Finnick

MOEDAY NUMBERS (Chapter Two) : APES:$5.79M | SMH:$5.46M | DM3 2.6M | BD 1.2M | WW: 875k

4 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Very true. Get Nolan on WAG if he wants to do something different :P

Seriously I hope WAG does better, but if 2018 a sign I think they have some idea for non Lego IPS like Smallfoot and an untitled film (guessing DC Super Hero Girls or Adventure Time).

Edited by YourMother

3 minutes ago, YourMother said:

If WAG outside of Lego becomes stronger they may be able to challenge Disney for #1 in years without a main saga Star Wars story.

That's a pretty big if. WAG biggest worldwide hit is pretty close to "what went wrong?" Territory for Disney/Pixar.

Just now, kswiston said:

That's a pretty big if. WAG biggest worldwide hit is pretty close to "what went wrong?" Territory for Disney/Pixar.

Still which budgets $60M to $80M they prove to work time and time again.

Just now, YourMother said:

Seriously I hope WAG does better, but if 2018 a sign I think they have some idea for non Lego IPS like Smallfoot and an untitled film (guessing DC Super Hero Girls).

That would be interesting. Gut says they will keep an eye on how Sony's Spidey animation behaves before they do DC animations at a big scale,

You know what would be epic for WAG? Potter. Spielberg wanted to make Potter with animation as the medium when WB approached him, before Dreamworks did Shrek.

If WAG remakes those 7 books with high-quality animation that would be something.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Yeah. And adding 3x the 8th weekend for a movie with this run isn't a big deal.

With a 4.5m weekend (-33%), 389.5 + 3*4.5 = 403 is  looking very legit.

405-410 I say if it has a 5m 8th weekend.

Didn't someone have a 10:1 bet with a sceptic that it wouldn't pass the $400m mark.

I seem to remember a heated discussion a while ago. 

1 minute ago, YourMother said:

Still which budgets $60M to $80M they prove to work time and time again.

That doesn't really mean anything towards being the #1 studio though. Illumination has those same budgets, but actually makes big money. 

Just now, a2knet said:

That would be interesting. Gut says they will keep an eye on how Sony's Spidey animation behaves before they do DC animations at a big scale,

You know what would be epic for WAG? Potter. Spielberg wanted to make Potter with animation as the medium when WB approached him, before Dreamworks did Shrek.

If WAG remakes those 7 books with high-quality animation that would be something.

Yes. However even a cartoony style Harry Potter film with great visuals would be nice to look at.

Also the reason why I think it's DC Super Hero Girls is that they announced an untitled film yesterday for June 1st 2018 days before Comic Con. It has to be something mainly 2D since CGI takes a lot of time. Odds are it's this since they have a TV Show coming out next year and merchandise wise is making some nice bank, or Adventure Time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

885k (-56%)

1.2M (+35%)

900k (-28%)

870k (-3%)

1.3M (+55%)

1.8M (+38%)

1.3M (-30%)

4.4M Weekend, 35% drop

Not hot takes today!

After unWrathOfHanning the number,

4.4 * (1 + 20%) = 5.3 confirmed (-22%)

:P

• Like 9

1 minute ago, kswiston said:

That doesn't really mean anything towards being the #1 studio though. Illumination has those same budgets, but actually makes big money. 

IK but if they find their footing they could make some big numbers eventually.

4 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

The problem with the Lego movies is that they aren't doing that great worldwide. I mean Lego Batman did very poorly overseas.

Sadly this. The highest thing I see for Ninjago worldwide is $250M. I think the humor is a bit out of touch for most foreign audiences.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

The problem with the Lego movies is that they aren't doing that great worldwide. I mean Lego Batman did very poorly overseas.

It was huge here in the UK $33m.

WAG has access to a major library of Hanna-Barbera toons. They need to dust them off the shelves and get really funky with modernizing them.

@YourMother may be right about the June 2018 animation being DC Superhero Girls. Maybe a prequel movie to kick-off the animated series from the My Little Pony creator. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Yes. However even a cartoony style Harry Potter film with great visuals would be nice to look at.

They also left a lot of material out, especially book 4 onward.

4 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Also the reason why I think it's DC Super Hero Girls is that they announced an untitled film yesterday for June 1st 2018 days before Comic Con. It has to be something mainly 2D since CGI takes a lot of time. Odds are it's this since they have a TV Show coming out next year and merchandise wise is making some nice bank, or Adventure Time.

Yeah, thought so considering just a year away.

Edited by a2knet

Just now, Spidey Freak said:

WAG has access to a major library of Hanna-Barbera toons. They need to dust them off the shelves and get really funky with modernizing them.

@YourMother may be right about the June 2018 animation being DC Superhero Girls. Maybe a prequel movie to kick-off the animated series from the My Little Pony creator. 

Another goldmine.They need to throw a big budget at one of those experiments instead of Pan and what not other live-action stuff. But easier to say in hindsight.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

They are. They even are making a Hanna Barbara Cinematic Universe. SCOOB is in 2020, and CGI Jetsons is in development. 

It is either that or Adventure Time but the latter wouldn't make to much sense, since a lot of its audience would be very interesting in Deadpool 2 more than it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Another goldmine.They need to throw a big budget at one of those experiments instead of Pan and what not other live-action stuff. But easier to say in hindsight.

They had some amazing crossover comics recently with those characters and their supers...trying one of those onscreen could be a crazy effective cross-over (my kids LOVED the Bugs Bunny / Legion of Superheroes crossover...and we have no Legion onscreen:)...

• Like 1

Spielberg wanting to make Potter animated and streamline some of the books into one movie shows that even the greats can have unbelievably shit ideas. Potter was lucky it escaped Spielberg's touch. 

• Like 2