Neo

Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves | March 31, 2023 | Paramount | Amazon Prime advance screenings March 19 @ 2 PM

On 4/29/2023 at 8:39 AM, Saul Goodman said:

It just needed a bankable star like The Lost City/Bullet Train had last year. Chris Pine might be internet-popular but when has the man ever been a draw.

Huh? It's gonna end up doing similar numbers to those two movies. Also, I really don't think Brad Pitt - despite the considerably higher profile - is that much of a draw in any case. As has been established, there really isn't such a thing anymore. All in all, it's the budget, the marketing (I liked the trailers but seems I was in the minority and beyond that they weren't very effective with any other material) and yes, there is still very much a miasma around the name that keeps people away.

I think the editing could've been snappier, it definitely felt like it could've used a bit of tightening up, particularly in the first half, I like it though, particularly the action scenes which felt really inventive, even the small scale one like Michelle Rodriguez taking on the guards were fun and had all sorts of stuff going on, her using various objects etc. Both DC and the MCU should be fighting for the directors if they have any sense.

• Like 5

Was there no appeal or just no awareness in general..  Majority who saw it liked it, but many had no idea what to expect i guess and maybe the title turned some off?

It was also budgeted in a way that sometimes makes it easier to get a sequel.. Lets see how it does with streaming. 

if there was such a spend then how come no one anything about it.. the only reason I even knew it existed is i tend to go looking for upcoming movies for actors I like some of what they do. 

16 hours ago, upprdeck said:

Was there no appeal or just no awareness in general..  Majority who saw it liked it, but many had no idea what to expect i guess and maybe the title turned some off?

It was also budgeted in a way that sometimes makes it easier to get a sequel.. Lets see how it does with streaming. 

if there was such a spend then how come no one anything about it.. the only reason I even knew it existed is i tend to go looking for upcoming movies for actors I like some of what they do. 

I maintain that Dungeons and Dragons as a brand is still perceived negatively, even in this era where "nerd shit" like Marvel and Star Wars and Video games dominate. DnD is too niche. A big niche, but still. A big video game or something (that actually had Dungeons and Dragons in the title) a few years ago could've helped "normalize" it. It's kinda difficult to recommend this movie to my friend's bc everytime I have, they've kinda scoffed at it in a "Dungeons and Dragons? That shit's lame af I thought" type way

Edited by Pinacolada
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, John Marston said:

a shame. But it shows that a movie can be good and well received by fans and even critics but will still fail if the GA appeal isn’t there 

2 Chris Pine franchises which do decently in the US but still not great, and faceplant overseas.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Pinacolada said:

I maintain that Dungeons and Dragons as a brand is still perceived negatively, even in this era where "nerd shit" like Marvel and Star Wars and Video games dominate. DnD is too niche. A big niche, but still. A big video game or something (that actually had Dungeons and Dragons in the title) a few years ago could've helped "normalize" it. It's kinda difficult to recommend this movie to my friend's bc everytime I have, they've kinda scoffed at it in a "Dungeons and Dragons? That shit's lame af I thought" type way

Could it also be suffering from the Satanic Panic propaganda of the 80s?. I still know a lot of people who don't like D&D at all due to their church preaching against it & it being demonized and branded one of the faces of the Satanic Panic movement. Even before the film released I saw people I know on Facebook saying they won't be watching that "demonic sh*t". It's unfortunate but I think the stigma is still out there especially among older demographics.

19 minutes ago, cookieleeann said:

Could it also be suffering from the Satanic Panic propaganda of the 80s?. I still know a lot of people who don't like D&D at all due to their church preaching against it & it being demonized and branded one of the faces of the Satanic Panic movement. Even before the film released I saw people I know on Facebook saying they won't be watching that "demonic sh*t". It's unfortunate but I think the stigma is still out there especially among older demographics.

The thing is older people was the main audience of this movie.

This movie lacked a younger audience.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, John Marston said:

a shame. But it shows that a movie can be good and well received by fans and even critics but will still fail if the GA appeal isn’t there 

It just about broke even, but that is probably not good enough for a sequel nowdays, when studios are cutting back. A lot of "borderline" sequels which might have been made a few years ago won't get made today.

1 hour ago, Kon said:

The thing is older people was the main audience of this movie.

This movie lacked a younger audience.

Uh, a lot of young people play D and D.

Getting very tired of these stereotypes of what "young people" are interested in.

12 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Uh, a lot of young people play D and D.

Getting very tired of these stereotypes of what "young people" are interested in.

I said this because I remember how the demographics of the movie where divided. The main audience of this movie was older people.

In the first week, I still remember someone saying it was good the audience was older people because they repeat viewing. That person was wrong.

Edited by Kon

"Even a star’s ability to make audiences swoon isn’t always enough to guarantee that a movie will make money. “Babylon,” an epic about the silent movie era, collapsed at the box office when Paramount released it last December, despite starring Brad Pitt, while “Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves” will lose money even though Chris Pine led the ensemble. Robbins isn’t abandoning the idea of more “Dungeons & Dragons,” though if there’s a sequel, he says, “We’ve got to figure out a way to make it for less.” 

Happy Daniel Bryan GIF by WWE

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

"Even a star’s ability to make audiences swoon isn’t always enough to guarantee that a movie will make money. “Babylon,” an epic about the silent movie era, collapsed at the box office when Paramount released it last December, despite starring Brad Pitt, while “Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves” will lose money even though Chris Pine led the ensemble. Robbins isn’t abandoning the idea of more “Dungeons & Dragons,” though if there’s a sequel, he says, “We’ve got to figure out a way to make it for less.” 

Happy Daniel Bryan GIF by WWE

I'd love it, but sounds like wishful thinking from him when looking at the numbers...

• Like 1