John Marston

Times when you felt poor marketing hindered a film's business

Pacific Rim

STID

KFP2

WHD

The Muppets

I think the marketing behind PR & STiD are pretty substantial and spot on. 

STID is a well made scifi action but its war-on-terror theme is getting too

tiresome for audience. It still made more than $200M DOM but too cerebral for OS

audience no matter how good the marketing is. PR is a little too thin on plotting &

no matter how fanboys including this one gushed over it, GA feels it is a cheap

TRANSFORMERS-lite.

WHD looks too similar to OHF and nobody likes Jamie Foxx. Whereas OHF takes the

concept seriously, WHD has too much unfunny but supposedly comic moments where

killing man is treated like a gag ("Now you can shoot him!!").

Edited by zackzack

The Muppets really? I thought people were saying that marketing campaign was clever?

People were also saying the marketing campaign for STID was clever before it came out. ;) The Muppets aimed too adult to get kids to come onboard, which is an obvious issue.

I think the marketing behind PR & STiD are pretty substantial and spot on. 

STID is a well made scifi action but its war-on-terror theme is getting too

tiresome for audience. It still made more than $200M DOM but too cerebral for OS

audience no matter how good the marketing is. PR is a little too thin on plotting &

no matter how fanboys including this one gushed over it, GA feels it is a cheap

TRANSFORMERS-lite.

Like Transformers?

God I think Perks of Being a Wallflower is such an excellent film. I didn't see it until last month. Watched it 3 times. Fantastic.

Anyway, I remember The Hitcher from 2007 having a totally bleak, messy, misleading marketing campaign. No surprises it flopped.

The Hitcher? Fucking love that film. But the reason I first watched it is because I thought it looked really good...and because of Sophia Bush. But, the trailer is FAR from bleak. It's intense, especially the final minute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqvS6zD6XQY

I still find it funny that some people really blame STiD's marketing for its less than expected numbers only after the fact, its flat out revisionist history if you ask me.  Prior to release, there wasn't a negative peep about its trailers/marketing, they were basically met with songs of praise.  The 4 year wait after the first movie and its really, really sandwiched release date is what caused those numbers.  Reception wasn't shitty either.

I totally agree with this. In the months prior to STD's release the reaction to the trailers here and on other geek sites was positively ecstatic. They were praised for supposedly showing how "epic" the film was going to be and Cumberbatch was singled out as looking like a strong villain. Personally, I never thought the trailers were as strong as others did. Had they clearly outlined the plot and identified Khan as the villain, it might have done better. 

Pacific Rim. Arguably the worst marketed movie this year.

This. WB and GdT spent far too much time and effort preaching to the geek choir instead of engaging the GA, which is the bulk of the audience. Footage and trailers were shown exclusively to conventioneers, when the studio should have been getting that material before the wider public. The silly viral marketing program centered mostly on posters of the robots and boring videos when it should have shown exciting clips from the film. The marketers basically acted as if they had a built-in fanbase instead of trying to generate real world buzz as opposed to Internet chatter. It was only when the studio realized about a month out that it had a bomb on its hand that they made a push, but it was too late by then. 

after seeing Ender's Game this definitely deserves to be on this list. The trailers are terrible and don't make any sort of idea as to what the movie is really about. The movie could have been potentially been a 100m hit but Summit screwed it up treating it almost like some throwaway movie

Edited by John Marston

another one. Real Steel from 2011. The marketing made it look solely like a sci fi robot boxing action movie ignoring the whole father son underdog storyline aspect that could have attracted more family audiences (film pretty much skewed young male entirely) and gotten the film to 100m.