Olive

Monday #'s:MU 11.02,WWZ 7.67,MOS 4.54,TITE 1.9, NYSM 1.1

Mos opened huge and for it not 300 is a dissapointment but overall a huge hit.Interesting that now Asm was seen as a failure and now as a big hit...The revisionism on this forum is epic.

Mos opened huge and for it not 300 is a dissapointment but overall a huge hit.Interesting that now Asm was seen as a failure and now as a big hit...The revisionism on this forum is epic.

In comparison to what raimi spidey did, tasm was aFailure. Box office wise Edited by Hasan Ahmad

Dude, now you are trolling. Mr and Mrs. Smith was gigantic.  And BB's could have died if it wasn't any good.  WOM carried that film, competition or not.

50 million opening is not gigantic, gigantic is 100 million+ openings

I've always said I dont understand why TASM is picked on.

TDKR destroyed TASM. Its legs went to shit after TDKR weekend.

Edited by #ED
  • Like 2

50 million opening is not gigantic, gigantic is 100 million+ openings

It's gigantic.

It's not a sequel

It's not from a best seller

It's just two big stars, two very sexy stars, shooting at each other.

That's huge.

• Like 6

I don't have time to do it now, but it would be interesting to take films that had a trilogy (or more...4-5-6 films) that came out before Avatar (3D boom) and look at how many times the final film increased in NA, from the first film.  My guess is not many.  I know 3D has skewed the international grosses but take out 3D and not many films (with the exception of ROTK) really made more than the first one in a series.

I think The Return of the King is the only answer to this question.

• Like 1

Amazing Spider-Man was only seen as a disappointment when compared to its expectations (Many professional box-office analysts projected $300M) and against the previous Spider-Man installments even with the 3D/IMAX bumps. 

As a reboot/franchise (re)starter and as a movie as a whole, it did great and did better than many of us thought. At least that's what I said at the time. Can't speak for others.

Really? 

Thanks, that proves the point then.  :)

Crap, after that drop i have to readjust my dom . Between 275-290 . Not reaching 300 now but will surpass TASM for the biggest reboot of all time

That's what I've been saying: $275m-$285m tops, and that's an optimistic prediction. It will indeed surpass TASM for the biggest reboot, but I'm not sure it'll be capable of doing the same OS. Regardless if TASM keeps the crown or MoS takes it, these are SPECTACULAR numbers for a reboot. 

2nd Monday:

TASM 4.3m

MOS 4.5m

It's virtually mimicking TASM run domestically, which is great for a reboot. If there was a lesson learned from TASM when it comes to box office, it's that reboots won't set the box office on fire, they exist to restabilish the franchises to the public. And that both TASM and MOS delivered in spades. 

Don't all reboots have less attendance than previous films? I'm confused here.  :blink:

But SR itself was a "soft" reboot (it ignored Superman 3 and 4). MOS is behaving more like a sequel than a reboot. Really, the only impressive thing about it is the opening weekend and the OS gross (and even that is nothing special considering epic action + 3D is a guaranteed draw with OS audiences). It's going to have the worst reviews and legs of any reboot, so clearly WB focused on getting that big opening to the detriment of everything else. Yes, it's a huge financial success still, but the sequel will suffer because of that short-sightedness.

One caveat to the point though is that it has to be a series of films where the first already did well.  There are dozens of films where the first was a minor hit and then blew up for the sequel.  Films like First Blood, Austin Powers and so on.  They were decent sized hits but then exploded afterwards.

But take films that really did well originally and try to find the third film be the highest grossing, not many at all.  Rocky and Rocky IV would be another example, but that is eons ago.

Yea, that's impossible.  That means it has a 20 mill weekend, no way it drops 60% every week after.

Except that's exactly what happened with TASM last year. I'm aware that MOS will have July, 4th and some summer time to get better numbers, but I feel like competition will just keep coming, to the point where after this weekend, it'll make more $30m+$40m tops, stopping between $275m-$285m. 

Except that's exactly what happened with TASM last year. I'm aware that MOS will have July, 4th and some summer time to get better numbers, but I feel like competition will just keep coming, to the point where after this weekend, it'll make more $30m+$40m tops, stopping between $275m-$285m. 

Yes, I think 280-290 is where it will land too.

• Like 1