RyneOh1040

Weekend Numbers

Cavill was great, period. Dialog was proposerously ponderous and pretentious. The story AND SFX needed to be steamlined. Too much was going on in every scene and the movie was so fuckin noisy and loud I went numb and tuned out in the last half and hour or so. Which is a shame cause I really felt for Clark.

The story & drama of how Clark trying to struggle with his "alien-ness" should be central. Trying to fit in the whole Krypton mythology with all the hard scifi concepts just too much for the GA to take. The action is way too much and too "extended" to be enjoyable.

And Superman drowning in skulls is too dark for kids who come expecting a cleaner, safer superhero like Spidey. One kid kept crying when the skull scene came on, LOL.

You expect some dark, intense stuff from BATMAN because he is the Dark Knight, the guy who can afford to get his hands dirty. Batman is associated with the darkness, Superman the light. The two is like the Yin-Yang of DC Universe. Somebody at Warner (or Legendary) didn't actually like the boy scout aspect of Superman. Not enough selfless, people-saving scenes in MoS which is the most popular aspect of any Superman story. Audience expects to see that. There is also an interesting interview with Jim Lee, a well known Marvel comic book artist, who is now the publisher at DC. He said something very peculiar: "We have nothing to do with the new Superman movie..." 

Big Hero 6. Whatever that is.

Either way, Inception numbers looks unrealistic unless this turns out to be Nolan's first Oscar performance movie. He has the cast for it.
  • Like 1

Whoa... Animated movie. Just checked out the First Look. Animation looks impressive. That said, Instellar will own it.

There's no reason not to think that Interstellar and Big Hero Six can't share the market. Kids cartoons usually can coexist pretty easily with other movies.

• Like 1

• Founder / Operator

Either way, Inception numbers looks unrealistic unless this turns out to be Nolan's first Oscar performance movie. He has the cast for it.

Yeah, I'm not saying Interstellar has to hit Inception numbers. I just don't think BH6 is of any concern to it. Different audiences. MJ2 will be big, but if Potter/Twilight are any indication, it'll be a one- or two-weekend movie. Interstellar--pending another well-received Nolan movie--will play for a long time. And like you said, it has Oscar season to help it. Plus a fantastic cast.

The story & drama of how Clark trying to struggle with his "alien-ness" should be central. Trying to fit in the whole Krypton mythology with all the hard scifi concepts just too much for the GA to take. The action is way too much and too "extended" to be enjoyable.

And Superman drowning in skulls is too dark for kids who come expecting a cleaner, safer superhero like Spidey. One kid kept crying when the skull scene came on, LOL.

You expect some dark, intense stuff from BATMAN because he is the Dark Knight, the guy who can afford to get his hands dirty. Batman is associated with the darkness, Superman the light. The two is like the Yin-Yang of DC Universe. Somebody at Warner (or Legendary) didn't actually like the boy scout aspect of Superman. Not enough selfless, people-saving scenes in MoS which is the most popular aspect of any Superman story. Audience expects to see that. There is also an interesting interview with Jim Lee, a well known Marvel comic book artist, who is now the publisher at DC. He said something very peculiar: "We have nothing to do with the new Superman movie..." 

The whole Kelting with Zod was an embarrassing idea. I get that they wanted to make exposition more watchable but it ended up worse. They sitll couldn't hide the fact it was expostion and one of the worst kind - both show and tell which sums up into redundant.

It's a Nolan world we live in. I have a gut feeling that'll backfire with Interstellar.

Edited by fishnets

Yeah, I'm not saying Interstellar has to hit Inception numbers. I just don't think BH6 is of any concern to it. Different audiences. MJ2 will be big, but if Potter/Twilight are any indication, it'll be a one- or two-weekend movie. Interstellar--pending another well-received Nolan movie--will play for a long time. And like you said, it has Oscar season to help it. Plus a fantastic cast.

Also, a good part of the movie is being filmed using REAL IMAX cameras. WB is known to have IMAX exclusively for quite some time,
  • Like 2

Also, a good part of the movie is being filmed using REAL IMAX cameras. WB is known to have IMAX exclusively for quite some time,

I don't see how WB will be able to work out the same scenario with Hunger Games looming. Split showings maybe, but it won't be a run like Nolan's previous three films.

I don't see how WB will be able to work out the same scenario with Hunger Games looming. Split showings maybe, but it won't be a run like Nolan's previous three films.

MockingJay is filming with REAL IMAX? I think The Hunger Games was released on IMAX 2 weeks after the movies release date. I could be wrong. Either way, WB would only lose digital IMAX screens if MJ1 opens in IMAX. It won't take real IMAX screens away.

MockingJay is filming with REAL IMAX? I think The Hunger Games was released on IMAX 2 weeks after the movies release date. I could be wrong. Either way, WB would only lose digital IMAX screens if MJ1 opens in IMAX. It won't take real IMAX screens away.

Probably not, but losing those Digital IMAX screens will still hurt a lot, make no mistake. There's what, maybe 60 real IMAX screens, while the other 300 or so are digital? Even TDKR kept the digital screens until Indy in middle September.

Edited by Carlos Danger

I agree. This movie more than his other tentpoles needs a huge name. I'm getting Abyss feeling, another smart yet overbudgeted sci fi that needed a big name to become profitable (Ed Harris was fantastic but Arnie or Sigourney he never was, a character actor but not a star).