CJohn

F9: The Fast Saga | June 25, 2021 | Pray to your Dom Shrine! | Coming to Cannes!

Ironic given my screen name, but this franchise misses Paul Walker badly. He was the heart of the franchise and was necessary for Vin to bounce off of.

Highlight of the film was seeing the tokyo drift crew again, and I hope they stay for the final films. I dont think I can take 2 more films of dom brooding while other characters get sidelined.

H&S didnt do much for me. Rock was just playing himself again and might as well have been a different character than the Hobbs we first met. 

56 minutes ago, CJohn said:

It is still a vicious drop from F8's WW total of 1.2B, that is probably why nobody sees it as a victory.

Given obvious franchise fatigue and the pandemic, this film performed about as well as could be reasonably expected. Granted, I suppose China was a disappointment given the rather swift rejection of the film. But everywhere else was good.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Given obvious franchise fatigue and the pandemic, this film performed about as well as could be reasonably expected. Granted, I suppose China was a disappointment given the rather swift rejection of the film. But everywhere else was good.

Hey hey hey you know I am on team BIG FAMILY WIN here.

• Thanks 1

This entire profile is great, the Diesel stuff is amazing:  https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2021/10/dwayne-johnson-speaks-his-truth

But behind the scenes there had been a growing schism between Johnson and Vin Diesel, serious enough that Johnson only agreed to return for the series’ eighth installment, The Fate of the Furious, on the condition that he and Diesel shared no scenes. “I wanted to forgo drama,” he tells me. “I thought that that was the best thing to do. For everybody.”

It clearly wasn’t enough; their issues sprung into the open with a now-notorious Instagram post that Johnson wrote a week before the end of production. He subsequently deleted it, but not before it had traveled far and wide. It read, in part: “My female co-stars are always amazing and I love ’em. My male co-stars however are a different story. Some conduct themselves as stand up men and true professionals, while others don’t. The ones that don’t are too chicken sh*t to do anything about it anyway. Candy asses. When you watch this movie next April and it seems like I’m not acting in some of these scenes and my blood is legit boiling—you’re right.” He closed things out with the hashtag #ZeroToleranceForCandyAsses.

“Candy ass,” as previously mentioned, was one of The Rock’s trademark wrestling put-downs. For clarity, and at my request, Johnson supplies the following definition: “A candy ass is something you don’t want to be. And the best way that I can describe a candy ass is: Life is so much easier, I have found, when you are not full of shit. And a candy ass is completely full of shit.”

I ask Johnson whether something specific had happened on set to provoke his post.

“Nothing specific happened, just the same old shit,” he says. “And that just wasn’t my best day.”

Because of what happened, I ask, or because he chose to share it on Instagram?

“Chose to share it.”

He regretted it?

Johnson laughs. “It caused a firestorm. Yet interestingly enough…[it was] as if every single crew member found their way to me and either quietly thanked me or sent me a note. But, yeah, it wasn’t my best day, sharing that. I shouldn’t have shared that. Because at the end of the day, that goes against my DNA. I don’t share things like that. And I take care of that kind of bullshit away from the public. They don’t need to know that. That’s why I say it wasn’t my best day.”

But, I confirm, he wouldn’t take it back—he just wouldn’t share it publicly?

“No, I meant what I said. For sure. I mean what I say when I say it. But to express it publicly was not the right thing to do.”

It was subsequently reported that some kind of peace meeting took place soon afterward in Johnson’s trailer.

“Well, there was a meeting,” Johnson tells me, laughing. “I wouldn’t call it a peaceful meeting. I would call it a meeting of clarity. He and I had a good chat in my trailer, and it was out of that chat that it really became just crystal clear that we are two separate ends of the spectrum. And agreed to leave it there.”

• Haha 1

Remember when people assumed their feud was fake and just had to be a publicity stunt for the latest F&F movie? Let's see the Ryan Murphy show on these two, lol. It's not like The Rock is the world's greatest actor or anything, but Vin seems to have zero self-awareness while taking himself and the Fast franchise very seriously. 

3 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Vin  taking himself and the Fast franchise very seriously. 

The franchise is his baby. What else does he have? For The Rock, the Fast franchise is just another movie. He has other projects that make bank.

Team Vin

Edited by Maggie
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, karlleng said:

Watch Dwayney in Fast Five and compare it to his lazy performance in F8 for example, dude is on autopilot in this franchise.

Probably because of all the off-screen tension. I loved Fast Five but I've only seen the rest once and can't really tell them apart to remember

19 hours ago, Chicago said:

It seems to me Vin and co didnt like the fact that The Rock joining the franchise made it more relevant at the box office. 

Have you taken a look at rocks box office career before joining the franchise? Its like night and day after joining the franchise. Seeing Diesel and Rock together was one of the main draws of five, along with it being the best film in the franchise. Its not like rock was who he is now when he joined. He was releasing duds like Faster. Fast Four, pre rock joining, was a higher grossing film than any film rock had made in his career prior to joining the franchise. 

Seems to me like rock wanted control of the franchise and took his shot. That's why he made this public. He has the personality of a politician and moves like one. With Paul gone he saw an opportunity.

Edited by Dominic Draper