flop, okay fine they have 7 FLOPS in 7 months, not bombs. My definition of bomb is more broad than what most of you use, but either way 42 is WB's first bankable movie since Hobbit.

And you have to remember that studios treat these grosses like stocks. They go up and down. They're not still sitting on money they made from LOTR and TDK, where do you think the money to fund Jack came from? It's not about how much they gross, its about revenue. The studio has operation costs, marketing, movie funding, paychecks, etc. If one of their movies grosses $1B, they don't keep that forever.

Edited by jandrew

Fair enough. It's a bomb.Doesn't change the fact that it is the only movie WB has really taken a significant loss on in the last 12 months.

Beautiful Creatures, Rock of Ages, Dark Shadows, Wrath of the Titans (including P&A, they lost money).

They lost 60M on BC, 75M on RoA, around 60M on Dark Shadows, and Wrath of the Titans depends on P&A (The losses of the first three movies don't include P&A budget).

I wouldn't call nearly 200M a hardly significant loss. Not to mention Cloud Atlas and and Burt Wonderstone,

Jandrew is right. Battleship was the last UNI bomb and almost everything since then has done well. WB has issues right now. They had 5 movies in a row underwhelm at the Box Office this year before 42 succeeded.

• Like 1

And you have to remember that studios treat these grosses like stocks. They go up and down. They're not still sitting on money they made from LOTR and TDK, where do you think the money to fund Jack came from?

From HP and Batman merchandise, duh. Also video games. Boxoffice is entertaiment for us geek warring tribes but all studios make the biggest money off toys and other tie-ins, merchandize,etc.

Its a Bomb

Studio spend 300 mill including P&A

They get around 100 mill back frrom theaters

That leaves 200 mill . They will not get that back from DVD, Tv and ect

Its a Bomb