Shawn Robbins

Weekend Discussion: IM3 @ 175.3m wknd est

Why did people hate the character? I've never read any of the comics, but I liked the cartoon and thought the character was cool.

He was a major douche bag in the Civil War storyline.

• Like 1

Millionaire coming from a weapons manufacturing background. Most folks found him to be too Ayn Rand-esque capitalist hero. And the playboy thing made him unrelatable as well. Lee deliberately set out to make an unlikeable character interesting. Tony's ideologies were pitted against the more idealistic "everyman" Captain America many times in the comic. Things came to a head in the Civil War event when the two disagreed over whether superhumans should be forced to register their identities with the government for public safety or not. Tony was Pro-Registration, Cap was Anti-Registration. 

Yikes, that is pretty Nazi-esque of Tony to support that kind of thing.

From personal experience I never knew any non-comic fans familiar with Iron Man and I myself was only very vaguely familiar with him before the movie (I was never into comics). I actually knew more about Green Lantern than IM.I honestly though don't know how well known he was in general, but I think it's safe to rule out "iconic" like Superman/Batman/Spidey, etc.

Pretty sweet that Mud is performing well as counterprograming to IM3. Could reach 15m, or 10x as much as Take Shelter made. Good for Jeff Nichols! 

Pain and Gain pretty much collapsed, but I think Paramount pretty much knew the deal going into this weekend. Probably won't hit 50m, not a disaster given the budget, but it means that Bay probably won't try a film like this again. Ugh. 

Oblivion held laughably. Who would have thought a month ago that freaking 42 would outgross it domestically? 

Pines has had a fairly disappointing expansion after its strong start. It won't break 25m. 

I imagine Olympus Has Fallen will get some huge dollar expansion and a push to 100m. It's so close it can taste it. 

Growing up in Florida, I went to Marvel's Superhero Island at Universal Studios at least ten or fifteen times before the first Iron Man came out.  Iron Man was a giant figure rising above the entrance to the park, he walked around in costume, and his merchandise was in every store.  I promise you I was not the only little kid who reacted to Iron Man at these parks. Plenty of kids and teenagers around me pointed up at his poster and bought the coffee mugs and action figures of his. I know this is an odd example, but Iron Man was not at all unknown in the slightest.  

Was this just before 2008 or during 2008? Anyway, you are talking about Marvel Superhero Island and tourists (especially kids) pointing at sights and exhibits at said location. Not really a good example.

Pretty sweet that Mud is performing well as counterprograming to IM3. Could reach 15m, or 10x as much as Take Shelter made. Good for Jeff Nichols! 

Pain and Gain pretty much collapsed, but I think Paramount pretty much knew the deal going into this weekend. Probably won't hit 50m, not a disaster given the budget, but it means that Bay probably won't try a film like this again. Ugh. 

Oblivion held laughably. Who would have thought a month ago that freaking 42 would outgross it domestically? 

Pines has had a fairly disappointing expansion after its strong start. It won't break 25m. 

I imagine Olympus Has Fallen will get some huge dollar expansion and a push to 100m. It's so close it can taste it. 

I do not understand this post. Why are you talking about things that are not Iron Man 3?

• Like 7

I agree. I'm just saying the film didn't go from $0 to $100m just because of good marketing and strong reviews. There was a base of support for it, probably in the $50m range. To me that's an iconic character.

I don't think $50m would have been unreasonable if IM1 hadn't appealed well to the general public. Green Lantern is the perfect example. Horrid marketing, but it still has a devoted comic base that lead it to a $50m+ OW. And I think Iron Man was pretty much on the same playing field as Green Lantern as far as familiarity with audiences, so I think that's a good comparison of what its OW would have been if marketing hadn't clicked with the GA. Most of these comic movies have dedicated audiences that will lead to a decent OW. I don't think that means IM was "iconic" though outside of his core base before the movie.

• Like 1

Was this just before 2008 or during 2008? Anyway, you are talking about Marvel Superhero Island and tourists (especially kids) pointing at sights and exhibits at said location. Not really a good example.

