baumer

The World's End (2013)

50 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Funnily enough it's up there with This Is The End as one of the best movies of the summer. Simon Pegg is fucking awesome/hilarious in this. Don't like the last five minutes but the rest if great fun.

"get in your rocket and fuck off back to legoland, you cunts!" :)

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 9

Watched it about a month ago when it was doing the rounds in the UK. Fantastic film and just as good as the last two in the Cornetto trilogy. For anyone wanting to see it, I'd advise rewatching Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz first, because there are a lot of very subtle links and similarities between the three films. Here's a list of just the ones I spotted in my first viewing.

- Fence Gag (obviously)- Film begins with flash cuts of Pegg's character brushing his teeth- Almost identical flash cuts of a beer being drawn from the pub- The arcade machine + jingle- The entire town/city being against the heroes (if you count the zombies as effectively being 'the entire town'.)- A pair of identical twins 

Also, (major spoilers here) according to a mate of mine who also saw the film, the younger robot versions of the gang can be seen in the background of the film. Anyone able to confirm?

Wright never disappoints. This is probably 2013's one of the few most hilarious comedies along with This is the End. This movie isn't just hilarious. Its Smart and also wise. Each and every performance is awesome. Also there is a great soundtrack from some tunes of Blur, James, Sisters of mercy and happy mondays. 8.4/10

Edited by The Joker

It's a very good movie. A genuinely funny comedy with real character development and meaning behind it (both as a standalone feature about a pathetic drunk dragging his friends through his efforts to recreate the glorious past and as the end of a trilogy about guys trying/failing to grow up) that still has great action sequences and some really fun sci-fi elements. Not my favorite Wright movie but he's 4/4 in directing as far as I'm concerned. 

Pegg has a manic performance that can turn sad on a dime. This is some of his best acting work yet. Frost mostly plays against type here (at least the type he had in Shaun/Fuzz) and he's also excellent. 

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 5

Wright definitely has a knack for mixing genres, combining apocalyptic sci-fi and mid-life crisis dramedies this time around. Basically, it's The Big Chill meets Invasion of the Body Snatchers, a difficult genre fusion that succeeds thanks to a strong ensemble and Wright's stylistic flair. There is a lot more exposition than you'd expect this time around but it's all worth it and gives us an opportunity to see a side of both Pegg and Frost that wasn't present in the previous installments. The added depth makes this feel like the perfect conclusion to the series, ultimately bringing various themes present in the previous two installments full circle but it works just as well as a standalone film.

I also liked the cameos from various other Spaced alum, although I think my group were the only ones who noticed.

• Like 2

Meh. The laughs were few and far between for me and the plot was just too over the top, even for a Wright/Pegg movie. Also felt like I was being spoon fed the "moral of the story" by the end. Not as good as Hot Fuzz, and doesn't even touch Shaun of the Dead. And as far as summer's comedies go, We're The Millers and The Heat made me laugh way more than this.

B-

I just thought this was freaking hilarious. Everyone was great in their role, Pegg especially. I just really liked everything about it. A+, my favorite movie of the year so far.

Best part: "W. T. F."

"What the fuck does W.T.F. mean?"

"WHAT THE FUCK?!?!?"

"... oh..."

• Like 2

Another fantastic work from Edgar Wright.

Sporting a lot of great sci-fi comedy, brilliant action scenes, and great characters to follow, The World's End never features a dull moment. I didn't expect such a dramatic turn by the third act. I was expecting it to just be about Pegg's character maturing, and that would be that, but Wright and Pegg blindside us with a surprisingly deep act with deep themes. Humans are all imperfect, but that's okay, since we continue to improve and grow up throughout our lives. Also, what's to say that other planets weren't brainwashed in the same way we were in this film?

The epilogue felt kind of tacked on, though. I would have been fine with the gigantic global burst of destruction and then fading to credits, kind of like what CITW did. (The endings to each film are actually are actually quite similar, if you think about it.) Still, it's a superd, exciting ride that will surprise you at every turn.

A-

• Like 1

I feel like some are short-changing this film by viewing it as merely a comedy. Sure, it's funny, but there's many different dynamics at play here that make it more than a comedy.There is indeed a lot of exposition, but it really doesn't matter once things get going. The last hour was great, minus the epilogue as some have stated. The climax at the end was one of the best scenes of the year, Wright killed it in those 5 minutes.Hot Fuzz remains king to me, but this is another damn strong addition to the Wright/Pegg/Frost library.B+

• Like 4

2nd best movie of the summer. This is the End was the best. Wright knocks it out of the park on this one. The movie is funny and also has good dramatic moments.  Pegg does a great in the movie by playing a very different character than he usually plays.  I agree about the epilogue i did not care for it.

A-. 

Edited by Dexter of Suburbia
  • Like 2

I thought this was too much of a Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz rehash but that s just me. Yeah I know it was Wright's cornetto 's trilogy but still I was underwhelmed.

I don't know, something didn't click for me on this one.

I found the aliens utterly ridiculous ...

Some good dialogue though, a bit too talky , I sometimes wanted Pegg's character to shut the hell up from time to time.

And great fights, a few good laughs and that s about it.

The emotional beats felt forced and contrived.

Meh

B-

Edited by The Futurist