Mulder

Jurassic Park (1993)

Media hype, and word of mouth drove people out to the flick. Something interesting and new for a film. 90's audiences were more interested than today's audiences. Plus great movie and a fantastic run, hell the film last in theatres till the fall of 94 right around its home video release October '94. 

By the way has anybody seen the movie Carnosaur? 

• Like 1

JP, Titanic, LOTR2...are 3 movies that blew me away on the big screen with their visual awe and intimidation, like other movies haven't.

(Raimi's Spidey comes close but a few notches below in my book. Nolan's Inception is also close behind but not quiet there.)

Spielberg, Cameron and PJ...not surprised ^_^.

I wish Raimi was more prolific.

3 hours ago, Maxmoser3 said:

Media hype, and word of mouth drove people out to the flick. Something interesting and new for a film. 90's audiences were more interested than today's audiences. Plus great movie and a fantastic run, hell the film last in theatres till the fall of 94 right around its home video release October '94. 

By the way has anybody seen the movie Carnosaur? 

It also opened epic. 47 3-day, 50 with Thu was huge for 1993.

Just realized Spielberg had JP and Schindler's List in the same year. That guy is above all directors. If there A+ directors then Spielberg is A++.

• Like 3

Epic poster that was everywhere. Universal made billions from merchandise alone. 

Yes, anticipation was enormous though it's ow record only lasted two years and was then demolished by JP2.

On 6/16/2017 at 0:58 PM, excel1 said:

Entertainment Weekly article circa spring 1993

http://ew.com/article/1993/03/12/promoting-jurassic-park/

On the other hand, says a Spielberg spokeswoman, ”No other dinosaur movie has ever been truer to life.” Or had so many studio jobs riding on it. If the film flops, it will be felt deep within the executive ranks at Universal, where Scent of a Woman is the only recent hit. The stakes are even higher for Spielberg, who needs a rebound from 1991’s Hook, which made $119 million but failed to live up to industry expectations.

was Hook the first 100 million disappointment? I think so

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, John Rambo said:

Yea i think so but it did solid business OS. Spielberg was at peak during this time due to this Hook's DOM gross looked disappointing! 

how on earth did JP impact Hook. Hook released couple of years before JP. Hook was not a BO flop but was a disappointment considering the budget and profile. Plus Hoffman, spielberg and williams took 40% off gross BO and so that made it less attractive. 

On 2/17/2017 at 7:41 PM, MrPink said:

I still love LAH :sadben:

Never seen it but need to. It's wild reading predictions from 1993. Some thought LAH might beat JP. Arnold sending rockets into space as promo. Just crazy shit. At least he had one last hurrah the following year with True Lies.