filmnerdjamie

Monday Numbers (07/15)

That's a bad number for PR. Will definitely drop over 50% this weekend with that Monday, short of huge Fri/Sat jumps.

While I do see around 50% drop I'm not sure how you can definitely say any of that not knowing how Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday will perform...

Edited by StarSaber

While I do see around 50% drop I'm not sure how you can definitely say any of that not knowing how Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday will perform...

Because we know the weekly patterns in summer by and large. There will likely be a 10-20% Tuesday increase, 15-25% wednesday decrease, and a 5-10% Thursday decrease. Saying it lands in the middle of those ranges that would still put it down around 3.5m by Thursday. Will need a huge Friday and Saturday not to drop over 50%.

• Founder / Operator

Well, outside of some miracle occurring it doesn't look like PR is going to have that run I expected in the end. Legs may still be solid but after seeing the film I had a funny feeling it wasn't going to play as well with general audiences as buzz had begun convincing me it might. The market is just too saturated right now and the ad campaign dropped the ball about as hard as they could have. Live and learn, eh?

On to Elysium.

Edited by ShawnMR
  • Like 7

Well, outside of some miracle occurring it doesn't look like PR is going to have that run I expected in the end. Legs may still be solid but after seeing the film I had a funny feeling it wasn't going to play as well with general audiences as buzz had begun convincing me it might. The market is just too saturated right now and the ad campaign dropped the ball about as hard as they could have. Live and learn, eh?

On to Elysium.

Whats your early prediction for Elysium?

Well, outside of some miracle occurring it doesn't look like PR is going to have that run I expected in the end. Legs may still be solid but after seeing the film I had a funny feeling it wasn't going to play as well with general audiences as buzz had begun convincing me it might. The market is just too saturated right now and the ad campaign dropped the ball about as hard as they could have. Live and learn, eh?On to Elysium.

More important than anything else, what did YOU think about the movie?

Again, I'm not really sure what people were thinking -- PR's number seems about as expected.

It had the best Sunday drop by 4%. Its run is correcting itself. Whether that's good or bad we can't tell yet.
  • Like 1

Well, outside of some miracle occurring it doesn't look like PR is going to have that run I expected in the end. Legs may still be solid but after seeing the film I had a funny feeling it wasn't going to play as well with general audiences as buzz had begun convincing me it might. The market is just too saturated right now and the ad campaign dropped the ball about as hard as they could have. Live and learn, eh?On to Elysium.

Personally I want to wail on the WB marketing for doing a craptastic job for PR. They catered for too long and too hard to the core fans. That's always been my greatest fear about PR BO prospects and it looks like it came true.

• Founder / Operator

Whats your early prediction for Elysium?

I'm revising it at the moment, but at the start of summer I had it doing $25-30m OW, $85-90m domestic. I'm really liking its potential for $100m now, though.

Personally I want to wail on the WB marketing for doing a craptastic job for PR. They catered for too long and too hard to the core fans. That's always been my greatest fear about PR BO prospects and it looks like it came true.

And if you ask me, I think it was intentional since they didn’t have the best of relationships with Legendary Studios before Pacific Rim was released.

I'm revising it at the moment, but at the start of summer I had it doing $25-30m OW, $85-90m domestic. I'm really liking its potential for $100m now, though.

Damon is the same as Jolie. Audiences like to see em kick ass and little else. Plus the goodwill from District 9, early August slot (lends itself to less conventional tentpoles to break out) and footage itself looking great. Winner.

• Like 2

Personally I want to wail on the WB marketing for doing a craptastic job for PR.

What exactly did you want them to do differently???

It's a live action cartoon with giant robots fighting giant monsters. The human storylines were fairly generic, without many funny one-liners that they could have thrown in the trailers and commercials.

The movie is exactly what it was, and marketing accurately portrayed that.

I'm tired of people ripping the marketing for PR.

Why MU and not the other movies? MU is holding well.

Well it won't just be MU.

With 4 wide releases this weekend, WHD, TITE, LR, MOS, and MU should all be losing lots of screens.

I just took a closer look at the local theaters this weekend, and I was right on 4 out of the 5, but wrong about MU. A number of the theaters around here are pulling a bunch of showtimes from DM2 instead of MU. Pretty odd since DM2 is still the #1 movie in the country right now, but it's going to lose a lot of showtimes next weekend.

I'm tired of people ripping the marketing for PR.

The ripping is a bit overkill, as usual, but there are valid criticisms. For example, you could've easily cut a few spots and a trailer emphasizing some of the more human moments; that would've helped attract more than just the diehard kaiju crowd. WB *did* start doing this, but only in the last days before release. The TV spots featuring Charlie Day and Ron Perlman are a real hoot; they could've hit different emotional moments like glimpses of Mako's story, bits covering the camaraderie of the pilots, etc. Instead, until about 10 days before release, there was nothing except the concept trailers -- they did 3 of them, didn't they? It's not like the other spots don't feature action either.

Take a look at this, and ask, why weren't we seeing this at the head of the campaign instead of the tail end?

Or this, combined with a bit of the "to fight monsters we created monsters" stuff from the earlier trailers:

I understand wanting to withhold the bulk of your marketing the other big movies get released, but they could've established the human element very early on and THEN hammered it all harder when the big marketing push happened.

• Like 6