Creed | Rocky Spinoff | November 25, 2015 | Box Office Knockout | Stalloscarnominated!!

43 minutes ago, The Stingray said:

Man, if Stallone ends up getting an Oscar nomination, I'll go outside and do somersaults.

Really weak field this year, I'd say at this point he's in. The question now is can he win? I've seen all the contenders except Hardy, and I personally think Ruffalo beats everyone else in contention by a long shot. But Sly would probably be my second choice. Absolute joke Keaton is leading on Gold Derby right now. There was nothing to the role and nothing to the performance. If he does win it will merely be as a make up for last year. But Sly could indeed be the frontrunner given perfect combo of factors of little competition, a very well done performance, and the whole career legacy/never won thing going for him. I can see it happening. 

Edited by MovieMan89

18 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Really weak field this year, I'd say at this point he's in. The question now is can he win? I've seen all the contenders except Hardy, and I personally think Ruffalo beats everyone else in contention by a long shot. But Sly would probably be my second choice. Absolute joke Keaton is leading on Gold Derby right now. There was nothing to the role and nothing to the performance. If he does win it will merely be as a make up for last year. But Sly could indeed be the frontrunner given perfect combo of factors of little competition, a very well done performance, and the whole career legacy/never won thing going for him. I can see it happening. 

And it would be poignant if Rocky Balboa was the character he ultimately won for playing after all! But would the Academy care for all that? Hopefully.

4 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

Keaton and Ruffalo are both being pushed in Supporting for Spotlight.

That's too bad.  I thought Ruffalo was much more lead that supporting.  

2 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

Surely there's a way to determine which actor has the highest aggregate screentime and lines spoken so we don't have any more category fraud

One of the Oscar gurus suggested a rule that if an actor/actress is present for at least half of the film's screentime, they must be considered a lead.

that sort of statistical stuff is such a bad way to tell it. like i know a lot of people complained about it because, yes, he's in the movie a lot and he certainly talks a lot, but to me christoph waltz is clearly not a lead in django because it never feels like HIS story. for ensembles like spotlight it can go either way I don't really mind.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 2

True, there has to be some sort of "eye test" applied as well. Won't matter so long as Oscar rules encourage category fraud.

Spotlight it never felt like any one character stood out as the main. Keaton and Ruffalo definitely got the most time, with McAdams a fairly close third, but neither took over the movie.

I'm almost certain Keaton and Ruffalo had a very similar amount of screentime, along with McAdams (who was also good). No one was really lead, especially since the plot didn't really revolve around any of the movie characters. Ruffalo just stood out way more than Keaton, so I can see that making it seem like he was the lead. If anything, that's a testament to a great supporting performance. I think Sly felt similarly like a lead, despite clearly being supporting. 

• Like 1

Just got back from viewing #2. Even better the 2nd time. So happy this holds up. It's paced pretty damn well and it has very few faults. When it elevates, it as good as this series, or any boxing movie,as ever been. Easily #2 for me in the series behind the original. I may go for the rare triple dip over the holidays, if my schedule permits.

• Like 1