Shawn Robbins

Weekend Discussion: IM3 @ 175.3m wknd est

He was iconic enough to me. I remember having Iron Man toys and watching cartoons that featured the character in the 1990's.

But that's just the thing. You had to be a fan of specifically IM to have enough awareness and be brought about to care about him before the movies. I vaguely remember him on the Avengers cartoon of the 90s, but that's about it. 

Oh, when I went to see IM3, most people were ho hum at all the trailers showing, (including Star Trek and MOS) and the beginning of Thor 2, but when Loki shows up at the end, the boom from the crowd was very deafening. Thor is going to be big from both the male and female demos. Loki very well might end up being the Jack Sparrow of the Avengers universe after everything is said and done.

My showing was different. The whole trialer got no reaction to my surprise. TLR had a bigger one. He'll become an iconic character, but JS is a little much and many people still dont know Tom Hiddlestons name.

DS didn't make a dent in the Avengers 2nd weekend.

True, but again with good WOM, I can't imagine why it would drop more than Iron Man 2 did (59.4). Also, this is the big family film. Kids are gonna go next weekend as well. Maybe not to the extent of Avengers, but I'm not expecting this to hold as well as that did. 

He was iconic enough to me. I remember having Iron Man toys and watching cartoons that featured the character in the 1990's.

Being iconic to you doesn't make IM iconic. I also had an IM toy, and I knew who the Superheroes were. But, I was also into comics as a kid. I guarantee you most of the GA had no clue who IM was. It was the marketing and the fact the film looked fun and opened the summer that it had a  $100M OW. The fact the film was about IM had little to do with its OW. Also, Green Lantern is likely more iconic than IM and that film flopped because it looked bad. Same thing for Fantastic Four which I would argue was of the same level of GA awareness or even slightly better, but look at how that film did. Heck, look at how Superman Returns and Batman Begins did. It wasn't IM that sold the GA. It was the great marketing. Most people prior to 2008 had no clue who IM was.

True, but again with good WOM, I can't imagine why it would drop more than Iron Man 2 did (59.4). Also, this is the big family film. Kids are gonna go next weekend as well. Maybe not to the extent of Avengers, but I'm not expecting this to hold as well as that did. 

??? Agreeing with your 55% drop.

It was a virtually unknown commodity among general audiences before the first film and even among comic book fans it was B-List at best.

I can confirm this.  I was part of a friendly discussion at a theater before the first Spider-Man movie, and I was trying to tell everyone how awesome Iron Man is.  The attitudes ranged from "meh" to "who?"  Nobody knew who he was, or cared.  Even in recent years, when the character has gotten more attention, he was one of the most hated heroes in comics.  Marvel took a big chance in basing their movie franchise on his character.

• Like 2

Being iconic to you doesn't make IM iconic. I also had an IM toy, and I knew who the Superheroes were. But, I was also into comics as a kid. I guarantee you most of the GA had no clue who IM was. It was the marketing and the fact the film looked fun and opened the summer that it had a  $100M OW. The fact the film was about IM had little to do with its OW. Also, Green Lantern is likely more iconic than IM and that film flopped because it looked bad. Same thing for Fantastic Four which I would argue was of the same level of GA awareness or even slightly better, but look at how that film did. Heck, look at how Superman Returns and Batman Begins did. It wasn't IM that sold the GA. It was the great marketing. Most people prior to 2008 had no clue who IM was.

I agree. I'm just saying the film didn't go from $0 to $100m just because of good marketing and strong reviews. There was a base of support for it, probably in the $50m range. To me that's an iconic character.

I agree. I'm just saying the film didn't go from $0 to $100m just because of good marketing and strong reviews. There was a base of support for it, probably in the $50m range. To me that's an iconic character.

$50M is pushing it.

No it is not.

It is. As RMCarpenter pointed out, most people did not know who he was and some others hated the character for what he stood for. Stan Lee himself has admitted so. Also, why can't great promotion, a great release date and a fascinating lead guarantee a grand opening? I Am Legend and CotBP also had great openings and their lead characters weren't iconic before the movies at all.

• Like 1

Your ass is even more iconic.

Excellent OW. Ended up exactly where I wanted/expected. I'll wait until RTH says something before I trust the Sun number though. If it had such a great Sat it may be underestimated on Sunday too.

And lol at all the other movie's drops. Excluding Oz and Croods that is, which I'm guessing was from IM3 family spillover on sold out shows. Pain and Gain likely won't even hit 50m.

Edited by IronMan89

It is. As RMCarpenter pointed out, most people did not know who he was and some others hated the character for what he stood for. Stan Lee himself has admitted so. Also, why can't great promotion, a great release date and a fascinating lead guarantee a grand opening? I Am Legend and CotBP also had great openings and their lead characters weren't iconic before the movies at all.

Why did people hate the character? I've never read any of the comics, but I liked the cartoon and thought the character was cool.

Growing up in Florida, I went to Marvel's Superhero Island at Universal Studios at least ten or fifteen times before the first Iron Man came out.  Iron Man was a giant figure rising above the entrance to the park, he walked around in costume, and his merchandise was in every store.  I promise you I was not the only little kid who reacted to Iron Man at these parks. Plenty of kids and teenagers around me pointed up at his poster and bought the coffee mugs and action figures of his. I know this is an odd example, but Iron Man was not at all unknown in the slightest.  

• Like 1

Why did people hate the character? I've never read any of the comics, but I liked the cartoon and thought the character was cool.

Millionaire coming from a weapons manufacturing background. Most folks found him to be too Ayn Rand-esque capitalist hero. And the playboy thing made him unrelatable as well. Lee deliberately set out to make an unlikeable character interesting. Tony's ideologies were pitted against the more idealistic "everyman" Captain America many times in the comic. Things came to a head in the Civil War event when the two disagreed over whether superhumans should be forced to register their identities with the government for public safety or not. Tony was Pro-Registration, Cap was Anti-Registration. 

• Like 1