Alli

Thursday numbers (Asgard) R1 16.9,Sing 9.8,Pass 3.1, Ass 2.8 (pg6)

Very solid hold for Rogue One. +40% on Friday, -40% on Saturday and +100% on Sunday off of a $16.5m Thursday gets it to ~$65m for the weekend, which would be -58% and a solid hold considering holds will be terrific next weekend. Anything beyond $65m seems like gravy at this point, but $280m+ by Sunday/$300m+ by Monday seems pretty well-assured.

Those are solid holds for Sing and Passengers, considering that precedent from 2011 suggests holdovers rise on Thursday/Wednesday openers dip slightly. $80m+ six-day looking good for Sing, and Passengers will probably do over/under $25m. 

Yikes at Assassin's Creed. Going to have to lower my Derby number...again...still, I'll take these numbers with a grain of salt considering it's not yet 6pm on the West Coast.

Edited by Eevin
  • Like 4

I can see Passengers reaching 100m just fine.

Shame Assassin's Creed turned out to not be as good as it was hoped to be. Still, at least we got Warcraft this year, a rare video game movie that was genuinely fun and well-made, just shame that the studio made them cut like 20 minutes out of it that were sorely needed for some extra explaining.

25 minutes ago, Christmas Baumer said:

I really don't think R1 will jump 100% on CD.

I really don't either. It's definitely going to be higher than that. You're kidding right? Sherlock Holmes 2 jumped nearly 150%, why would Rogue One not even jump 100%? It's going to fall to $12-13M on X-mas eve, so yes, it's entirely reasonable to say it'll increase to near $30M Christmas Day and probably stay there Monday too. Something like 12-28-28 Saturday-Sunday-Monday.

• Like 3

Yes you are right. I don't know why I do think it would follow at least somewhat of the same pattern. But looking at other years it should jump more than 100% for sure.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Daxtreme said:

fLMXauUjQPe289EjVo9h_Stairs%20Mattress%2

shouldn't that mattress be, at minimum, half way down, and, logically, at the bottom?

I've seen Rogue One and Passengers. Being me, I'm going to see Passengers a couple of more times between now and the 27th (I had to go alone to a movie for the first time ever to see it opening night).  Unlike prevailing critic rating: I loved it.  But I also am going to check out AC before the holidays are over.

Fassy deserves better than this.

To be honest, doesnt the movie industry in general?  RT's 'aggregation' has become a high school star chamber imho. 

I truly don't understand what some people don't get about a movie that made 3m on a Saturday Xmas eve obviously jumping much bigger than a movie that will make 12-15m on the 24th? Again, King Kong is the best comparison we have because it was making more than Game of Shadows. Yet it was still making a mere 4.5m on Xmas Eve Sat and only hit a 94% jump. If that type of a pattern from Game of Shadows to King Kong held, R1 could jump as low as 50% on CD based on how big it will be grossing. I think it will be around 75% personally. Could see something like 22-13-23 for the weekend. 

5 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I truly don't understand what some people don't get about a movie that made 3m on a Saturday Xmas eve obviously jumping much bigger than a movie that will make 12-15m on the 24th? Again, King Kong is the best comparison we have because it was making more than Game of Shadows. Yet it was still making a mere 4.5m on Xmas Eve Sat and only hit a 94% jump. If that type of a pattern from Game of Shadows to King Kong held, R1 could jump as low as 50% on CD based on how big it will be grossing. I think it will be around 75% personally. Could see something like 22-13-23 for the weekend. 

my logic is if its making 16 million on a random Thursday it can make more on X-mas

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Lordmandeep said:

my logic is if its making 16 million on a random Thursday it can make more on X-mas

Christmas is a black hole for movies. I know I have never in my life gone to a movie on Christmas.  I don't say your numbers are wrong, just that you have to squeeze them up and down a bit around Christmas. Monday is a holiday, even for those who work over the holidays, though. So Monday should be really big.

10 minutes ago, trifle said:

Christmas is a black hole for movies. I know I have never in my life gone to a movie on Christmas.  I don't say your numbers are wrong, just that you have to squeeze them up and down a bit around Christmas. Monday is a holiday, even for those who work over the holidays, though. So Monday should be really big.

Christmas is one of the biggest box office days of the year dude. I am totally with you on a personal level, I have only ever seen a movie on X-Mas day one time and that was when I was single, but we are not everyone. Clearly, people are going, because every year X-Mas day is a BIG day for moviegoing. It is not at all a black hole haha that's Christmas Eve :P

Exactly what @Lordmandeep said, though. If it can make $16M on a random Thursday or $17.5M on a random Monday after release, then yes, it can make well more than that on Christmas Day when it's a day off for literally everyone :P

• Like 3

Jesus guys, when I said as a joke that the low end for Rogue One this week-end was 50M... I didn't mean for real :rofl:

The GA are digging this movie, it's not dropping 68% suddenly on Christmas week-end with that kind of reception.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, trifle said:

Christmas is perhaps the biggest single day for movies in North America.

• Like 8