Jandrew

Sunday/Wknd #'s, MU 23-24/82, WWZ 17-18/66, MoS 11.7-12.3/41.2, TITE 13, NYSM 7.8 BOM, RTH

Not panic. More like shock. Though I shouldn't be surprised since I've said for a while that MOS's legs would be affected severely by MU & WWZ.

if there's a shock, it shouldn't be of MoS drop, but of WWZ breaking out. as WWZ broke out, MoS drop became reasonable. I don't know how MU cuts into MoS demo, but I can see it's basically the same bunch of people WWZ and MoS target at (except for supes and comic fans of course).

The Amazing Spider-Man has a 80% Top Critics / 73% All Critics at Rotten Tomatoes, with $262m DOM and $750m WW. It still is the most successful reboot ever and it seems to me that a hell of lot of people care about the sequel. I haven't seen MoS yet, but I feel like the WOM for MoS outside the usual DC/Warner loonies isn't better than TASM, not even with the brilliant and probably expensive marketing campaign. I just hope that the sequel of MoS look as good as what they are doing with TASM2 now. ;)I think I'll be able to catch a pre-screening next weekend, but if I don't, only in July, 12th.

I just saw MoS again today. I think it is a very well done superhero movie. I was the only complaining that SR

has too much romance and not enough action but here, while you do appreciate the action, there is almost

too much of it. And the amount of concrete structures being decimated seem a bit disturbing to some

audience who is expecting Supe to do more saving than destroying....This could be the reason for the

drop.

Some cuts are jarring, especially 

from Baby Supe crash landing to the oil rig incident.

And some moustache-twirling lines are generic especially spoken by the villains who sound like they are re-building the Nazi army. But overall, outside

BB/TDK/R/IM1 movies, this is a very well toned production, audience seems touched by the dramatic strain

in the movie especially those scenes involving Clark's parents. 

I wish the rivalry between Kal & Zod is built earlier, with more scenes in reference to the fact that Zod &

his armies may be villains but they are also the Last of the Kryptonites, Clark's own ethnic group. I don't

know if the audience understands this, but at the end of the movie,

Clark is truly alone. 

Edited by zackzack
  • Like 2

if there's a shock, it shouldn't be of MoS drop, but of WWZ breaking out. as WWZ broke out, MoS drop became reasonable. I don't know how MU cuts into MoS demo, but I can see it's basically the same bunch of people WWZ and MoS target at (except for supes and comic fans of course).

yeah i wonder what the situation might have been if WWZ was a flop many predicted

again happy its not

Congrats Mr.Forster :wub:

it could be great if WWZ can gross around the QoS numbers!

Posted Image

Edited by Leyla

MU ensured that MoS wouldn't even work like a family movie similar to IM3! :D Also, script made sure there is zero rewatchability value except for a few diehards.

• Like 1

I always knew that WWZ would open big. Those trailers are just insane! But

alas, they show all the best scenes in the trailer. No doubt these are very intense, bad-ass, armchair-gripping fun to watch scenes but WWZ has very little else to offer. Expect massive drop all around the world next weekend.

They should have stuck to R and people would still come. The Jerusalem scene is an impressive spectacle.

And the cure, I don't know, folks,

it is an idea that Bilbo Baggins would think up

;)  :P

Edited by zackzack

I'm multitasking tonight. Following this weekends numbers plus watching 3 footy games across 3 codes. Rugby League-Wests Tigers 4:6 Canberra RaidersAussie Rules-Western Bulldogs 28:58 Richmond TigersRugby Union-Australia 7:0 British and Irish Lions

That MoS number isn't good. I don't see anyway it hits 50m this weekend.

Still, I am happy with the MU number. I would love it to hit the high end.

I'm stunned at MOS. Unless it jumps massively today, 50 mill is gone and it will have a 60% drop.  That sucks no matter how you look at it. 

I owe tele and filmnerdjamie an apology.  I was so sure it would hit 50.  I was wrong and they were right.

• Like 2

Just got to Frankfurt international for a connecting flight to Athens. Ill admit that is a pretty big drop for Man of Steel. Hope its Sunday hold is good to compensate. Nikki had me over the moon with her projections

• Like 1

Oh Noo.. Dont be surprised if his numbers are off. In NY and Cali a whole mess of folks are going to see MOS again..And  I think it will be that way with alot of moviegoers. Its one of the cool choices if your not feeling MU and dont want your kids to see a horror flick. 50+M is happening.... Damn thee!!! :D

His numbers are never off.

• Like 2

For those just getting up like me:

Rth, on 22 Jun 2013 - 04:10 AM, said:Posted Image

Just going to leave MU/WWZ where I had them but MOS comes down

MU 29.8-32,WWZ 25-27, MOS 12.5, TITE 4.2, NYSM 2.4, FF6 1.5, Purge 1.1, Intern 1.1, STID 900k, BR 700k

I'm stunned at MOS. Unless it jumps massively today, 50 mill is gone and it will have a 60% drop.  That sucks no matter how you look at it. 

I owe tele and filmnerdjamie an apology.  I was so sure it would hit 50.  I was wrong and they were right.

Green Lantern had a 66% drop in its second weekend, off terrible WOM. MOS can't do that badly (can it?) but I think WOM and lack of re-watchability is definitely hurting it. 

• Like 3

Not panic. More like shock. Though I shouldn't be surprised since I've said for a while that MOS's legs would be affected severely by MU & WWZ.

It's nice to see WWZ doing so well after all the bad PR and supposed turmoil. I don't plan on seeing it myself (I hate zombies!) but I'm happy for Pitt that it didn't tank the way so many predicted. MU I knew would be a monster, who didn't? It's Pixar, duh! Those films aren't my cup of tea necessarily, but the kids are out of school and parents need something innocuous to feed their little minds. 

I definitely like a lot of Pitt's choice in movies... Interview with the Vampire, Se7en, 12 Monkeys, Meet Joe Black, Fight Club, Snatch, Spy Game, Troy, O11, Mr & Mrs Smith, Burn After Reading, Benjamin Button, Basterds, Moneyball.

A lot of stuff of his I haven't seen but have heard good things about (like Legends of the Fall,etc) that i will want to watch at some point. If i watch WWZ though, I might watch it on a tuesday instead.

• Like 1

It was always logical MOS would take a big hit from these two movies.As I've said this week, its two major demographs have Monsters University and World War Z vying for their attention.If it were, say, Epic and White House Down it were up against then it would have held better. Pixar and an effects laden apocalypse tale is a whole different ball game of appeal though.

No it wasn't logical that MOS would get hit.  People, MANY people said MOS would cripple WWZ, not the other way around.  Maybe to you it was logical, but then again it's easy to say that AFTER it has happened.  I don't recall any of your clairvoyance in the last month or so.  Strange.

For the second weekend, I'm thinking $12.5m Fri, $14.5m Sat and $11.9m Sun, with a 38,9m second weekend. 

If it increases 15% on Saturday, then I know nothing about box office and I'll leave for good.  There's no way it has that small of an increase.

I had MOS friday at 12.8M, but Baumer said that was too low :P

My logic made sense as to why it would jump more than 100% on Friday.

Logic doesn't apply to MOS I guess.  :)