Shawn Robbins

Weekend Discussion: IM3 @ 175.3m wknd est

• Founder / Operator

Would have dropped worse if Twitter and Facebook were more established at that point. The hype on that film was insane and the bubble didn't really pop until Monday.

That, plus huge kiddie appeal. That's what kept SM3 over $300m and TASM over $225m, IMO.

• Founder / Operator

Even SM3 did 59M without mids, I know previews are included.

71.6M

61M

47M

OW - 179.6M

SM3 did $10 million at midnight, included in the $59.84m Fri figure.

• Like 1

It will not drop that much on Sunday. Big movies have a lot of spill over business. Look at all the top 5 biggest OWs of summer, none of them dropped more than 22% on Sunday.

TDK and TDKR dropped 8.5% and 10.5% on Sunday, but after enormous Saturday drops. So it's not quite the same to compare them. Spider Man 3 took time until bad word of mouth spread, and it took long because facebook and twitter weren't that popular/weren't existing back then..

• Like 1

It will not drop that much on Sunday. Big movies have a lot of spill over business. Look at all the top 5 biggest OWs of summer, none of them dropped more than 22% on Sunday.

I tell you. It's going to do the exact Iron Man 2 increases/decreases.

Yeah Sunday drop will be below 30%...

This will have more famalies compared to IM2.

It will def have more families compared to IM2, but no where near as much as TA.  Trailers and marketing have been extremely dark compared to TA and the loss of all the other characters won't drive family business close to TA.

Edited by FTF
  • Like 1

• Founder / Operator

I tend to agree that the Sunday drop won't hit 30%. I just also can't see it coming very close to Avengers' 18%.

Edited by ShawnMR
  • Like 2

hmm, so far this looks kind of disappointing

Ahhh, the inevitable "this is disappointing" post.

A film has to literally break records or people on this forum always bring up disappointment when discussing the numbers.

• Like 1