John Marston

Times when you felt poor marketing hindered a film's business

Come on, like a different makreting campaign would have changed anything for ClouD Atlas.

The movie is difficult, it is too different, it is too out there, it was always destined to become a cult favourite, nothing more.

It would've changed a lot. A good marketing campaign and a decent release date and the movie would've grossed 100M+ in the US alone. It was Warner Bros. mistake that they ditched it. I mean, many people, like really many people, loved the heck out of the movie, assuring some decent word of mouth that would've carried it past the 100M mark.

Star Trek 2, Hobbit, Sherlock Holmes 2, Percy Jackson 2 (marketing and release date were both terrible), Cloud Atlas, John Carter (the SuperBowl spot alone proves this), RIPD (Kevin Bacon nowhere to be found), 2 Guns (I can't understand what is the story going by the trailers), White House Down, Kung Fu Panda 2 (DAT teaser trailer), Prince of Persia, Jack the Giant Slayer (pure WTF, just like the next example, only the final trailer released one week before the movie was good), Pacific Rim, Wrath of the Titans, Rise of the Guardians, Red 2 (marketing and release date, and killing Morgan Freeman in the first movie, that was also pretty stupid), Kick-Ass 2, The Lone Ranger (so... the final DOM trailer has a big reference to PotC, but in the final OS trailer that is nowhere to be found... shouldn't these two trailers switch? What was the logic behind this?) and Beautiful Creatures (WTF happened here? It had far more breakout potential than Mortal Instruments or The Host).

If I remember more I will post here.

First Class. Marketing played purely on franchise nostalgia after The Last Stand and Origins had already zapped all goodwill away from the franchise. Should have focused on the McFass romance

If not for the excellent marketing, First Class would've grossed a lot less, just sayin'

God I think Perks of Being a Wallflower is such an excellent film. I didn't see it until last month. Watched it 3 times. Fantastic.

Anyway, I remember The Hitcher from 2007 having a totally bleak, messy, misleading marketing campaign. No surprises it flopped.

• Like 3

God I think Perks of Being a Wallflower is such an excellent film. I didn't see it until last month. Watched it 3 times. Fantastic.Anyway, I remember The Hitcher from 2007 having a totally bleak, messy, misleading marketing campaign. No surprises it flopped.

The Hitcher wasn't exactly a great film though. Sean bean's American accent was almost as bad as Statham's in Safe!

The Hitcher wasn't exactly a great film though. Sean bean's American accent was almost as bad as Statham's in Safe!

What does the quality of film have to do with its marketing?

Oh, is it only great films that we're discussing? I noticed someone mentioned Cloud Atlas?

Anyway, what I mean is, it would have had a bigger opening weekend if it had been marketing correctly. The producer said that the marketing was terrible.

About Cloud Atlas - IMHO marketing was pretty good. How they could have done it better? I don't see any solution.

I think that Cloud Atlas should have started with limited screenings on the West and East coasts before expanding. The blew there wad and kind of dumped it on a weak weekend.