Mockingjay Raphael

Jurassic World OS | 1.015B OS | 1.667B WW | China 228m, United Kingdom 100.5m, Japan 74.8m

Dunno if anyone's interested but I added up all the openings of Furious 7 and Jurassic World in all countries outside North America (I defined "opening" as anything earned by the film up to its first Sunday). The results are:

Furious 7: $333.76M
Jurassic World: $328.4M

Pretty close but still Furious 7 is the winner. They are second and third all time respectively, behind none other than Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2 which made $343.72M.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gokai Red said:

Nice to see some perspective. I wonder how much DH2 would have made in today's blockbuster climate.

To add a bit more perspective, if we look at total-gross-to-opening-weekend ratios:

HP7 - P2: 2.79

JW: 3.09

FF7: 3.48

FF7 has a much bigger mutliplier. However, HP7 - P2 and JW had a full 3-day weekend in China (and possibly previews - can't remember about HP7 - P2). FF7 had a single-day opening in China (Sunday). If it had been released on Friday, it would now hold the overseas opening-weekend record but it would also have a lower multiplier. Therefore this mulitplier doesn't indicate less front-loadedness. If anything, it demonstrates how much China can influence the numbers because it is a really big market.

We can work backwards to show this might be the case: FF7 grossed $390.91M in China. If it had had a 3-day opening, its Chinese multiplier would have been, let's say, 2.8. Therefore to earn $390M in total, its 3-day opening should have been $139.61M (=390.91/2.8), instead of $64.32M Sunday opening. That adds up to a $409.05M (=333.76-64.32+139.61) overseas opening weekend and a 2.84 multiplier (=1162/409.05), which makes much more sense for a blockbuster and is in line with the values for HP7- P2 and JW.

• Like 2

You could add Furious 7's first Monday and Tuesday in China and it'd still be lower than if it had opened on a Friday there.  Jurassic World got Wed-Sun there so I think it's more than fair.  Also highlights just how crazy F7's china numbers are.

9 hours ago, IMojammer said:

You could add Furious 7's first Monday and Tuesday in China and it'd still be lower than if it had opened on a Friday there.  Jurassic World got Wed-Sun there so I think it's more than fair.  Also highlights just how crazy F7's china numbers are.

Well that's because Monday and Tuesday were weekdays. Friday and Saturday would definitely generate more business than those two days.

5 hours ago, KP1025 said:

Updated OS total: $1,015,417,313

http://www.upi-boxoffice.com/

Worldwide total: $1,667,343,818

BOM may update that gross, if they have the time. :)

And i have noticed that they have updated some higher OS-totals of other Universal-movies in there.

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34

1 hour ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

BOM may update that gross, if they have the time. :)

And i have noticed that they have updated some higher OS-totals of other Universal-movies in there.

It looks as if they're finally getting their sh*t together. Although I still don't read the weekend articles.

• Like 1

Updated gross:

Domestic: $652,270,625 

WW:  $1,670,218,157

So without China, JW didnt even manage 800m OS.

Actually, without China, only 5 movies made over 800m OS: Avatar and Titanic, obviously, DH2 (900m), Frozen (827m) and The Avengers (810m). It's a very select club and just goes to show what a big factor China is nowadays.

1 hour ago, James said:

Actually, without China, only 5 movies made over 800m OS: Avatar and Titanic, obviously, DH2 (900m), Frozen (827m) and The Avengers (810m). It's a very select club and just goes to show what a big factor China is nowadays.

With current exchange rates, just Avatar and Titanic did it. The other 3 would had not reach that amount.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, James said:

With current exchange rates, just Avatar and Titanic did it. The other 3 would had not reach that amount.

Fact is they did it. And I dont see any movie managing that till Fantastic Beasts comes next year.

Trimis de pe al meu SM-J100H folosind Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, James said:

Fact is they did it. And I dont see any movie managing that till Fantastic Beasts comes next year.

Sure. Warner and Disney earned that amount and Universal don't, but you know that it is not a fair comparison.

And Star Wars will do it before Fantastic Beasts.

7 minutes ago, James said:

Sure. Warner and Disney earned that amount and Universal don't, but you know that it is not a fair comparison.

And Star Wars will do it before Fantastic Beasts.

Ofc it is not. Just like movies nowadays making 1b OS with China have an unfair advantage compared to movies in the past.

As for SW, I expect it to be bigger OS overall (OS +China), but a bit smaller than FB when it comes to OS-China.

SW 790m OS + 200 smth m from China

FB 810m OS + 100 smth m from China.