Jandrew

Sunday/Wknd #'s, MU 23-24/82, WWZ 17-18/66, MoS 11.7-12.3/41.2, TITE 13, NYSM 7.8 BOM, RTH

MAN OF STEEL: $41.22M Weekend (est) / $210.01M Domestic Total / 4,207 Locations / $9,797 Location Avg. #ManOfSteelIf you take Walmart numbers out of the equation, MOS is doing very similar numbers to TASM's second weekend, which makes me think that my $265m-$295m prediction is correct. Knowing it's pacing with $10m more than TASM and that will face a plethora of new blockbuster releases in the upcoming weeks, I'm streamlining my prediction to $270m-$285m DOM.

265 M, 270 M will never be correct. This will be at 240 M+ by next weekend. You think it will only earn 30 M after that?

• Like 1

64% drop for MOS. Hopefully next week is better. The Heat and WHD won't open ad big as MU and WWZ so  I can see a less than 50% drop. 

I'm thinking Man of Steel grosses just above/below $20M next weekend. White House Down will steal some of the action crowd and The Heat will steal most casual female moviegoers. So, while neither will open as big, they will further crowd the marketplace. Much of the demand for Supes is burned away... a 68% declne from the opening $128.7M OW proves as much. I really didn't expect Supes to have a drop nearly in line with that of a Potter or Twilight sequel.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

I'm thinking Man of Steel grosses just above/below $20M next weekend. White House Down will steal some of the action crowd and The Heat will steal most casual female moviegoers. So, while neither will open as big, they will further crowd the marketplace. Much of the demand for Supes is burned away... a 68% declne for the opening $128.7M OW proves that. I really didn't expect Supes to have a drop nearly in line with that of Potter or Twilight sequel.

116 million. the Walmart tickets were bought 2 months before release by Walmart

The problem that MOS will have to face versus The Hobbit is that it had a double threat every weekend for 4,5 consecutive weeks.WWZ and MU now, The Heat and White House Down next week, then DM2 and Lone Rangers, then Pacific Rim and Grown Ups2, ect... It will have to face 2 newcomers and 2 freshly released potential blockbusters at the same time, each weekend with sequels thrown in the mix which by essence are frontloaded and take a bigger share of the weekend grosses. That's when wom and GA reception play a large role.  That's why movies like STID were able to resist more when facing big competition such as, Gatsby FF6, EPIC and Hangovers 3 whereas a movie like Hangover 3 plumetted quickly. And in that higly competitive environment, if you are not competitively strong enough, if people just jump to the new movie as soon as it is released instead of rewatching yours, it's because wom is average at best.  You only rewatch a movie facing competition if you have the feeling that this movie is better than what the competition propose as another option... The worst case secnarios MOS and all the new releases will have to face is that highly competitive test.  The most volatile movie, the least competitive one will lose quicker its theater counts to make room for the weekly double threat and lose opportunities to generate more bucks.   I beleive overall legs will be cut short for many movies in the next two weeks.

That's exactly what I'm thinking as well. I feel like this happening is a good thing to the DC Movieverse in the long run. Warner shouldn't be afraid of building their DC Movieverse, they should realize that there's something off when the biggest complain their blockbuster gets is the screenplay. David Goyer gotta go in order to the DC Movieverse truly flourish.
  • Like 1

It'll hit WWZ more because it is also a disaster film.

I will be very curious to see how WWZ holds up. At least with my friends it's been a mixed bag, some loved if, and others found it boring and unsatisfying, so I will be curious to see what WOM is like with WWZ.

Pacific Rim won't be the biggest movie of 2013 and it doesn't even have a chance. 150M is the max. The trailer has gotten so so attention from people outside these box office forums. When I saw the trailer in front of Man of Steel and World War Z the audiences was either silent or giggled a bit at the stupid rally speech.

$150m is definitely possible, but no way it's the max. Max and min and floor and lock still get incorrectly thrown around here way too much.

That's exactly what I'm thinking as well. I feel like this happening is a good thing to the DC Movieverse in the long run. Warner shouldn't be afraid of building their DC Movieverse, they should realize that there's something off when the biggest complain their blockbuster gets is the screenplay. David Goyer gotta go in order to the DC Movieverse truly flourish.

I think Goyer should do the story but get someone else to write the screenplay.

What an amazing weekend for openers, but more especially WWZ. Did not see that coming at all. Nearly 70m, after Superman just opened to over 125m, and MU just opened over 80m. Crazy. The market is as saturated as it can be at the moment.

• Like 1