#ED

Wknd Est: DM2 - 44.7M ; GU2 - 42.5M; PR - 38.3M; Heat - 14M; TLR - 11.1M; MU - 10.6M (PG 100)

We'll probably be able to compare PR's run to Super 8's run pretty easily now.

Anyway, fuck yeah DM2, show that hasbin Sandler how its done.

Yeah, I agree S8 is the comparison we all should be using now for it. Props to cmasterclay for bringing S8 up a few weeks back as a good comparison for PR.

DM2 gonna have to drop about 18% on Sunday to hit 45M. I don't think it can drop that softly. What's the typical Sun drop for an animated movie around this time of the year?

firedeep trying to spin things positive. the numbers will come out tomorrow. im all for realism and Pacific rim is a flop. The idiotic marketing is at fault. if we don't accept its failure they cannot improve.

You know what I hate? This. Idiotic marketing...I loved the marketing, it gets me hyped even after seeing the movie and having issues with it...but man it's cool.But you're right, it didn't energize the GA the way it needed to. Probably needed some shitty pop rock. I'd be terrible at marketing. Good marketing seems to not be about selling a movie for what it is (and I think this marketing campaign sold this movie exactly for what it is)...but...something else.
  • Like 2

Spin it all you want. it is a box office bomb in the US. no 2 ways about it.

Wrong. This opening is right in line with other recent original sci-fi films like Super 8 and District 9. If it has similar legs it will easily top $100 million.

You know what I hate? This. Idiotic marketing...I loved the marketing, it gets me hyped even after seeing the movie and having issues with it...but man it's cool.But you're right, it didn't energize the GA the way it needed to. Probably needed some shitty pop rock. I'd be terrible at marketing. Good marketing seems to not be about selling a movie for what it is (and I think this marketing campaign sold this movie exactly for what it is)...but...something else.

Well, I've been loathe to jump on the "terrible marketing" bandwagon, but in retrospect (and after seeing the movie) I do think they should've started running the "human element" trailers and spots sooner than they did. It's not like those didn't have plenty of action either.

• Like 2

Does it really matter? Sunday isn't a weekday.

Basketball hurt all the movies that specific Sunday. Usually Sunday drops are anywhere between 20-30%. With a strong IMAX share I'm expecting a low 20s drop for PR and a 37.6m weekend.