Gopher

The Interview | Limited Release on December 25, 2014

As a Black American raised in this county I know all to well about what freedom is and isn't.  I'm not against freedom of speech and I don't believe in putting creative boundaries on things.  But if you do a concept about KILLING a living President of a country.  Then you need to deal with what comes with that.  Nobody think's Kim Jr or his dad was a good person but he is the living President of a country. s

Oh, boo hoo. His dad was killed in Team America. Saddam Hussein was thoroughly made a fool of in the hot shots movies and had a bomb dropped on him. Zero repercussions. I don't wanna lay any blame on the creatives or Sony for greenlighting the film. It was a fine enough concept. shit on the same level has been done.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 8

As a Black American raised in this county I know all to well about what freedom is and isn't.  I'm not against freedom of speech and I don't believe in putting creative boundaries on things.  But if you do a concept about KILLING a living President of a country.  Then you need to deal with what comes with that.  Nobody think's Kim Jr or his dad was a good person but he is the living President of a country. s

He's not a president. He's a scum bag piece of shit dictator that threatens people go in the street and put down flowers and bow on the anniversary of his murderous, evil, rotting in hell father's death.

Everyone who believes in freedom should be mocking and pissing on the image of this stooge. He does not deserve anyone's respect but our disdain at his joke of a "government".

• Like 8

lol, you think this is gonna stop the leaks?

Exactly. Indeed, the film's release was the only silver lining of this: thanks to all the controversy and news it generated, it would have gotten a serious box office boost.

He's not a president. He's a scum bag piece of shit dictator that threatens people go in the street and put down flowers and bow on the anniversary of his murderous, evil, rotting in hell father's death.

Everyone who believes in freedom should be mocking and pissing on the image of this stooge. He does not deserve anyone's respect but our disdain at his joke of a "government".

I'm not complaining because I respect the man's Image

Idk, plenty of Americans hate Obama a billion times more than the North Koreans do

Yeah, but that didn't stop the news channel outrage when reality show famewhores crashed a White House state dinner, and Congress was all over the head of the Secret Service after the recent security lapse with the intruder who passed the gates, the lawn and walked around inside the White House.  If there had been some French or Iranian movie about guys traveling to the US to off Dubya or Obama, maybe he wouldn't have retaliated like this, but a lot of Americans would not have found it funny at all and cable news would have tried to make it into a thing.

But there would outraged period.  It's just too controversial of a concept.  Was it worth it in the end?  Not only did this mess cause the Sony Leak which exposed Hollywood Executives at there worst but now the movie won't be released in major theaters and they will lose even more money off the project.  It wasn't worth it. Again, I like Seth and James a lot.  Those are my guys but this wasn't a funny concept, sorry. 

Comedic taste asides, this film was about assassinating a currently living dictator. If someone made a film about having me assassinated I would be pissed, comedy or not. Make a film about any president or dictator getting killed that is still living and in power, and I am sure that person/country won't be happy. I like the balls that Seth Rogen and Franco have here. I really do, but NKs response is not surprising either.

Creatively people can do whatever they want, it just seems like a puzzling business decision to greenlight a movie like this, given how Hollywood is these days. I guess they should be applauded for taking a risk but I'm not sure how it happened. I would say they're Charlie Chaplin fans but I doubt the Sony execs/board know who he even was. There's a difference between a movie having fictional North Korean villains or Team America, which had puppets, and The Interview, a live action movie about killing a current world leader. There's a reason this is not a huge sub-genre in American film. I'm not saying he's a great guy, just the opposite, but there's nothing to indicate that he was going to react well and be all, "Yay, creative expression!" He's a brutal dictator, known for reacting badly to slights and NK has pulled off hacking attacks before, maybe in South Korea and not on US interests, but technologically, they're pretty advanced.

I don't see anyone saying that the hacking was justified, just because they think Sony greenlighting the movie was a bad idea. Anyway, why Kim Jong Il didn't react this way ten years ago with Team America, he was older, maybe slightly thicker skinned and technology wasn't as advanced ten years ago. Plus being from a different generation, cyber attacks might not have been part of his MO.

Edited by BoxOfficeChica
  • Like 2

I'm not complaining because I respect the man's Image

????????????

The fuck is wrong with you Ethan?

I don't like to be rude but seriously, WTF?! He's a ruthless dictator with zero care for his people's rights.

Edited by treeroy
  • Like 8

What if James Franco comes out of hiding next week and admits there was no movie in the first place and all of this was the most elaborate publicity stunt ever? Cause that is totally something he would do.

lol jk

Lol the man does not know what he says and does most of the time as he on drugs.

• Like 1

What if James Franco comes out of hiding next week and admits there was no movie in the first place and all of this was the most elaborate publicity stunt ever? Cause that is totally something he would do.

lol jk

It was a campaign to show just how dangerous North Korea actually is. HE'S TRYING TO TELL US SOMETHING WE'VE BEEN IGNORING.