baumer

The Heat (2013)

36 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

It's a fairly generic and unsurprising buddy cop film, but IMO it's more than funny enough to cover up for that. There's some great setpieces Feig develops here, the most memorable one being the introduction of McCarthy's character. It's not quite This Is the End, but it's a very solid summer comedy.

• Like 3

I agree with Gopher to a degree.  I found a lot of it to be unfunny and vulgar for the sake of being vulgar.  Part of the problem is that McCarthy's character would never be allowed to be the way she is.  She just wouldn't.  Telling everyone that she can't find her captain's balls would have gotten her suspended.  Feig said that he wanted to base this after films like Beverly Hills Cop and 48 HRS.  In those films, especially BHC, Inspector Todd was all over Foley.  Foley was funny, but he never disrespected his captain.  This stuff just left me looking at the screen with a stupefied look on my face.  I really didn't enjoy McCarthy most of the time.  She's just too crazy and rough.  

But there were some good laughs and for that I have to give it marks.  Better than IT, which isn't saying much, but not really all that good.

6.5/10

Grade: C-

Just a step above being a waste of time. Barely funny.

It's trying hard to be in the vein of a 48hrs or even Lethal Weapon maybe where you have one "by the book cop" and one "crazy, unpredictable cop" but what happens is McCarthy's character(don't even recall the name that's how forgettable this is) is playing a role that seems written for a man. The humor in her being a woman in male cliches doesn't work 95% of the time I felt. 

Wait for DVD folks. With a $1 Redbox rental you'll at least feel like you got your money's worth. 

• Like 1

To me the biggest surprise in The Heat is that its actually funny. Even though Sandra Bullock has her moments, its very clear from the get go that this is McCarthy's film. The film's supporting cast which includes Marlon Waynes, Jane Curtain (Mary from 3rd Rock From The Sun), Thomas Wilson (Gym coach in Freaks & Geeks), and Tony Hale all do a good job in their small roles, but I believe that Dan Bakkedhal (God that guy needs a new last name) steals every scene he is in. Each time he appears, he had me laughing. This movie may not be the best comedy of the summer but its still a pretty solid summer comedy that is worth your attention.

Grade: B+

It's clear that they wrote this with the jokes in mind and paid little attention to the actual plot, but that's fine, because most of the time, the jokes really work, and quite a few of them had me in stitches. Bullock and McCarthy have great chemistry, and the latter's family is absoltuely hilarious. Both this and This Is The End were equally hysterical, IMO, with the slight edue going to TITE. That still takes the crown for summer comedies so far because they actually had a strong and original story.

Still, it's a lot of fun and has a ton of great laughs. It's worth a watch.

B

• Like 1

I'm with Baumer and Gopher. I laughed but I had issues particularly with McCarthy and the vulgar for sake of being vulgar got old really fast some of the best lines didn't even involve any vulgarity. Chemistry was good between the leads and the plot is pretty much paint by number but its still worth a view.B

I agree with Gopher to a degree.  I found a lot of it to be unfunny and vulgar for the sake of being vulgar.  Part of the problem is that McCarthy's character would never be allowed to be the way she is.  She just wouldn't.  Telling everyone that she can't find her captain's balls would have gotten her suspended.  Feig said that he wanted to base this after films like Beverly Hills Cop and 48 HRS.  In those films, especially BHC, Inspector Todd was all over Foley.  Foley was funny, but he never disrespected his captain.  This stuff just left me looking at the screen with a stupefied look on my face.  I really didn't enjoy McCarthy most of the time.  She's just too crazy and rough.  

But there were some good laughs and for that I have to give it marks.  Better than IT, which isn't saying much, but not really all that good.

6.5/10

I completely agree. I did not buy McCarthy's schtick and she was not funny. I did like Bullock, but she seemed subdued may be due to McCarthy's outrageous role.

A :P

just b/c not every day u have women kicking mojor ass & funnily

Sandra was funier than Melissa def but  Identity Thief made me like her i TH more

bonus ponts for Sandra's cat :D

& woah Marlon Wayans  :wub: i never liked him even as a comedy actor

but here woahhhhh. he was actually hot! I was diasappointed they didnt shw any romance with Sandra's character. :(