Creed | Rocky Spinoff | November 25, 2015 | Box Office Knockout | Stalloscarnominated!!

3 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

I would say any film made for the frat boy or dude bro crowd is a "bro" film.

Mad Max: Fury Road is a female empowerment movie dressed up in "bro film" clothing.

So, like somewhat slicky produced (but otherwise clunky) action movies and dumb comedies? Yeah, I don't think Creed is a "bro" film at all. While it skews male, it certainly has cross demo appeal.

Edit- added more descriptors

Edited by Jayhawk
  • Like 2

Just now, Jayhawk said:

So, like slick action movies and dumb comedies? Yeah, I don't think Creed is a "bro" film at all. While it skews male, it certainly has cross demo appeal.

Yeah. The Frat Pack movies are all bro films.

• Like 1

This movie had a montage that made me tear up from a mixture of joy, sadness, and melancholia nostalgia for a bunch of movies I watched for the first time last week

I wanna see it again mostly for that (also for the fights which include some really astounding sound design)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jayhawk said:

So, like somewhat slicky produced (but otherwise clunky) action movies and dumb comedies? Yeah, I don't think Creed is a "bro" film at all. While it skews male, it certainly has cross demo appeal.

Edit- added more descriptors

Huge African American female appeal if my screening was anything to go by. 

18 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Huge African American female appeal if my screening was anything to go by. 

Tessa Thompson and Phylicia Rashad are definitely the unsung heroes of this. Kudos to the script too for giving the love interest an interesting backstory and ambitions of her own.

Jesus, first the Revenant is called a "bro movie for frat boys" and now this, a well-received boxing drama appealing largely to an older and African-American audience, is one? Gotta love people throwing around useless terms without any meaning. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Jesus, first the Revenant is called a "bro movie for frat boys" and now this, a well-received boxing drama appealing largely to an older and African-American audience, is one? Gotta love people throwing around useless terms without any meaning. 

Creed played heavily male (66 percent), with 62 percent of the audience over the age of 25. Caucasians made up 38 percent of the audience, followed by African-Americans (30 percent) and Hispanics (20 percent), according to Rentrak exit polls.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-hunger-games-wins-844106

Edited by Goffe

Bro Movies : Creed, The Revenant, Black Mass, The Martian, Hateful Eight,any QT, Scorcese, Fincher (the Godfather of Bro if there ever was one), Nolan movies are bros movies by default. The Star Wars' OT. Captain America The Winter Soldier, Mad Max Fury Road

Not Bro Movies : Brooklyn, Room, Joy, Carol, The Intern, The Hunger Games, most Marvel, Tom Hooper movies, Meryl Streep Movies

42 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

You do understand there's a difference between male and "bro," right? I am a male. I saw this movie. I am NOT a fucking "bro."

A film that appeals mostly to men is a bro film and a film that appeals mostly to women is a chick flick. Most of the time the bro of the question enjoys only the superficial and shallow aspect of the movie, like boxing in this case or the action in MM for example, everything else is not as important. It's like women enjoying Magic Mike only for the stripping.

Is that definition wrong?

bro movie and artistic relevance are not mutually exclusive, you know...

Edited by Goffe

Movies like Entourage and Beerfest, where the primary appeal is to the "bro" subculture of young white guys who like to go out and get smashed and act like Tucker Max, THOSE are bro movies. Creed is just a drama that appeals to men, just like Hunger Games is an action movie that "appeals to women." There's a difference between being preferred by one gender and pandering to a subset of one gendder. 

• Like 1

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

Movies like Entourage and Beerfest, where the primary appeal is to the "bro" subculture of young white guys who like to go out and get smashed and act like Tucker Max, THOSE are bro movies. Creed is just a drama that appeals to men, just like Hunger Games is an action movie that "appeals to women." There's a difference between being preferred by one gender and pandering to a subset of one gendder. 

Hunger Games : Not Bro

Battle Royale : Bro