YM!

2018: Superhero Underperformance/Peak? Or Complete Domination?

YourMother's anticipated CBM/Superhero list 2017-2018:

I've been a superhero fan since I was 4 and a CBM fan since Spider-Man 2.

Least anticipated to most anticipated:

15.) Venom

This could be good, but it probably won't happen or be a good movie

14.) X-Men: Dark Phoenix 

Meh. The XCU has been a mixed bag for me, only Logan, DOFP, Deadpool, and FC are the great ones. Everything is good to mixed to bad.

13.) Aquaman

Hopefully god Wan will deliver us from my mixed feelings of the DCEU.

12.) New Mutants

I mean I'm not sure what to expect from this. Hopefully it can wow me, I believe in Boone.

11.) Justice League

Snyder has always been a so-so director with a big ego. Although I've been burned by BVS and MOS, I have some faith.

10.) Wonder Woman

Excited for this, but I don't have any good expectations for this but I'll be glad to be wrong, this is the first female superhero movie in a while.

9.) Spider-Man Homecoming 

Looks kind of generic from the trailers but considering how good the MCU is, I have high hopes for this.

8.) Ant Man 2

Loved the first one, hopefully it'll be better than the first.

7.) Guardians 2

The first is in my top ten favorite CBMs and I'm hyped for this especially with positive reactions.

6.) Deadpool 2

With the director of Wick, and the same team as the first, I think this will be something very special.

5.) Thor Rangarok 

God Taiki, nuff said.

4.) Animated Spider-Man 

As a fan of Spidey since I was in diapers, and the team of Lord, Miller, and Hirsch and this being Miles Morales, I am extremely hyped.

3.) Infinity War 

This will probably be one of the biggest CBMs ever, enough to get me on the hype train.

2.) Incredibles 2

The first Incredibles was the first movie I saw in theaters, with Pixar and Bird's genius, this'll probably be the one of the best superhero movies.

1.) Black Panther

As an African American and a CBM fan, I am extremely excited for this. Not to mention Coogler, a fantastic cast, and the power of the MCU helps.

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

oh wait Infinity War is coming next year? i'm already fully on the fuck that movie train. seriously

Why?

The infinity gems are actually a cool concept and the film is based on an above average comic book story arc.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Wut?

I'd say it's the opposite.

Most cowboy archetypes blend in with each other where as superheroes include African kings, Asgardians, patriots, industrialist, teenage nerds, divorced fathers/thieves, sorcerers, archer spies, scientists with split personalities, military women with cosmic powers, cybernetic raccoons and that's just a corner of MCU.

I think thats what they meant.

Superheroes have more variety than westerns and cowboy films.

Maybe its the wording thats confusing?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

Why?

The infinity gems are actually a cool concept and the film is based on an above average comic book story arc.

Because Thanos looks stupid and I just dong need that many hero's in one movie. Fuck that shit

Just now, aabattery said:

My most anticipated upcoming CBM's:

1. Thor Ragnarok

2. Infinity War if they bring Korg into it

3. whatever who cares

Black Panther better be above whatever who cares.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Wut?

I'd say it's the opposite.

Most cowboy archetypes blend in with each other where as superheroes include African kings, Asgardians, patriots, industrialist, teenage nerds, divorced fathers/thieves, sorcerers, archer spies, scientists with split personalities, military women with cosmic powers, cybernetic raccoons and that's just a corner of MCU.

My sentence has probably wrong grammar because we are saying the same thing.

:lol:

• Like 1

GOTG 2: Looks fun as hell.

Wonder Woman: No trailers except the Comic-Con trailer have really peaked my interest but I remain fairly optimistic on the film that it can be DC's first solid effort.

Spider-Man: Homecoming: Okay/decent trailers, but higher hopes cause I loved Civil War's Spider-Man.

Thor: Ragnarok: Looks fucking great.

Justice League: lmao the first trailer was boring and the second looked generic.  Puzzled by the positive reactions to the trailers.

Black Panther: Has a very interesting cast/director, that's for sure.

New Mutants: I love the X-franchise and this has Taylor-Joy and McAvoy (probably) and Boone in the director's chair (as evidenced by TFIOS, he can be great at directing).  Digging it so far.

Infinity War: I suppose the war will be cool, and the GOTG will be a welcome introduction to the team?  Other than that, I'll wait for a trailer.

Deadpool 2: aw hell yeah

Ant-Man 2: aw hell yeah (2)

Venom: I'm very interested in this project.  99% chance it turns out terribly, but even if it is terrible it'll be a glorious sight to behold.

Dark Phoenix: Loved X-Men: Apocalypse, and this has an interesting storyline behind it.  definitely excited for this one.

Animated Spider-Man: Lord/Miller writing.  Hype.

Aquaman: Not digging his character from the JL trailer.  Wan better bring the goods.

Captain Marvel: Queen Brie.  Hype.

Avengers 4: see: Infinity War

Spider-Man: Homecoming 2: Will wait to see how good Homecoming is.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, narniadis said:

this

Personally I think the "collapse" isn't going to be so much financial as it is in a lack of spectacle and frankly suckage. You can only sustain well made films for so long and arguably we haven't seen a truly well made film from this genre in several years - well made does not = well received. No we haven't had tons of Batman and Robins either but as the resources, writers, etc get stretched it will worsen.

I have zero interest to see any of the CBM coming out this year. I loved Logan and now I'm just waiting for next year. My most anticipated CBM is Deadpool 2. I am really looking forward to seeing some John Wick like action coupled with what we got from the first one. I'm also looking to see how they evolve in terms of plot and character. After that I'm excited for infinity war and then Black Panther...what we got in CW from Black Panther just got me really excited for the origin film. The rest im honestly meh about and have no interest in seeing them. I may check them out if I hear really good things about them.