John Marston

Times when you felt poor marketing hindered a film's business

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

Star Trek Beyond - felt like Paramount barely marketed it and they didn't even try to tie in the 50th anniversary aspect.  Just terrible

The audience STB failed to attract could not care less about a Star Trek anniversary, there are like 5 franchises on Earth where an anniversary would make even a little difference

Also people on here were raving about that last STB trailer when it came out

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chewy said:

The audience STB failed to attract could not care less about a Star Trek anniversary, there are like 5 franchises on Earth where an anniversary would make even a little difference

that trailer came out too late. Barely got any attention

5 Franchises? I think it's more like 0 franchises were anniversaries would matter for the box office.

Just now, cannastop said:

5 Franchises? I think it's more like 0 franchises were anniversaries would matter for the box office.

I feel like a 50th anniversary for Star Wars or Batman might add a whopping 2M to a gross

• Like 2

Yes, but it was released too late, the first trailer was not well received and it hurt the movie, the soft marketing push didn't help anything, it probably would have decreased from STiD anyways, but 180-200m maybe. Instead of $160m. :unsure:

3 minutes ago, Kalo said:

Yes, but it was released too late, the first trailer was not well received and it hurt the movie, the soft marketing push didn't help anything, it probably would have decreased from STiD anyways, but 180-200m maybe. Instead of $160m. :unsure:

it was also the only trailer out from December 2015 to May 2016

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Chewy said:

They released 3 trailers between late May and mid July. It was hilarious. And all of them failed in having any sort of reason to why the GA should be interested. They knew they were screwed.

2 minutes ago, Chewy said:

The Beastie Boys trailer was better than the "this looks like the same movie for the third time" trailer

I don't know how you can even argue that tbh

That trailer was awful too. It wouldn't saved it either if the mkt was all like that.

9 minutes ago, cannastop said:

8 minutes ago, Chewy said:

I feel like a 50th anniversary for Star Wars or Batman might add a whopping 2M to a gross

The 50th anniversary for Bond definitely helped Skyfall

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Captain America Civil War released in Cap's 75th Anniversary and it increased $148m! I'm sure it must be becuase of that! :popcorn:

Just now, CJohn said:

That trailer was awful too. It wouldn't saved it either if the mkt was all like that.

Not saved it, but all the "that trailer was out too long they needed to get the other trailers out sooner" talk is nonsense. The other trailers were worse. Selling nothing. Farts in the wind

1 minute ago, 4815162342 said:

The 50th anniversary for Bond definitely helped Skyfall

Did it? Or was it the fantastic marketing campaign, the epic promotion during the Olympics and the Adele song that hyped people?

Just now, CJohn said:

Did it? Or was it the fantastic marketing campaign, the epic promotion during the Olympics and the Adele song that hyped people?

Feel like it helped somewhat. But people think of Bond as cool and Star Trek as Star Trek

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Not saved it, but all the "that trailer was out too long they needed to get the other trailers out sooner" talk is nonsense. The other trailers were worse. Selling nothing. Farts in the wind

They really bet on the Rihanna music. It was all over marketing here. Maybe they thought it could save the movie OS lmao.

• Like 1