Neo

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny | June 30 2023 | Very mixed reviews out of Cannes

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

ending the movie  

Hide contents

with PWB punching Indy and then heading into the rushed denouement

was a terrible mistake. The movie would be a lot better received I think if they hadn't shit the bed with the ending

Spoiler

how could it have been better? Zero chance they could have left Indiana Jones back in time lmao. 

This is why you don't make action adventure movies with a 103 year old leading man. You expect me to enjoy it? Man has had a wonderful life and I hope he makes it to 120, but I will never be invested in him in action movies when my main concern is if he'll crack a rib.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, John Marston said:

ending the movie  

Hide contents

with PWB punching Indy and then heading into the rushed denouement

was a terrible mistake. The movie would be a lot better received I think if they hadn't shit the bed with the ending

I thought it worked very well.

Spoiler

Indy going all "this is what i have wanted all my life, nobody will miss me" and before it runs the risk of getting too sappy - WHAM! he got the idea literaly punched right out of him and then CUT to where the movie started basically (minus the prologue) and the emotional reunion with Marion.

I really enjoyed this latest and probably last outing of Indy. Maybe a tad too long in places but otherwise a pretty much worthy sendoff. Ford still got it, he's so effortless and charming. Really don't understand how you can hate this or find it boring but loving the OT. I rewatched all of them very recently and DoD fits right in. But that's just me...

• Like 3

21 hours ago, dudalb said:

Ford is 80, but Indy the charecter is a bit younger.

Point is somebody was  trying to make some political point about a movie that he has not even seen. Why should I pay any attention to him?

The character is 70, I guess. It is still a spectacularly stupid idea, even if it was meant to be a gag recalling Raiders. 

After a certain age, if a young person hits an old one, it seems like elder abuse...

20 minutes ago, TEE said:

The character is 70, I guess. It is still a spectacularly stupid idea, even if it was meant to be a gag recalling Raiders. 

After a certain age, if a young person hits an old one, it seems like elder abuse...

It's not so bad in the context of the movie though. The punch was a last ditch effort to try and save Indy from making a terrible mistake. 

Edited by KP1025

4 hours ago, Elessar said:

I thought it worked very well.

Reveal hidden contents

I really enjoyed this latest and probably last outing of Indy. Maybe a tad too long in places but otherwise a pretty much worthy sendoff. Ford still got it, he's so effortless and charming. Really don't understand how you can hate this or find it boring but loving the OT. I rewatched all of them very recently and DoD fits right in. But that's just me...

This is a movie that if  people go in with an open mind and are not letting all the outside noise influence them will very likely enjoy. So many people will watch this on D+ and say it was much better than they thought it would be. 

15 hours ago, emoviefan said:

The more I sit on this movie the more I love it. Yes it does drag a little in the middle but that  last half 45 minutes of this is just wow. It feels likes a lot  of people's overall opinion depends on how they feel about that ending. 

I feel the same. I thought it was decent, but the more time passes the more I like it. Go Indy!

Watched it again yesterday with my 68 year old father, he loved it and said it felt like a return to the form of the original trilogy after KOTCS.

Also…

Spoiler

The line “your calculations were WRONG!” is delivered by Ford absolutely majestically 😂

• Like 3
  • Heart 1

1 hour ago, SnokesLegs said:

Watched it again yesterday with my 68 year old father, he loved it and said it felt like a return to the form of the original trilogy after KOTCS.

Also…

Reveal hidden contents

On that note...

Spoiler

I really love how Voller is the first villain in the franchise to really reckon with his actions. Most of them die before they realized they screwed up (Belloq, Donovan, Spalko) or die thinking they are in the right (Mola Ram), but Voller gets to see where they ended up and you can see him slowly realize over the scene just how much they fucked up. It's great facial acting from Mads.

• Like 4

I just saw this movie with my mom, I had a really great time and she loved it! There was a lot of action set pieces that delighted her and the movie was set in so many places and she enjoyed the settings so much. I liked the ending and was quite moved by it and she did as well. I don't get much of the hate of this movie at all. Harrison Ford is front and center in this movie and he has so many action scenes. Helena Shaw actually gets put in her place by him a couple times in the movie. Also I didn't dislike Helena Shaw's character at all, I thought she brought a lot of spunky energy that really fit well in the movie. Phoebe Waller-Bridge has charisma and she's having a hoot of a time in this film! There are instances when she might be grating a bit but it's mostly due to the writing and dialogue and that's like 1 or 2 moments in the movie. A very well made and entertaining movie imo. I thought they gave a fitting end to Indiana Jones but it doesn't totally end his journey. There's a room open there for another adventure with him. I'd recommend this movie to anyone really even those who aren't the biggest fans in the series, honestly they might like this even more. Extreme fans out there seem to have it in their heads on how the series should end and if it doesn't totally align with their vision then they get angry. I'd rank this 4th in the franchise but a very solid fourth because how good the first 3 films are. 

Edited by Godzilla
  • Like 5
  • Heart 1

17 hours ago, Noctis said:

This is why you don't make action adventure movies with a 103 year old leading man. You expect me to enjoy it? Man has had a wonderful life and I hope he makes it to 120, but I will never be invested in him in action movies when my main concern is if he'll crack a rib.

You really have no idea of how movies are made, do you?

Edited by dudalb

So I've never really got into the Indy franchise but I saw this today with some friends because I didn't really have anything else to do and didn't want to do nothing on 4th of July. That being said, I actually enjoyed it and thought it was a fun adventure movie. It was definitely longer than it needed to be and the ending was a little anti climatic but I still enjoyed it.

• Like 2