31 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I felt from the trailers it was going to be bad. Hearing about the needless cruelty to animals though for laughs is just sick, SICK. 

May have to consider if I'll even watch this on DVD now. 

Versus cruelty to humans that appears in 90% of all PG-13/R summer films?

What about the innocent people who died in Pick a Movie?

I agree Baumer, probably the only funny part.  End this franchise now.

The one part I laughed at hysterically is when when Phil asks Stu if he got checked out (the reference to 2 when Stu got banged by the transvestite) and then at the end when Alan tells the gang he can't be in the wolfpack anymore.

that's it.

Good grief. Where to begin with The Hangover: Part III? It's not that the movie is bad. It's not that it's unfunny. It's not that it's unnecessary. Oh no. Hell no. This thing is on another level entirely. Remember how the chief complaint surrounding Part II was that it was practically a carbon copy of the first film, but significantly less effective with its humor? Part III takes the proceedings in a completely different direction, but it's a direction that is so unfunny and so nihilistic that it feels as if the film is very deliberately trolling the viewers who panned the first sequel for being too much like the original film. After one good laugh in the first five minutes (namely, the giraffe scene, which actually does a bang-up job of illustrating Alan's childishness and complete obliviousness to the trouble he causes), the film sputters and never recovers. But I never got the sense that anyone involved really wanted it to recover, as there's no momentum between jokes, none of the comedic energy that even Part II had in abundance, and none of the chemistry between the three leads that made the first film work as well as it did. While Zack Galifianakis at least appears to be trying to milk Alan's bizarre behavior for all it's worth, Bradley Cooper and Ed Helms seem entirely disinterested, as if they can't wait to cash their respective checks and move on with whatever better projects await them. The film also tries to integrate elements of capers and thrillers, but they fall flat because they don't feel at all organic to the universe the filmmakers have created; and if it's trying to act as a satire of those genres, it doesn't work because the approach is neither clever nor insightful. (That said, there are two sequences that are stylish enough that I'd like to see Todd Phillips have a bigger, more sincere go at an action-comedy; those sequences are the prison escape prologue and the strobe light scene.) By the end of the whole joyless affair, there's so little humor, so many attempts to make the film dark that misfire, and such a strong sense of angry cynicism the film seems to have about its very existence that I couldn't decide whether to outright loathe it, or have some slight appreciation for the fact that I couldn't help but shake the feeling that it felt like the filmmakers were spending 100 minutes giving their audience a big, fat, dirty middle finger. It's rare to see a movie that seems to hate itself and its audience, but The Hangover: Part III makes that dubious achievement.

D

• Like 2

In regards to the discussion about animal cruelty: the big problem in the movie isn't the fact that it's there, it's the fact that it doesn't work on a comedic level. We don't need to see the giraffe's head to get the picture as to what happened in Alan's first scene (though, other than that gripe, I thought that scene was by far the best, funniest, and most astute one the movie had to offer - not that it had a whole lot of competition in any of those departments). It's not funny watching the chickens get shot because there's no effort to set a joke up around it; it's not until after they're all dead that Chow makes the "cocaine... and chicken" remark (which, although not funny, is at least an honest-to-blog attempt at humor). The line about what Chow did to the guard dogs wasn't supposed to be funny (and succeeded in that aim), but felt unnecessary because we don't need it to establish the fact that the audience should not root for him.

I can laugh at something like the cat scene in Drag Me to Hell because it's done in a clever manner. Ditto for something as otherwise horrific as what the characters do with some hands in Pain & Gain. But it just doesn't click here.

• Like 3

I saw about half of this today because I needed to do something before This is the End started and Furious Six (which I haven't yet seen) deserves all of my time. I was stunned at how disinterested the film seemed in itself. So tame, boring, and unfunny. I won't watch the rest until it's on HBO probably. 

Versus cruelty to humans that appears in 90% of all PG-13/R summer films?

What about the innocent people who died in Pick a Movie?

Fail.

I'm not talking about people, talking about animals.

Stay on the topic I addressed if you're going to quote my post.  

This was total crap.

Bradley had nothing else to do but to say  holy shit and holy fuck every 10 minutes.

The chinese guy is insufferable and Galafiakanis schtick is already old.

I smiled twice, the I beliebe I can fly bit and I don't remember...

Hope it misses 100m dom.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1

I finally saw the credits scene.  I was rolling with laughter.  Why they couldn't make the film like that is a real mystery.  That adds another full mark to the movie.  Only bumps it up to a 4 out of 10, but still a very very funny sequence.

• Like 1

As a comedy movie, it's has some mildly amusing moments. As a heist film, it might have been passable. Given my weird connection to the series, I had an alright time with the film, but certainly not as enjoyable as the first or second. I'm the guy who finds the whole Phil/Alan connection subplot to be really funny for some reason. Alan is obsessed with Phil in the first film, which continues in the 2nd and is full blown apparent in the 3rd. I didn't like the focus on Chow, but I found Alan to be more likable than he was in the 2nd film. Ed Helms and to a lesser extent Bradley Cooper are clearly slumming it, but are likable enough. It is indeed interesting how little interest there seems to be from Todd Phillips in actually creating a comedy.

The credits stinger was pretty damn funny, the biggest laugh of the movie, which is kind of embarrassing. The audience though was laughing a decent bit throughout though.

Edited by MrPink Unchained

I went with very low expectations and I am glad I did. I enjoyed more than the 2nd. Everyone laughed a lot. A good end to a good trilogy with a fantastic first movie.

• Like 1

Grade:F saw this last week review: as much as I enjoyed the first two, this one was just unfunny,predictable,and unoriginal all of the humor just felt like recycled humor like a dirty joke your friend tells you like the first time it was funny the second time it was just as funny but then the third time was just like this shit ain't funny anymore,and this movie I know they tried but it really failed as a movie if I had to choose this if I was a Hollywood executive for Warner Bros. I would rather have them make a movie all about Mr.Chow

• Like 1

You know what, it's strangely fascinating in stretches but it's the kind of film that feels like a dream an hour after watching it.Everything and everyone involved just feels so lifeless and vacant. Looking back on it now the story is a complete joke and it's the kind of film you would feel pissed about spending money to see at the theater.Let's be real here: Todd Phillips is a hack, plain and simple.D+

I was expecting a total crap, but I kinda liked. It was very nice to look at and well shot, the plot was decent enough to keep me interested, it had a few strong chuckles and some lol moments.  

It wasn't a good comedy (I'm not a fan of the genre anyway), but it was a very enjoyably experience all things considered, I was never bored. Definitely better than the POS known as The Hangover Part II.

Part 1 80/100
Part 3 55/100
Part 2 25/100
Edited by Goffe R Swanson