filmnerdjamie

Monday Numbers (07/15)

Why would you rather have a film that makes no money, than a film that is well liked by most people, which in turn makes money for studios which in turn means they can continue making movies?

Ask the head of Universal, who specifically called out some of his studio's big movies for being terrible and wished Scott Pilgrim and United 93 made more money: http://movieline.com/2011/11/03/universal-chief-ron-meyer-addresses-tower-heist-vod-fiasco-admits-cowboys-aliens-land-of-the-lost-wo/
  • Like 1

Ask the head of Universal, who specifically called out some of his studio's big movies for being terrible and wished Scott Pilgrim and United 93 made more money: http://movieline.com/2011/11/03/universal-chief-ron-meyer-addresses-tower-heist-vod-fiasco-admits-cowboys-aliens-land-of-the-lost-wo/

The movies he said were awful also flopped

That is entirely up to the exhibitor, correct me if I'm wrong. But that has happened before and Elysium is another month away...

PR made 7.3m in IMAX this weekend. How much would MOS have made? 900k? Even as demand for PR fades, MOS will keep dropping too.

No, Fat Internet Bloggers suck because their whining and "Why everyone must see PR/Scott Pilgrim/another overbudgeted niche flop?" essays about the choice between saving the future of movies vs destroying it is what turns off moderately geeky GA that anjoys tentpoles but draws the line somewhere (as in don't want to be mistaken for those clowns who think obviously dumb movies are thinking man's shit).

They said the same things cheerleading John Carter. I mean those 200M tentpoles don't need "Oh my god, go see that original movie because if not it's the absolute end of original moviemaking in Hollywood" massive online support (doing the work PR's marketing failed to do) moaning how GA are so dumb to watch Transformers even if PR would never have been greenlighted if not for Transformers massive success and PR is attempting at the same kind of popcorn entertainment. Fat geeks please.

Scifi and geek friendly adaptations will not die just because PR failed at the BO, like it didn't die after John Carter debacle, Speed Racer bomb and Scott Pilgrim flop. The movie still exists on its own so enjoy it. Don't put all doom and gloom on its shoulders like it's the end of artistry and moviemaking putting an unwashable stain on Hollywood's future if GA don't go in droves seeing it.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 5

Wishing doesn't pay the bills.

And btw...imo, SP sucked, like sucked a golf ball through 25 feet of garden hose sucked.

And btw...imo, SP sucked, like sucked a golf ball through 25 feet of garden hose sucked.

I think it's a fun, creative movie. But I can respect your opinion. I remember when I saw it with a group of friends and I was the only one who liked it.
  • Like 1

what makes you think WB wont give MOS one final push for 300?

I don't think 292M or 300M matters. I'm sure there goal has been met. Perhaps MoS 2 announcement hasn't happened because they're finding a replacement for Goyer.  :lol:

• Like 1

As much as I liked Scott Pilgrim, it's certainly niche as hell. I think the main reason more people are upset at PR's performance is that it actually had a relatively good chance of being a hit.

At face value, yes. But the marketing did nothing but shit the bed and hocked "For Geeks Only" from the get go.

• Like 1

At face value, yes. But the marketing did nothing but shit the bed and hocked "For Geeks Only" from the get go.

This is true. The early marketing really sucks. None of my friends or family members (who are GA) know its coming out. To be honest, I know about the movie cause I follow our forum, otherwise, I would not know till very late cause I don't remember my theater showing any PR teasers/trailers until its near release.