Shawn Robbins

Weekend Discussion: IM3 @ 175.3m wknd est

I saw GREEN LANTERN an hour ago. (your avatar reminded me  :lol: )

It's such a cool character and with an OW of 50 M back in 2011, it surely showed that people cared. It tumbled though because WB murdered it. If there's gonna be a new one, I don't think they should replace Reynolds.

When it seemed like Green Lantern was gonna do quite well early in it's OW somebody went through the whole GL thread on BOM dishing crow to anyone who had anything negative to say. I forgot who that was.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 1

Fixed and Fixed.

What do they say about opinions. You are talking about a movie which had huge critical and audience appeal.

Anyway why are we talking about Prestige. Nolan brand took off with TDK. Inception definitely benefited by that. PR has nothing. Del Toro is a good director but to most general audience he is unknown. Plus this does not have any other pull. Transformers kind of marketing is not sufficient as we have seen before. Plus WB has dropped the ball with its marketing. I think they will focus on OS markets where also I am skeptical about 700M. Transformers 3 made 771M but that was as sequel. I think this has a smaller ceiling. I am not sure what that is.

When it seemed like Green Lantern was gonna do quite well early in it's OW somebody went through the whole GL thread on BOM dishing crow to anyone who had anything negative to say. I forgot who that was.

I remember that. I think it was Mattrek, actually :rofl:

• Like 3

Maybe the part about Kingsley playing double buff, but damn that was an excellent observation regarding Fing Fang Foom and Killian on Coolio's part!! Wouldn't be surprised if that is what Black intended for some of the diehards to notice. Of course, that would perfectly explain the WTF? fire-breathing moment!!

:excited:

I think you guys are right but the fire-breathing comes straight from the Extremis comics. Mallen, Hansen's domestic terrorist creation, breathed fire and killed a large number of people in several of his attacks. He didn't explode, though, so that was a new addition in the film. 

Well I never make gusty calls as I am rather conservative.

However 9 pm previews lowered the Friday Day business then what it should have been, so I think Friday should increase by a decent %.

Thinking 55-57 million. 

164- 167 million weekend. 

I think it should get around a 5% increase like IM2. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

Director's brand name talk is such BS IMO. Only last year, Whedon with Avengers and Mendes with Skyfall have shown that it is the quality that matters, not the name.

but movies themselves were brand. Avengers was long planned get together of all Marvel SH while Skyfall was a bond film. Plus they were brilliantly marketed and came at the right time( 50th year of Bond and marketing during london olympics). for an unknown director and an original concept I dont see how general audience gets pulled it. Plus marketing has been mediocre.

• Founder / Operator

Director's brand name talk is such BS IMO. Only last year, Whedon with Avengers and Mendes with Skyfall have shown that it is the quality that matters, not the name.

I do think it helps sometimes (Inception and Avatar being strong examples), but it really only applies to opening weekend when the fans and "less casual" moviegoers turn out for hyped up movies. After that first Sunday, it's all about word of mouth.

Does anyone else remember that time that we spent like 20 pages in the GL thread talking about cow sex, or something equally revolting? And Shawn had to go through and delete it all :rofl:

• Like 4

I think you guys are right but the fire-breathing comes straight from the Extremis comics. Mallen, Hansen's domestic terrorist creation, breathed fire and killed a large number of people in several of his attacks. He didn't explode, though, so that was a new addition in the film. 

Thanks for confirming that the fire-breathing/fire power part came directly from the Extremis storyline. I have been wondering about that.

How about NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW! IM1=BBIM2<TDKIM3>TDKR So about even.

I'll give my honest opinion later tonight as for the 3rd movies, but Iron Man 2 really fucked a possible great trilogy.

I saw GREEN LANTERN an hour ago. (your avatar reminded me  :lol: )

It's such a cool character and with an OW of 50 M back in 2011, it surely showed that people cared. It tumbled though because WB murdered it. If there's gonna be a new one, I don't think they should replace Reynolds.

Sorry for being OT.

Green Lantern ripped my heart out and stomped on it. Hal Jordan is my favorite DC character and I hated everything they did to him in that movie. Seeing that on opening weekend was one of the worst experiences I've had in a theater. I wanted to get up and leave any number of times and I'm sure most of the audience felt the same. Now Green Lantern is pretty much ruined for the movies.  :angry:

Do we give it a week to start comparing the TDK trilogy to the IronMan trilogy?

:rofl: I don't think there is much of a comparison to be made. 

• Like 1

• Founder / Operator

Does anyone else remember that time that we spent like 20 pages in the GL thread talking about cow sex, or something equally revolting? And Shawn had to go through and delete it all :rofl:

I think I remember that... and I think the entire deletion process may have taken all of the mods at the time since we were at Mojo. :lol:

(Which was mainly Impact, Vanilla, Scott, and myself.)

Edited by ShawnMR
  • Like 1