Plain Old Tele

BOT: The Revisiting! The Top 25 of 2007 -- It's done! Best Film of 2007 has been revealed!

6 minutes ago, rukaio101 said:

Pfft. This isn't even me at peak opinionated mode. Come back when I start writing 5-part articles on how shit the movie is and then we'll talk.

Also, since when was MMFR not fun?

Did I say MMFR wasn't fun? 

25. Sunshine

starring Cillian Murphy, Michelle Yeoh, Rose Byrne, Chris Evans
written by Alex Garland
directed by Danny Boyle

IMDB synopsis: A team of international astronauts are sent on a dangerous mission to reignite the dying Sun with a nuclear fission bomb in 2057.

SUNSHINE is a who’s who of talent poised on the brink of stardom (though many of them were already well-known and recognized). Chris Evans was still known for “Flame On!” in THE FANTASTIC FOUR, Michelle Yeoh was mainly known for kung fu movies, Rose Byrne hadn’t yet hit her multiple breakouts with BRIDESMAIDS and DAMAGES. Danny Boyle was known as a fun genre director, but he was still away from SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE. And, of course, Alex Garland was a successful novelist and screenwriter but EX-MACHINA was still eight years away.

Years before GRAVITY made it trendy, Garland and Boyle wanted to do a SF movie rooted in relative realism, and although much of their research doesn’t show up in actual dialogue (or is only obliquely referred to), the two of them consulted quite a bit with astrophysicists and scientists. They played freely and loosely with what was realistic and wasn’t, but the general concept and theoretical solution of the problem aren’t that ridiculous. (Nonetheless, the film was criticized by a variety of science publications when it came out).

SUNSHINE cost 40m to make and was too costly for Fox Searchlight to take on, so Boyle was forced to scrabble together various international funds to make the movie. It certainly has its detractors, but also has passionate supporters as well.

Tomatometer: 76%

Random critic comment: “As a pure cinematic experience, it's exhilaratingly, brutally beautiful.” — Tasha Robinson, AV Club

Random RTM comment: “…I really like the movie and enjoy it a lot, probably more than most here. The set designs and special effects look great. Acting performances are my favorites. And the music sounds beautiful. It's in my Top 10 favorite releases of 2007.” — Sam

• Like 12

24. Into the Wild

starring Emile Hirsch, Marcia Gay Hayden, Kirsten Stewart, Hal Holbrook
written by Sean Penn, based on the book by Jon Krakauer
directed by Sean Penn

IMDB synopsis: After graduating from Emory University, top student and athlete Christopher McCandless abandons his possessions, gives his entire $24,000 savings account to charity and hitchhikes to Alaska to live in the wilderness. Along the way, Christopher encounters a series of characters that shape his life.

Based on the bestselling nonfiction book by Jon Krakauer, INTO THE WILD is a thoughtful examination both of a damaged and confused young man and of our human connection with nature. It’s interesting to see people come away with a wide range of opinions (both about the book and movie), ranging from sympathy to frustration to insight and enlightenment. The movie won a Golden Globe for Best Song (by Eddie Vedder), and picked up a couple of Academy Award nominations as well: Best Editing and Best Supporting Actor (for Hal Holbrook).

Tomatometer: 82%

Random critic comment: “Tempting as it might be to dismiss McCandless as a hare-brained hippie, he's not so easily reduced, and Penn does well to honor his slippery nature, even as he's clearly awed by his grand adventure.” — Scott Tobias, AV Club

Random RTM comment: “Excellent movie. I went to see it after school on a Friday afternoon with no idea what to expect and came out floored by how great Emile Hirsch's performance was and what a moving experience it turned out to be.” — Webslinger

• Like 12