#ED

Weekend Estimates - (BO.com forums <3 RTH)

That's irrelevant. It had terrible legs in 2007. Those legs would be even worse today because frontloading gets worse and worse every year. That's a fact. Look up how blockbusters behaved 10 years ago and compare them to now.

Man it was only 6 years ago and no superhero movie is close to Twilight multiplier

A lot of people, no specific answer to that :lol:

I did just get the news IM3 had a 71% drop on Friday. JESUS CHRIST! On par with IM2. This weekend was it's only chance at a good drop compared to the truckload of competition in the next few weeks. Now it should do IM2 legs at best, or worse.

Comparing Friday to Friday isn't really a good barometer.  Especially when you're talking about it's opening day which is always inflated due to previews/midnights.

So now IM3 faces Trek OW and Gatsby 2nd weekend

Then F6 and THOIII OW, Trek 2nd Weekend, Gatsby 3rd Weekend

Then AE and Epic OW, F6 and THOIII 2nd Weekend, Trek 3rd Weekend Gatsby 4th Weekend

Tough Waters Ahead.  

Yeah I was gonna say Pine but he is not nearly the internet sensation that BC is.  Really doesn't apply to Trek because it is not star driven. Trek has it's own following.

True. Cumberbatch > Pine on the web, but Pine > Cumberbatch with the GA. Its fan driven, but I think some people will go for Pine though. Jack Ryan should define his draw status though.

I see your point but Johnny was actually coming off 2 1 Billion WW films and they dropped 150 Million on that budget   They were obviously expecting "Dark Shadows" to be bigger.  Maybe and this is a hypothetical  maybe if it was a better received film it could of done better against The Avengers the same way Gatsby is doing against IM3 from Friday   But again that's a "What if".  I do agree that Leo is on a roll.  I wonder how well "Wolf on Wall St" can do this winter. Leo is like "What more do have to do to get a damn Oscar", lol.   I love how Leo keeps picking different and unique projects.  I don't think Leo or Denzel for that matter ever has done a sequel.  Deep was in that category before Pirates too. 

I think AiW and Pirates 4, though commercially successful, did a lot to knock Depp off a couple of pegs down in the levels of superstardom. DS BO performance was GA's way of telling Burton/Depp that "Fool us twice.." as trailers kind of showed same old, same old. Plus, DS was based on a really obscure ancient tv show which was apparently cheesy and not that popular during its time. Not so much the case with Gatsby.

Edited by Spidey Freak

Man it was only 6 years ago and no superhero movie is close to Twilight multiplier

But he's right though. Multipliers are going down so noway SM3 gets the same multiplier 6 years later. 

• Like 1

So now IM3 faces Trek OW and Gatsby 2nd weekend

Then F6 and THOIII OW, Trek 2nd Weekend, Gatsby 3rd Weekend

Then AE and Epic OW, F6 and THOIII 2nd Weekend, Trek 3rd Weekend Gatsby 4th Weekend

Tough Waters Ahead.  

Should be around 300M by the time Trek opens. It'll get hit hard but another 100M is definitely possible as MD weekend will soften the blow for it. 

I've seen it in 2D. I'm probably gonna go next week to see it in 3D. 

I think I'm just gonna go ahead and see it in 3D. I saw the trailer in 3d and I was hooked.

I still have to wait a week to see Gatsby. Imma see Evil Dead on monday and Jurassic Park 3D on tuesday, however. After those I seriously need to stop procrastinating and start working on my school papers.  :lol:

At Peeples opening:

Posted Image

Saturday AM Update: The Great Gatsby opened to an excellent $19.4 million on Friday, which puts the movie on pace for at least $50 million for the weekend. Iron Man 3 still took first place, though, with $19.8 million, which is off a rough 71 percent from last Friday. In comparison, The Avengers only fell 64 percent at the same point. Finally, Tyler Perry Presents Peeples bombed with $1.19 million, and is on pace for just over $3 million for the weekend.

Edited by Alpha

What do you mean "only" 6 years ago? That's a long time in box office terms, especially as ticket prices go up every year. Bigger opening, harder fall.

disappointing blockbusters (category that SM3 fits) are still dropping 57-63%, just like 6 years ago  <_<

Wow @ Jay Z being the executive Producer of the Gatsby soundtrack. Leo is said to be a huge Hip Hop fan and even got a NaS song to be featured on "The Blood Diamond" soundtrack and in the actual film "Departed". 

Posted Image

Edited by filmscholar

At Peeples opening:

Posted Image

Holy Shit! What the hell? Tyler Perry must be sitting on his throne, surrounded by muscular oiled black men and going "NO! NOOOOOOOOOOO MY MOVIES CANNOT BOMB! ITS IMPOSSIBLE!" while Spike Lee is showing him the middle finger from the window.

• Like 2

Exactly, Files did inspire those "Kids on an island killing each other for survival" films that are now very popular.  "The Hunger Games" owes some of it's influence to "The Running Man" to me also. 

Hmm, good point about "The Running Man" influencing THG trilogy too. Did not realize that at all.