Shawn Robbins

Weekend Discussion: IM3 @ 175.3m wknd est

• Founder / Operator

Pretty much around low 160s which wouldn't be a disaster.

Realistically speaking, it's impossible for this to be a disaster at this point. A disaster would have been a lower opening than the first movie. :lol:

But, relative to fan and forum expectations, "disaster" tends to take on new meanings. 75-80% would put this on target for $155-165m this weekend. Either end of that range would be great.

• Founder / Operator

To the 33 guests in this thread, please register and enjoy the fun.  :D

Seconded. :)

Who knows, one or two of them could be from Marvel/Disney.  :ph34r:

• Like 1

Look I am a guy and I would rank THG ahead of most of the HP films...Its that for it break out to 200+ million it needs guys and I think interest from guys peaked with THG...

That's all fine and dandy, but don't say THG was a love story. Almost every movie has some sort of love story, hell even IM had more of a love story than THG. Did that turn off people from watching the sequels?

• Founder / Operator

Just think the Saturday increase (-Thursday) and Sunday decrease will be closer to the original Iron Man than the Avengers.

Why not Iron Man 2, though?

One thing that is hard to tell is how much of an impact there was on pre-sales because of the standoff between Disney and theater chains. Some theaters didn't even offer pre-sales until the dispute was resolved, which wasn't until the last minute.

That's the big question mark for me.  If, despite this factor, it was at 75-80% of Avengers presales for the weekend, that would suggest that had we seen typical/clean presale availability, it would have performed HIGHER than that 75-80%.

Realistically speaking, it's impossible for this to be a disaster at this point. A disaster would have been a lower opening than the first movie. :lol: But, relative to fan and forum expectations, "disaster" tends to take on new meanings. 75-80% would put this on target for $155-165m this weekend. Either end of that range would be great.

Yeah right where I (&most others) thought, good to see we can still project accurately

• Founder / Operator

That's the big question mark for me.  If, despite this factor, it was at 75-80% of Avengers presales for the weekend, that would suggest that had we seen typical/clean presale availability, it would have performed HIGHER than that 75-80%.

I think we're grasping at straws at that point though. Pre-sale activity is usually driven by fans until the final day or two before release, and they'll find a way to get a ticket. General audiences start purchasing tickets in those final days before release.

One thing they should do for CF is play the revolution aspect...

It would be the big thing that draws in the general audiences like the Tournament did for THG.

Personally I think CF will have the biggest weekend by attendence and largest gross in attedence (still have to see the actual grosses)

Face it, a lot of you non fans were interested about a film with a tournament about kids fighting to the death... :)

I don't think the dispute had a big effect, honestly. Those who are big enough fans to buy tickets a week in advance would still buy advance tickets when they became available.