Well, well before 2008 (since 2001, at least), and it indicates a large general awareness of who Iron Man is.  They weren't just pointing- they knew this guy was Iron Man. 

Yikes, that is pretty Nazi-esque of Tony to support that kind of thing.

They tried to justify Tony's stance by having a superhero or villain (don't remember properly) lose control of the radioactive powers they had and decimate miles and miles of the surrounding populated area through the fallout. That incident convinced Tony that superhumans were a lethal threat to public safety and that the government was right in wanting all of them register their secret identities with them. He was still a shortsighted mega douche though. He manipulated poor Peter Parker (who was working for him at the time) to come out with his identity to the public and after Peter did so, Peter and his loved ones were targeted by Spider-Man's villains, with Aunt May getting shot and on death's bed.

How Peter and Mary Jane saved Aunt May though is another disastrous story altogether! 

• Like 1

I don't think $50m would have been unreasonable if IM1 hadn't appealed well to the general public. Green Lantern is the perfect example. Horrid marketing, but it still has a devoted comic base that lead it to a $50m+ OW. And I think Iron Man was pretty much on the same playing field as Green Lantern as far as familiarity with audiences, so I think that's a good comparison of what its OW would have been if marketing hadn't clicked with the GA. Most of these comic movies have dedicated audiences that will lead to a decent OW. I don't think that means IM was "iconic" though outside of his core base before the movie.

Exactly, GL is a very good comparison. That film had atrocious buzz and poor marketing, but still managed above $50m for the opening weekend. I didn't even know who Green Lantern was as a kid, but I was pretty familiar with Iron Man because of the cartoon.

• Like 1

Iron Man was much, much more famous than Green Lantern prior to the movies. Hell, I was a big comic book fan as a kid and I didn't even know who Green Lantern was prior to about 2009.  

Iron Man has been one of the central characters of the Marvel universe since 1963.  No, he hadn't broken out into the mainstream like Spider-Man or Batman before RDJ was cast and the buzz started at Comic Con in September 2007.  But the awareness and revenue from blockbuster films and the accompanying merchandise dwarf their comic-related counterparts.  Amazingly, Iron Man is now the no.1 superhero worldwide, with prospects of retaining that crown for the next 3-5 years. 

• Like 1

Iron Man was an A-lister in the comic books. Had his own title forever. Original Avenger and core Avenger. He was behind Spider-Man, Hulk and Wolverine in recognition. Individually, he was in a mix with Captain America and Thor. The GL comp is a good one. I believe and can't possibly prove that GL and Iron Man shouldn't be two to three hundred million apart domestically. GL is worst case and IM is best case. The IM trilogy is great, great stuff. RDJ is awesome. GL? Sigh.

• Like 1

Iron Man was much, much more famous than Green Lantern prior to the movies. Hell, I was a big comic book fan as a kid and I didn't even know who Green Lantern was prior to about 2009.  

You're probably right. I don't know how the heck I knew about Green Lantern then though. :P

• Like 1

Amazingly, Iron Man is now the no.1 superhero worldwide, with prospects of retaining that crown for the next 3-5 years. 

Yeah no denying that. Pretty damn amazing too when you still got Spidey, Batman, and Supes movies out there.

• Like 1

Exactly, GL is a very good comparison. That film had atrocious buzz and poor marketing, but still managed above $50m for the opening weekend. I didn't even know who Green Lantern was as a kid, but I was pretty familiar with Iron Man because of the cartoon.

But GL had amazing Justice League and Justice League Unlimited cartoons. Also, GL was 2011! The "Golden Age of Superhero Movies" was already a few years old by then. I feel that era really hit its stride with IM and TDK in 2008. In fact, you could even say that IM goodwill could have influenced good GL opening. Audiences must have thought checking out unknown superhero movie would pay off in the same way as IM. Alas! 

I was more familiar with Green Hornet because of the old TV show. How did you manage to find out about Green Lantern? lol

Probably through one of the old DC animated shows. I used to watch those as a kid and I think Green Lantern was involved as part of the Justice League on one of em.

• Like 1