filmnerdjamie

Monday Numbers (07/15)

Cruise was originally considered for Elba's role but I really think Hunnam was the problem. He's supposed to be that hot leading man that gets girls to the theaters.. and he's just an empty vacuum.

To blame Hunnam for Pacific Rim's poor box office performance is rather ridiculous. He wasn't promoted as the star in the advertising.

• Like 1

Come on rimmers you cant blame hunman. Put Tatum in that role it makes around the same amount.

Nah, if Tatum was in the role they would've advertised Tatum and the human story. Tatum's not the reason for WHD's failure, OHF is. Tatum would've increased interest in the role, and also would've done a much better job at the role.

Cruise was originally considered for Elba's role but I really think Hunnam was the problem. He's supposed to be that hot leading man that gets girls to the theaters.. and he's just an empty vacuum.

Kinda like the guy in Tron:Legacy. He was pretty dull even though I actually liked the movie itself. I think they got the actors that they did because they were cheaper and there for they could spend money on the visual effects, action and design of the robots and creatures. Still, WB should have had some more focus on the characters and their personal stories.
  • Like 1

Well, outside of some miracle occurring it doesn't look like PR is going to have that run I expected in the end. Legs may still be solid but after seeing the film I had a funny feeling it wasn't going to play as well with general audiences as buzz had begun convincing me it might. The market is just too saturated right now and the ad campaign dropped the ball about as hard as they could have. Live and learn, eh?

On to Elysium.

Yep, I got that exact same feeling too when seeing it. Just doesn't feel like a widespread appeal kind of movie to me.

Lots of sellouts at my theater for discount Tuesday:

DM2 - 7 sellouts

GU2 - 3

The Heat - 3

Monsters U - 3

Let Me Explain - 2

TITE - 1

WHD - 1

WWZ - 1

Lone Ranger - 1

Man Of Steel - 1

That's right, zero sellouts for PacRim. It was playing on one of the big screens, but still, zero sellouts.

Lots of sellouts at my theater for discount Tuesday:

DM2 - 7 sellouts

GU2 - 3

The Heat - 3

Monsters U - 3

Let Me Explain - 2

TITE - 1

WHD - 1

WWZ - 1

Lone Ranger - 1

Man Of Steel - 1

That's right, zero sellouts for PacRim. It was playing on one of the big screens, but still, zero sellouts.

Posted Image

• Like 2

Tatum has personality onscreen.

Exactly, he's not great thespian but he's popular with audiences (especially women) and he even has some critical support after 21 Jump Street and Magic Mike. I think Tatum would've been spared the awful reviews that Hunnam got (which were truly terrible). 

I can't believe I'm defending Hunnam's performance but I think he's perfectly serviceable to the film. He never brought it down in any significant way for me because he's rarely ever the sole focus of the movie. There's much more of Sam Worthington alone in Avatar than Hunnam in PR and IMO the difference is felt.