Plain Old Tele

BoxOffice.com's top 20 action scenes of all time (VOTING IS CLOSED)

Inspired by Sims' work with the Top 100 list... anyone interested in contributing a list of their 20 greatest action scenes of all time? It has to be a fully self-contained scene or sequence... intercutting is fine, but that has to be part of the whole overall sequence. (So, for example, if you include the whole Darth Maul/Obi-Wan/Qui-Gon fight, you have to include Amidala storming the castle and Anakin in space).1. 10 points2. 6 points3. 5 points4. 4 points5. 3 points6-10. 2 points11-20. 1 pointI'll tally 'em via PM if enough people are interested.

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 2

I think Stingray did this last year but we never actually got any final results I believe so I am happy to go through it all again as long as there are actually some results afterwards.

(P.S I agree with sticking to a top twenty from each voter, but maybe if there are enough votes made, produce a top 50 list at the end of everything :) )

This is going to take some time.  But I have a question.  How do I determine what a scene is?  For example (and I'm obviously not putting this in my top 20, but for the question...) let's say I think the entire last battle in BD2 is one of the best 20, would I put the entire last battle of BD2?  Is that how it works?  Same with a fight scene?  Say I wanted to include the second boxing match in Rocky 3, would I just say that?

According to Wikipedia:

In Filmmaking and video production, a scene is generally thought of as the action in a single location and continuous time.

For example, parts of an action film at the same location, that play at different times can also consist of several scenes. Likewise, there can be parallel action scenes at different locations usually in separate scenes, except that they would be connected by media such as telephone, video, etc.

Edited by XenoZodiac

This is going to take some time.  But I have a question.  How do I determine what a scene is?  For example (and I'm obviously not putting this in my top 20, but for the question...) let's say I think the entire last battle in BD2 is one of the best 20, would I put the entire last battle of BD2?  Is that how it works?  Same with a fight scene?  Say I wanted to include the second boxing match in Rocky 3, would I just say that?

As long as its a continuous sequence, yes, it's acceptable. So if you want to include all the Vader/Luke fight in JEDI, you also have to include the Ewok battle and the attack on the Death star, since the movie intercuts all three. A single small-scale fight between 2 people is fine, but if the movie keeps cutting away to some un-related and non-actiony stuff, then that disqualifies it.

It's a tough question. Die Hard is the best action film ever made, but more because you get so involved with the protagonist rather than any particular set-piece in of itself. Something like The Matrix or countless superhero movies, on the other hand, have very obvious action sequences that stand-out from the narrative on their own.

Which is why I wanted to say the movie, Individually the action wouldn't make the list, but as a whole it does. 

No, I wouldn't say the action in it is particularly special at all. This is not a list of best movies, it's a list of best action sequences. The "best" modifies "action". I expect to see many an entry for movies that might not be great overall, but have fantastic action, like a Tony Jaa movie, for example.

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 1

This is actually easier than the top 25 list from last year (which we didn't get any results for). That list didn't allow you to choose a scene if it didn't all take place in the same setting. So you couldn't use the whole final battle in Jedi. This is much less complicated.

This is actually easier than the top 25 list from last year (which we didn't get any results for). That list didn't allow you to choose a scene if it didn't all take place in the same setting. So you couldn't use the whole final battle in Jedi. This is much less complicated.

Yep, just think of it as a self-contained sequence.