Shawn Robbins

Weekend Discussion: IM3 @ 175.3m wknd est

My crowd seemed to like the movie.....but I wouldn't say they loved it, to be honest. Lot of "Yea, it was good" comments while I was leaving the theater, but no real raves. Laughs throughout, but no "whoas" or "that's awesome" type reactions. 

Based on what precedent?

I simply don't think that after a 15.6M midnight, it's going to barely add 36M on Friday to make 51.6M and then to increase. It's midnight opening is too big to score that low on Friday.

So.....1. Will IM3 open higher than TDKR?2. Will IM3 open higher than DH2?Post your fucking opinions. Those who get both right will get hypothetical cookies.

1. Probably.

2. I don't think so. 

hey lest not forget TA opening weekend ^^^ I served a lot of crow on the world of kj forums that weekend with people dimissing my theater reports...

I still dont see any pattern that can let us extrapolate canada gross to overall domestic number. Some movies(like potter/lotr) do lot better in canada compared to other movies. So I am not convinced we can just take that as a gospel.

Anyway it is going to be HUGE. As I said it will be between 160-180M. I still doubt it will have avengers kind of OW and so smaller saturday increase and bigger sunday drop. So my OW extrapolation is 170M for now.

I simply don't think that after a 15.6M midnight, it's going to barely add 36M on Friday to make 51.6M and then to increase. It's midnight opening is too big to score that low on Friday.

I think 51.6M figure was excluding previews.

• Founder / Operator

Just to clarify, my $149m was including previews. I'm aware I'm low balling it, but I think it's going to closer to that than all this $170m+ being thron around.

In that case, I revert to my original statement: you're going to get waylaid around here today. :P

(But I'm in your camp on that second sentence.) ;)

Just to clarify, my $149m was including previews. I'm aware I'm low balling it, but I think it's going to closer to that than all this $170m+ being thron around.

That would be a mediocre number and drop in admissions compared to IM2. I am skeptical it will go that low. Plus that means since this opened at 9PM crowd which normally would have gone for friday evening show went for thursday 9PM show since that ended at a sane hour.