baumer

Thurs Numbers STID 11.4 GG 3.4 IM3 3.3

Is there a reason that Paramount moved up the release date a week before it came out?  Did they suddenly realize that TH3 and FF6 were probably opening big the weekend after, get scared and move the release date up a day to grab a little extra money?  At least when Sony moved up TASM to Tuesday to put as much distance between it and TDKR they gave a lot of notice.

Again this could be a age thing-but I do see more talk about Hobbit 2 then Catching Fire....

I think it might be an age thing as well.  Hardly anyone in my circles(mostly people in their late 30s or early 40s) is talking about CF, but a lot of them are really excited about seeing Smaug on the big screen.

Copying my post from the other thread.

Humongous disappointment for sure. If friday does not increase to 25M(that looks tough to me) we can say it will end up as biggest disappointment of the year and one of the biggest in past couple of years.

Gatsby has beaten IM3 again. Crazy considering how big the weekend difference was. Today IM3 will comfortably beat Gatsby and tomorrow it will crush it.

This is genuinely funny. It made barely above $10m from Thursday day business. That's true floppage right there. 

It is embarrassing. Paramount screwed their biggest franchise.

I think it might be an age thing as well.  Hardly anyone in my circles(mostly people in their late 30s or early 40s) is talking about CF, but a lot of them are really excited about seeing Smaug on the big screen.

Yeah-the only ones I know that want to see it are people who read the books (like my sister who is 35).I hear tons of talk about these films right now: Fast 6, TH3, Lone Ranger, Monsters U, DM2, Wolvie 2, Thor 2 and MOS. Red 2 and 2 Guns are getting quite a bit of hype also from people I've talked to.

Paramount and Skydance Productions believe the sequel could hit $100 million in its four-day debut but box observers say that could be tough.

J.J. AbramsStar Trek Into Darkness opened to a softer-than-expected $13.5 million at the North American box office on Thursday, putting pressure on the sequel to quickly engage warp speed.

Paramount believes the 3D pic will hit $100 million through Sunday but, based on Thursday results, rival studios believe the sequel may play more in line with Abrams' 2009 reboot, which opened to $79.2 million.

Overseas, Into Darkness opened in seven markets last weekend. The 3D pic has grossed a stellar $37 million through Wednesday, 70 percent ahead of the 2009 film.

It is embarrassing. Paramount screwed their biggest franchise.

Were talking about the studio that was smart enough to put the film that killed Trek 5 days before LOTR.

• Like 1

I predict early reports will have ST in the lows 20s, and then, they drop down to 19m courtesy of Gitesh, whereby people start jumping off cliffs until the saviour returns, and pegs it at 25-26m. 

• Like 1

It is not like we are still in the 1990s or 2000s that most people have no idea when a movie is coming out. They should know it even when the date is bumped.

Yeah because everyone visits box office mojo and the release date change page.

• Like 2