Fancyarcher

Goosebumps | October 16, 2015 | Jack Black | First Trailer on Page 11!

This movie's cancellation here puzzles me. It is clearly a good movie that is gonna make money. It was technically delayed to January 28 but that is obvious a placeholder release date until they officially pull the plug. I guess since dubbing these movies is quite expensive they decided it was stupid to release it just in the original version and feared another Annie would happen. Pan is getting released dubbed and in the original version this weekend here. Cinderella did well using this strategy here last Easter.  

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 1

24/75

By the way, can anyone with kids tell me why there's such a huge discrepancy between animated kids movies and live-action kids movies?

In kid movies the kids are generally bad actors and the adults are slumming it. That's not a problem with animation.

• Like 2

24/75

By the way, can anyone with kids tell me why there's such a huge discrepancy between animated kids movies and live-action kids movies?

I don't know if you mean a discrepancy between BO or quality, but I'm gonna assume you mean BO.

It's similar to traditionally animated movies and CG animated movies. Kids are so used to watching cartoons with the traditional flat animation on television to the point where now the prospect of seeing one on the big screen just doesn't interest them. Cinema is reserved for the pretty CG cartoons that are all in 3D, like Minions. TV is for flat cartoons like Adventure Time.

When it comes to live action. Kids are used to live action sitcoms with a laugh track, when they go to see something in live action at the cinema it's normally a giant, CG, PG13 summer blockbuster. It's not entirely a problem with the kids, it's just that the pg13 blockbusters also have a massive older audience that boosts up the BO.

In kid movies the kids are generally bad actors and the adults are slumming it. That's not a problem with animation.

For some bizarre reason, it has become very respectable for an really big actor to do voice work for an animated film,but they avoid live action kid oriented movies like the plague.

As for Goosebumps, I think it will do much better then some people here expected, iMHO the trailers were good (I had no interest in seeing the film before the trailer) and if it manages to appeal both to kids and to their parents who grew up on the "Goosebumps" book it could do very well.

BUt if you are looking for hard core horror,look elsewhere. The film was never meant to be  hard line scary, just let's tell each other ghost stories type "fun" scary.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

I guess Sony is already happy with this & really wants a sequel?

"To be No. 1 in such a competitive marketplace is an incredible result," said Sony worldwide president of marketing and distribution Josh Greenstein. "This is the beginning of a franchise."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-goosebumps-spooks-bridge-832844

Just watched it.....

It was more a comedy than a horror movie as I expected, but for my surprise, it was not a bad thing, the movie is pretty much funny, and actually, it works more as a comedy than a horror/adventure movie, the only thing that I have to complain is that the movie has basically focus on just one character from the books, the rest is barely showed, my favorite book is not even mentioned... Oh, and I also wanted more scenes of the cops, they're easily the funniest thing on the movie.... Overall, it's a good movie for Halloween, and also brought me a lot of nostalgia, I really want it to receive a sequel! 

This might the most shocking film of the year for me.  I know that sounds like I'm being sarcastic but I truly am not.  I was obsessed with these books in elementary school and frankly, I thought the trailer looked terrible.  But I LOVED the movie.  Other than Kingsman, it's the most fun I've had at the theater all year.  And that's what Goosebumps should be.  Making Slappy the leader of the monsters was genius.  This will become a Halloween staple for me.

• Like 1