John Marston

Times when you felt poor marketing hindered a film's business

Well, I also think Beyond should have been tied in with the 50th Anniversary.  I saw 50th Anniversary stuff everywhere, and they had a panel at ComicCon etc....and it wouldn't have taken much to add an insert of the film poster to each magazine cover, etc.

31 minutes ago, Chewy said:

I'm grateful that we can all rag on Trek's OS performance in peace without all the bickering. Really brings us together

Seriously though, 163M OS and a finish under Tarzan was not something expected of the movie. Granted, China disappointing (in addition to every single market disappointing) also had a lot to do with it.

10 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Lionsgate needs to start marketing their 156M budgeted tentpole soon. Deepwater Horizon needs all the help it can get currently.

that movie is screwed no matter what. It is just not a movie that will make the type of money needed to cover that budget. 

1 hour ago, Chewy said:

Not saved it, but all the "that trailer was out too long they needed to get the other trailers out sooner" talk is nonsense. The other trailers were worse. Selling nothing. Farts in the wind

The the first trailer was not successful, I remember both fans and people who just like the Abrams movies only both hating that trailer 

Even for someone that didn't give a damn about the character (like me), Dredd was a great little movie. It deserved much better, and I only found out about it on home video after reading the raves on another forum. Even accounting for the fact that it had no stars (Karl Urban is nowhere near a draw), and an IP with a very small fanbase, the numbers it pulled are just terrible given the quality of the film. I'm not saying something stupid like 100m, but 30-40 should have been a pretty reasonable DOM target.

I also echo the voices for Jack Reacher. When the trailers came up it looked like a generic Tom Cruise actioner, and I gave it a pass. Caught it on the telly months later and I was surprised how fun (and funny) it was. Nothing of that transpired from the ad campaign which was vanilla "Tom Cruise is a badass in this" hack job. Heck, discovering Jack Reacher actually made me catch MI: Rogue Nation in theatres - first MI movie I watched in cinemas since MI:2 -, since Christopher McQuarrie got both directing gigs. Heck, after being in the Hollywood doghouse for so long I'm happy to see McQuarrie finally getting his break, Usual Suspects was so so long ago.

Edited by Celedhring
  • Like 2

Marketing feels so much more important for a movie's success these days. So many movies with potential being "destroyed" by crappy market. Beyond was a movie that should have done so much better OS, it had a lot of the things OS audiences usually go for and yet there was no hype...

Still, there are a few exceptions where marketing sucked but the movie performed above expectations too, no? Am I right in saying Tarzan was one of them? I don't think any of us expected the numbers it's got after seeing its marketing, right? I mean, I was thinking it would surprise people with its numbers a few months earlier but then the marketing hit...

Funny thing is, critics thought it was pretty meh and I thought that would be the nail on its coffin but then it went on to do  better than most of us thought on OW and it managed a over 3x multiplier after that! Was it all the V?

• Like 2

Even though I'm no fan of that film, a perfect example of a film being killed by poor marketing is The Good Dinosaur. C'mon, it was a Disney/Pixar release almost isolated in its genre (Peanuts did well, but nowhere near enough to be truly competitive). It should've gotten an Inside Out'ish marketing campaign where they bombarded just about everywhere w/ads for this thing. It would've at least mustered a 3-day 50M+ OW, which is what only the 5-day accomplished. And the trailers were just unimpressively cut. I guess they were afraid to waste too much money on a mess of a film, but whatever, if they had given it a proper marketing campaign, it could've broken at least 150-175M and around 450M WW (at which point it would've broken even).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Even though I'm no fan of that film, a perfect example of a film being killed by poor marketing is The Good Dinosaur. C'mon, it was a Disney/Pixar release almost isolated in its genre (Peanuts did well, but nowhere near enough to be truly competitive). It should've gotten an Inside Out'ish marketing campaign where they bombarded just about everywhere w/ads for this thing. It would've at least mustered a 3-day 50M+ OW, which is what only the 5-day accomplished. And the trailers were just unimpressively cut. I guess they were afraid to waste too much money on a mess of a film, but whatever, if they had given it a proper marketing campaign, it could've broken at least 150-175M and around 450M WW (at which point it would've broken even).

I think Disney didn't want to distract people from a small movie that was released in December 2015.

Also, The Good Dinosaur was a troubled production, so maybe they just wanted to wash their hands of it.

Just now, cannastop said:

I think Disney didn't want to distract people from a small movie that was released in December 2015.

Also, The Good Dinosaur was a troubled production, so maybe they just wanted to wash their hands of it.

Wasn't Inside Out troubled too? And Zootopia had a lot of problems too.

Just now, RandomJC said:

Wasn't Inside Out troubled too? And Zootopia had a lot of problems too.

Not nearly as much as The Good Dinosaur. Directors weren't fired from Inside Out or Zootopia. Also, those two movies didn't have release dates that shifted two times. If The Good Dinosaur went by its original plan, it would have been released two years earlier.

• Like 1