baumer

R.I.P.D. (2013)

30 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

The film had actors they could have promoted.  Bacon is well known and has been for years.  He should have been part of the marketing.

• Like 1

• Community Manager

I haven't seen the movie but:

The plot is that there is a department of dead cops who keep the EARTH safe from bad guys.  These bad guys are called...wait for it....DEADOS, pronounced just like Cheerios.  These deados are people that were on their way to be judged after they died and they escaped.  This department has been around at least for 100 years as Bridges' character was killed at the turn of the century.  My first question is if these guys are on their way to be judged and this RIPD department is run and authorized by God, why not just strike these fuckers down with a lightning bolt or something?  Why the need for a bunch of dead cops to run around and police that dead that got away in the first place?  Also, there are phones in the police department in RIPD.  Again, this is a divine place.  Why the fuck do they need phones for communication?  Should't they past hard lines and wires to communicate while they are in the after life?  Whoever wrote this didn't think a few things through properly.  Having phones in the afterlife is like using a typewriter in 2013.  No one uses them because they aren't needed.

This is your interpretation of the afterlife. The movie is allowed to have a different one without being punished for it, in my opinion.

Then you have the running gag of Bridges looking like a hot blond.  Of course EVERY SINGLE guy in the film tries to hit on the hot blond. It's like in the entire city of Boston, there is one hot blond.  The city of Boston must be about the size of some village in Alabama or something because they all look at her like they have never seen a woman before.  It's pretty embarrassing.

This on the other hand is unforgivable on the movie's part. We might not be California but we have plenty of hot blondes, of both genders, thank you very much.

• Like 1

I haven't seen the movie but:

This is your interpretation of the afterlife. The movie is allowed to have a different one without being punished for it, in my opinion.

This on the other hand is unforgivable on the movie's part. We might not be California but we have plenty of hot blondes, of both genders, thank you very much.

And they can have their opinion of what the afterlife is like, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. :)

The film had actors they could have promoted.  Bacon is well known and has been for years.  He should have been part of the marketing.

Bacon was on Conan sometime last week for R.I.P.D and that was the first time I knew he was in it. I agree Bacon makes everything better and they should have used him in the promotion.

@LexG_III

There's this part in RIPD where MLP tells them they're in trouble and Bridges does 45 seconds of the weirdest acting in recent history

7/20/13 11:57 PM

This and Baumer's review make me anticipate this mess like crazy. Can't wait for September 5 :lol:

Grade: C

The movie is exactly what it's marketed to be which is why my grade is C, not lower. Even for the satirical riff that the film is spoofing a cross of MIB and Ghostbusters it's pretty mediocre for what it's trying to be. 

I actually think Mary Louise Parkers character Proctor is better than her RED2 character. 

I grew tired of Bridge's Roy quickly. I had suspected I might like him but his schtick grew boring and did nothing to infuse fun into the rest of the film. 

I've only read 2 comics of RIPD, found them in fifty cent bins and from that limited exposure found it's mostly a straight forward adaptation with just a few liberties. 

Still, it's at best a $1 Redbox rental after a few cold ones are already in you. 

Besides The Heat (which I already saw and it was hilarious) and The Butler (which I will see on Monday if everything goes according to the plan), there was another movie opening this weekend here.

It was the one and only RIPD, released exclusively in 2D. And I saw it today. And good God it was amazing. Glorious just like I expected. Jeff Bridges performance was bizarre and ridiculous. I am almost throw up at the indian food scene. Ryan Reynolds was just lost the whole time. I feel that he just wanted to stop and say 'FUCK THIS SHIT'. Kevin Bacon was just enjoying the stupidity happening around him. The movie probably got cutted 20 or 30 minutes. Half of Boston is destroyed and in the next day everything is just fine. The world was invaded by deados but in the next day is like if nothing happened. A true trainwreck. After Earth is just bad and boring. This is a glorious trainwreck of epic propotions that makes no sense.

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 2

Besides The Heat (which I already saw and it was hilarious) and The Butler (which I will see on Monday if everything goes according to the plan), there was another movie opening this weekend here.

It was the one and only RIPD, released exclusively in 2D. And I saw it today. And good God it was amazing. Glorious just like I expected. Jeff Bridges performance was bizarre and ridiculous. I am almost throw up and the indian food scene. Ryan Reynolds was just lost the whole time. I feel that he just wanted to stop and say 'FUCK THIS SHIT'. Kevin Bacon was just enjoying the stupidity happening around him. The movie probably got cutted 20 or 30 minutes. Half of Boston is destroyed and in the next day everything is just fine. The world was invaded by deados but in the next day is like if nothing happened. A true trainwreck. After Earth is just bad and boring. This is a glorious trainwreck of epic propotions that makes no sense.

:rofl:  :rofl:

ok i tried but i've found some syfy movies more interesting than this even with their convoluted plots

30 mn in and i've decided i can't very well waste the next hour watching this , its such a blatant bad ripoff of men in black making it look like an oscar caliber movie 

still i'll watch it in pieces , over the weekend , leaving at kevin bacon visited RR wife at house to find buried gold

will edit eventually ....

based on first 40 mn this is a D type of film , which is just sad because i'm pretty generous with my grades