filmnerdjamie

Monday Numbers (07/15)

at this rate PR will lose all its IMAX screens and give it back to Man of Steel

Except it's making less than a million bucks a day now

In some places  yes Imax & MOS not sure whats happening yet with Dom

MOs coming off Imax was a huge blow, Imax screens had lowest drop in general and were taking bulk of BO, for example Lincoln square taking MOS of imax screen entirely saw it plumit the next week.

In AUS, the two traditional Imax theatres are sharing MOS/PR , Sydney as doing 2 sessions of each and similar coming week, Melbourne was still giving MOS 1-2 a day. The digital Imax cinemas that took MOS off last week , at Least two of them this coming week are putting MOS back on at least 1 session a day.

In the UK, last week the London BFI Imax took MOS off it was the #1 location taking 4.5 times for the week the #2 location (Cume to date is over 30% higher than 2nd highest in cume) and it also had the smallest drop for the week of any theatre (in weeks 2 & 3 it dropped no more than 20% in each). PR opening weekend was lower than what MOS took in its 3rd, However at the moment MOS isn't scheduled to return to London BFI.

Way back with Superman Returns Imax was the big money earning, there was an example in one city in NA  that didn't get Imax version till about week6 of season, in week 6 it took more 2 times the BO of all the other theatres in the city combined for the week and it ran a further 14 weeks after

Edited by Rth
  • Like 2

Tom Cruise would've been perfecf. I could have definently seen him turning this into a blockbuster!

Pacific Rim made slightly more than what Oblivion made on it’s opening weekend.

Don’t think the film would have still been a hit.

Edited by Boxofficefanatic
  • Like 1

In some places  yes Imax & MOS not sure whats happening yet with Dom

MOs coming off Imax was a huge blow, Imax screens had lowest drop in general and were taking bulk of BO, for example Lincoln square taking MOS of imax screen entirely saw it plumit the next week.

In AUS, the two traditional Imax theatres are sharing MOS/PR , Sydney as doing 2 sessions of each and similar coming week, Melbourne was still giving MOS 1-2 a day. The digital Imax cinemas that took MOS off last week , at Least two of them this coming week are putting MOS back on at least 1 session a day.

In the UK, last week the London BFI Imax took MOS off it was the #1 location taking 4.5 times for the week the #2 location (Cume to date is over 30% higher than 2nd highest in cume) and it also had the smallest drop for the week of any theatre (in weeks 2 & 3 it dropped no more than 20% in each). PR opening weekend was lower than what MOS took in its 3rd, However at the moment MOS isn't scheduled to return to London BFI.

Way back with Superman Returns Imax was the big money earning, there was an example in one city in NA  that didn't get Imax version till about week6 of season, in week 6 it took more 2 times the BO of all the other theatres in the city combined for the week and it ran a further 14 weeks after

I figured this. IMAX was the heart of the MoS gross. It wasn't reaching 300M without it.

Go figure, WB's Pacific Rim killed it.

Pacific Rim made slightly more than what Oblivion made on it’s opening weekend. Don’t think the film would have still been a hit.

Tom Cruise with Robots and Monsters? Audiences would have ate that sh!t up. Oblivion had a very confusing plot and trailer. That managed a good OW and it would have crossed 100M DOM if it wasn't for IM3.

I figured this. IMAX was the heart of the MoS gross. It wasn't reaching 300M without it.

Go figure, WB's Pacific Rim killed it.

If Pacific Rim does another week of this weak business, I think they will hand those screens back to Man of Steel.

IMAX either gets MOS to $300M or PR to $100M. Which would they rather have?

Tom Cruise with Robots and Monsters? Audiences would have ate that sh!t up. Oblivion had a very confusing plot and trailer. That managed a good OW and it would have crossed 100M DOM if it wasn't for IM3.

Tom Cruise hasn’t been a major box office draw for years now.

Simply putting him in a film with robots and aliens isn’t going to get people to see it.

Edited by Boxofficefanatic

Tom Cruise hasn’t been a major box office draw for years now.

Simply putting him in a film with robots and aliens isn’t going to get people to see it.

Oblivion starring Charlie Hunnam would have been lucky to make half of what it did with Cruise.

A heavily-marketed Cruise action flick with giant robots and monsters would have brought in at least another $50M. Possibly more.

Oblivion starring Charlie Hunnam would have been lucky to make half of what it did with Cruise.

A heavily-marketed Cruise action flick with giant robots and monsters would have brought in at least another $50M. Possibly more.

Nope. Aside from the Mission Impossible movies Tom Cruise hasn’t had a movie that opened to more than 37 million since War of the Worlds.

Pacific Rim would still need to be properly marketed.

If Pacific Rim does another week of this weak business, I think they will hand those screens back to Man of Steel.

IMAX either gets MOS to $300M or PR to $100M. Which would they rather have?

I think they'd rather have whatever gives them the biggest cut from the theaters. I assume that's PR at this point, but who knows?

I think they'd rather have whatever gives them the biggest cut from the theaters. I assume that's PR at this point, but who knows?

That's the thing. It is another month till Elysium takes over. But they have to do something. Pacific Rim isn't cutting the mustard and Man of Steel is moving to its second-run theater phase. What do they do?

That's the thing. It is another month till Elysium takes over. But they have to do something. Pacific Rim isn't cutting the mustard and Man of Steel is moving to its second-run theater phase. What do they do?

How do we know it "isn't cutting the mustard", especially compared to MOS? I have no idea what sort of deal the studios have with IMAX, but I assume it's along similar lines as other theaters, where they get a greater percentage upfront. Why wouldn't they want a larger slice of a larger pie?

It's not like MOS was setting the IMAX world on fire at this point of its release -- I'm assuming WB is taking the Apple route and saying, "If anyone's going to be taking money from MOS's IMAX theaters, we'd rather it be one of our new releases".

MOS and PR should have switched release dates

I don’t think it would have made a difference. Warner Brothers would have still have given MOS the better end of the deal because they actually get a big profit from it, unlike Pacific Rim.

What PR needed was a big star. Not having one hindered it from the beginning

I've been saying that since seeing it. Hugh Jackman and Liam Hemsworth should've been the Aussies, and Channing Tatum should've been the lead.