filmnerdjamie

Monday Numbers (07/15)

Even before the Monday drop, I expected a drop near 60% for Pacific Rim this coming weekend. Seeming less and less likely this flick sniffs $100M DOM. In some ways I'm relieved. I'd Guillermo worked on other projects rather than waste time crafted a sequel to Pacific Rim.

Ouch. That would be HORRIBLE.

4 wide releases (all looking to pick apart Pacific Rim's demos) this weekend will do its damage. Man of Steel got kicked in the balls by 2 films following its huge weekend. Pacific Rim is facing 4 and people think it won't get ugly?!?

Christ, to be in denial.

Edited by filmnerdjamie
  • Like 3

I don't think PR will drop quite that much, but you have to expect that with 4 new openers, lots of films will have big drops this weekend. PR and GU2 though will have the slight advantage of not losing any theaters in their second weekend.

Expect films like WHD, LR, MU, MOS, and TITE to have some sizeable theater count losses.

No, Fat Internet Bloggers suck because their whining and "Why everyone must see PR/Scott Pilgrim/another overbudgeted niche flop?" essays about the choice between saving the future of movies vs destroying it is what turns off moderately geeky GA that anjoys tentpoles but draws the line somewhere (as in don't want to be mistaken for those clowns who think obviously dumb movies are thinking man's shit).

Scott Pilgrim was great. I'd rather have a film be great like SP and flop than it being a hit but sucking like TF or Happy Madison films.

4 wide releases (all looking to pick apart Pacific Rim's demos) this weekend will do its damage. Man of Steel got kicked in the balls by 2 films following its huge weekend. Pacific Rim is facing 4 and people think it won't get ugly?!?

Christ, to be in denial.

Actually I think Christ was closer to the sea of Galilee than denial

• Like 6

I don't think PR will drop quite that much, but you have to expect that with 4 new openers, lots of films will have big drops this weekend. PR and GU2 though will have the slight advantage of not losing any theaters in their second weekend.

Expect films like WHD, LR, MU, MOS, and TITE to have some sizeable theater count losses.

But they do will lose audience's choices.

Scott Pilgrim was great. I'd rather have a film be great like SP and flop than it being a hit but sucking like TF or Happy Madison films.

Why would you rather have a film that makes no money, than a film that is well liked by most people, which in turn makes money for studios which in turn means they can continue making movies?

• Like 1

at this rate PR will lose all its IMAX screens and give it back to Man of Steel

Except it's making less than a million bucks a day now