grim22

The Meg | Aug 10 2018 | WB-China co-production | IMAX 3D | Jon Turteltaub directing. Jason Statham fights a shark. Li Bingbing replaces Fan Bingbing.

3 hours ago, a2knet said:

I am glad it's not R-rated. Tension > Gore.

They are not mutually exclusive but sometimes feels like gore can be an easy way out.

Doesn’t have to be for gore, see Conjuring, Annabelle. 

But people getting killed by sharks should be R. 

The Shallows and 47 Meters Down were PG13 and great, but they were more about the situation rather than the eating of people lol. 

It could still be a 15 here in the UK anyway with a pg13. Or a 12A. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bishop54 said:

Is it really necessary to have a $150M+ shark movie? The Shallows did it very well at $17M. 

Yes, yes it is. I want my Jason Statham vs giant shark movie to be expensive, but look cheap. Its the only way it can be done.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Impossible said:

What a ridiculous budget especially since astrakhan hasn’t proven he could carry a film this expensive. The shark movies in the past couple years have been successful due to low budget.

Yes, well, CGI is expensive.  And this isn't a low budget film with one setting like The Shallows and 47 Metres Down.  

Everyone here is talking about this film like it's a campy send up of shark films.  But if you read the book, it's anything but.  The book is actually really good imo and I'm excited to see what they do with this film.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, baumer said:

Yes, well, CGI is expensive.  And this isn't a low budget film with one setting like The Shallows and 47 Metres Down.  

Everyone here is talking about this film like it's a campy send up of shark films.  But if you read the book, it's anything but.  The book is actually really good imo and I'm excited to see what they do with this film.

The Meg isn't a shark movie, it's a giant monster movie akin to Godzilla or Kong.

• Astonished 1