The Purge (2013)  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I'm not sure the decisions were dumb.  They were thrown into a very volatile situation and it was established at the beginning that the son was very much against The Purge.  So his decision made sense.  The security system was horrible, I agree.  The neighbours wanting to kill them was easily seen.  They were all jealous and I knew once the cookies were given that they were coming after them.  I didn't think that was dumb at all.

I'm shocked that so many of you hated it.  I liked it and right up until the end, it would have gotten close to an A, but the end just leaves you with nothing.  But it was tense and very well directed in many scenes, especially effective was the scene right before the stabbing.  That whole scene was top notch. 

More later, but for now 7/10

Ew.

I'm not sure the decisions were dumb.  They were thrown into a very volatile situation and it was established at the beginning that the son was very much against The Purge.  So his decision made sense.  The security system was horrible, I agree.  The neighbours wanting to kill them was easily seen.  They were all jealous and I knew once the cookies were given that they were coming after them.  I didn't think that was dumb at all.

If I was Ethan's character, I would have killed my son for being such a dumb fuck. 

Seriously.

• Like 3

Yeah, I liked the movie too. The son pissed me off though with some of the decisions he made.

Yeah, I liked the movie too. The son pissed me off though with some of the decisions he made.

And that's fine, but his decisions were justified based on how he felt about the Purge.

And that's fine, but his decisions were justified based on how he felt about the Purge.

I haven't seen it and won't till DVD.

Still though, if you are against the idea of the Purge would you not be against the idea of putting your family(even if you aren't the best of pals) in danger by letting a target of the Purge inside the home?

Based on what I'm reading, seeing in trailers, is exactly what Mr.anti-Purge did. So instead of one person dying, the homeless man, now a few dozen died.

Sure, sounds like the right call Mr.anti-Purge teenage kid....and this is example #456 on why teenagers are never as smart as they think they are. 

Here's the thing about the Purge (not the movie, the actual law in the film).

The Purge is law.  It's not a choice.  You don't have to participate in the actual purge, but you are also not permitted to interfere with it.  In the film, the houses that support the Purge place a blue bouquet of roses or some kind of blue flower in their window or on their porch or whatever.  So this tells the people that they support the Purge.  In this dystopian future, the Purge is not looked upon as being Orwellian or dystopian, it is supported and loved by the masses.  So in essence what the kid did by letting in the homeless man is he broke the law.  He interfered with society's right to cleanse their souls.  Their right, by law, is to kill, rape, maim, beat up, torture and do whatever they want.  This one night it is their right.  There are not only laws to support this, but the people and the law view this as necessary to keep the rest of the year violence free.  This is why no one just goes to Canada for the day.  By leaving, they are not supporting the law and with that there would probably be consequences.

Once you get past the stupid premise, and boy is it stupid, it's actually quite a bit of fun. I especially loved how they almost seemed to be setting up some sort of 'communities unite' message only to completely shit on it a minute later.

Lena Headey can shine in anything, what a talent. B-

This 

+10000000000000000000000000. 

As a movie in its own right, The Purge is so, so bad, and it's mostly to do with what should have been the film's biggest strength: its setup. On paper, the premise - what if all crime was legal for a 12-hour window - is ripe for some intriguing food for thought. Would it turn otherwise kind, caring people into monsters, and what repercussions would come from it? Sadly, the film seems disinterested in answering such questions at any kind of respectable depth, and its attempts to get the audience to suspend disbelief are botched so badly that the film becomes riddled with holes in the logic and plot, the two biggest ones being: why is it that so few people seem to be outraged by the fact that murder is perfectly legal once a year (even if it supposedly cleans up other crime, although the movie never bothers to touch on how one night of violence results in dramatically lower crime rates for the remaining 364.5 days), and why does the protagonist - whose main motivation in the film is to protect his family at all costs - suddenly have a change of heart and decide to fight the villains rather than just give them what they want? It's not admirable; it's just idiotic. However, thankfully, the film works on a bizarre, ironic level in that it's so blithely stupid that it lends itself to mocking Mystery Science Theatre 3000-style with ease. I got much more out of mocking the film as it went along than I did from actually paying attention to the characters or trying (and failing) to get invested in their predicament. I guess it scores a few points for that, but there's really not much else of value to be found here.

C-

And with that, I give you The Official, Webslinger-Approved Purge Drinking Game. If you're in a social atmosphere, the following rules apply (and are really fun):

- Every time someone has to ask a question about how any conceivable detail in the Purge universe might work, everyone takes a drink. (e.g. Why would purging result in a drop to 1% unemployment?)

- Every time someone's question has a logical answer that is explicitly stated in the film, the person who asks the question must drink twice.

- The first time that anyone watching can name another character who any of the actors have played, everyone drinks. (We got three - Jesse from the "Before" trilogy, Cersei Lannister, and the kid from the Parenthood show on NBC).

- Every time someone is killed onscreen, drink.

- For every jump scare with accompanying shrill music, drink.

Needless to say, I'll probably wait until the sequel is on TV to see it.  ;)

• Like 2

I really don't understand what was so bad about it. It was an average thriller with an interesting premise and two great actors. I don't get the hate. 

The Purge concept is more of a backdrop than a premise. The premise was merely a home invasion flick.

• Like 1