FlashMaster659

WEEKEND THREAD | Official Weekend Estimates: Beauty and the Beast - 88.3M; Power Rangers - 40.5M; Life - 12.6M; Other Numbers First Post. Gokira has been threadbanned.

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Yeah, I'm definitely thinking Ghost in the Shell is March's casualty. Been getting a bad feeling about that movie for a while.

I still think GitS pulls in 32/85 which is in line with most people's expectations.

Overseas it should do even better.

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Yeah, I'm definitely thinking Ghost in the Shell is March's casualty. Been getting a bad feeling about that movie for a while.

I don't know. Depends on what one considers bad?   It's pacing ahead of o PR on IMDB and isn't that far off in Want To See on Flixter/RT - is even ahead of F8 there.  I think it could still open around $25-30m

Edited by TalismanRing

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

I don't know. Depends on what one considers bad?   It's pacing ahead of o PR on IMDB and isn't that far off in Want To See on Flixter/RT - is even ahead of F8 there.  I think it could still do $25m+

How can you tell how a film is pacing on IMDB?  BOM uses this in their write-ups, sounds helpful but I don't see this data. Is it for Pro members only?

Edited by Rolling Thunder

7 minutes ago, Rolling Thunder said:

How can you tell how a film is pacing on IMDB?  BOM uses this in their write-ups, sounds helpful but I don't see this data.

It's not for pro members. The ranking is listed on the front page data.  I scan the weekly rankings and note the movement.  Not just the week they open but the rise in the proceeding weeks.

Genre counts because what's good for a drama or comedy isn't good for an action film but  GiTS I think is #21 this week and has been in the top 100 for awhile.

It's just part of the puzzle of course.   RT/Flixter Want To See ratings I've also found to be helpful (again genre dependent) to give me a ballpark figure

Edited by TalismanRing

I'd argue CHiPs, Ghost in the Shell, Boss Baby and Smurfs - The Lost Village will all be casualties of just how strong everything since Get Out has performed. 

This March slate is so well-rounded compared to last year's March lineup. Could end up like: 

Spoiler

B&TB: $174 million/$548 million

Logan: $88 million/$221 million

Kong - Skull Island: $61 million/$163 million

Power Rangers: $42 million/$105 million

Ghost in the Shell: $26 million/$69 million 

The Boss Baby: $20 milion/$66 million 

The Shack: $16 million/$57 million

Life: $15 million/$48 million 

CHiPs: $8 million/$21 million 

The Zookeeper's Wife: $6 million/$19 million 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DAR said:

March has definitely surpassed August as a big box office month

To be fair, a month is just as good as the movie line up is. This August is a joke while March was always expected to be big. 2014 and 2016 showed the potential that August can be a great month. But this March is definetly out of this world.

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 5

That's really good for Power Rangers. Could hit $50m for the weekend at this point, but anyone who thinks it's having Kong legs needs to take a step back. It's bound to be a bit more frontloaded. 

I now await the CHIPS number with delicious anticipation.