Shawn Robbins

Weekend Discussion: IM3 @ 175.3m wknd est

If I remember correctly, Saturday went down a tad, Friday went up a tad, but Sunday completely obliterated it's initial projection. Came up about $7 million from what it was originally predicted to get. I don't think there will ever be a Sunday hold like that ever again.

Yeah that Sunday was insane. I remember the forums at the time were debating which was more impressive TA's Fri day biz, it's Sat, or it's Sun. Arguments can be made for any of those. Sun matinee was so massive it spilled over into Sun evening, and a lil bit into Monday as well. And this was May Pre-summer lol.

TA almost did 80M 70M 60M.

Will TA2 do 100M 80M 70M?? Can't wait!!

Pretty sure 90% of people who saw it on Thursday night would have seen it at midnight anyway. And the people who weren't able to see it at midnight would have seen it during opening day anyway.In other words, if you seriously are going to use Thursday previews as an excuse for beating DH2's OW...

While that is true to a certain extent, I don't think it's the right course of action.  At all.

It sets a bad precedent and if Disney isn't going to separate the numbers, then you can be damn sure no one else will.

Edited by Omega Boner

Pretty sure 90% of people who saw it on Thursday night would have seen it at midnight anyway. And the people who weren't able to see it at midnight would have seen it during opening day anyway.In other words, if you seriously are going to use Thursday previews as an excuse for beating DH2's OW...

It will happen*. Edited by iTz ED

Top 3. ;)

Not sure. 

IM3 is a lock for top three. 

Then you have Thor2 that can potentially be massive abroad, Hobbit 2 and CF. One will fail to be in the top 3 and since OS markets are often the ones that make the biggest difference for the global BO, i think CF will be number fourth while Thor2 will cruise pass $900 millions with a $650 - $700 OS.

Edited by Ent

I definitely think Thor could make $1b pretty easily. Captain America probably not, since he's less popular than Thor overseas, but doubling the first film's WW gross would not surprise me.

Although ironically Captain AMERICA made more OS than Dom :P. But i think like hobby collectors, OS audiences will probly wanna be completionists... a lot of them will go see Captain America because it's part of the Avengers franchise. At this point i'm wondering how Marvel is gonna sell the GotG because at first glance it has no direct connection to Avengers so far.

Holy shit China! And Korea!

Edit: I've completely neglected to check the Int'l threads because of the crazy Sat dom #s haha

Edited by jse

While that is true to a certain extent, I don't think it's the right course of action.  At all.

It sets a bad precedent and if Disney isn't going to separate the numbers, then you can be damn sure no one else will.

The entire industry has been doing it this way since Aurora. Sucks that they're doing it, but there is nothing we can do about it other than put an asterisk on any record-breaking "preview" performance in the future.

Why is is so important to people here to have the Thursday numbers separated? The whole non-controversy makes no sense to me.

The entire industry has been doing it this way since Aurora. Sucks that they're doing it, but there is nothing we can do about it other than put an asterisk on any record-breaking "preview" performance in the future.

At least it's sticking to 9PM and up..,

Oh, I know.  but besides BD2, there really hasn't been a mega-opener to take full advantage of those previews.  Most have done less than $1m.

Why is is so important to people here to have the Thursday numbers separated? The whole non-controversy makes no sense to me.

Because it skews the numbers.

At least it's sticking to 9PM and up..,

For now it is.

• Like 1

Oh, I know.  but besides BD2, there really hasn't been a mega-opener to take full advantage of those previews.  Most have done less than $1m.

Because it skews the numbers.

For now it is.

Skews them how? Because people here want to play with Friday-Sunday numbers only? I'm sure nobody in the industry cares since what they're looking at is the raw numbers for their films' openings.