#ED

Gotham | FOX

Gotham honestly needs ONLY 1 less Batman character, and that's Bruce Wayne.

A while back Film Crit Hulk floated this theory around that Batman's really just an overgrown man child. I mostly disagree, but after seeing Gotham, I might actually agree. Seriously, while watching Gotham, you realize that Bruce's problems need psychiatric help, not Batman to be fixed. The more the show focuses on how he acts out as a child and on how helpless Alfred is to stop such actions because of a ridiculous promise to Bruce's dad, the more childish Batman will seem. By the end, when Batman is finally revealed, the figure will have lost all meaning. It would be much better if Gotham just pushed Wayne out of the show, and picked up on him when he became a man, so that we don't have to see how ridiculously he (and really Alfred) are behaving.

I knew that Not-The-True-Repairman was suspicious from the get-go of this episode but it still needs work. I do hope that when Gordon catches the Wayne killer Bruce goes away indefinitely because I don't need a lesser version of the first 30 minutes of Batman Begins in here. I like it as a cop show so I hope it keeps being that.

I knew that Not-The-True-Repairman was suspicious from the get-go of this episode but it still needs work. I do hope that when Gordon catches the Wayne killer Bruce goes away indefinitely because I don't need a lesser version of the first 30 minutes of Batman Begins in here. I like it as a cop show so I hope it keeps being that.

It doesn't help that Alfred and Bruce are insanely bland characters.

Anyway, last night's episode was decent, but needed a lot of work.

The Good

The Balloonman: Ok, I know he's a silly villain, but the stuff about vigilantism was solid mainly because it shows how much Batman is needed in this city.

Harvey Bullock: I like this character. He had some good scenes yesterday (especially when he got his ass kicked). They need more of him.

Gordon: He's likable. I also felt tense when we find out that he is being investigated for the murder of Cobblepot.

The Meh

The Penguin: Having him leave Gotham and then come back within two episodes is just dumb.

The Mob War: The Mob War is interesting, but the show has made it more of an afterthought so far, which is sad.

The Other Police Team: I forgot what they are called, but they're insanely bland. Worse, they're also dumb. Who tells a cop that he's under investigation if there's no proof?

Barbara: Is every week going to be "Barbara questions if Jim's a good guy only to learn that he is?"

Fish Mooney: I find her entire power play against Falcone to be insanely week.

The Bad

Alfred and Bruce: I can get the issues with Bruce because they go back to issues that have always faced Batman's characters, but why is Alfred such a huge dick on this show? He has to be the worst father figure ever.

• Like 2

The Other Police Team: I forgot what they are called, but they're insanely bland. Worse, they're also dumb. Who tells a cop that he's under investigation if there's no proof?

Because they're hoping Gordon doesn't know they have no proof and are trying to pressure him into possibly confessing. Or, if he does realise they have no proof, the pressure (and/or overconfidence on his side) could make him paranoid and lead him to slip up and accidentally reveal himself. And if he's innocent or doesn't slip up, they don't really lose anything (since, even if Gordon doesn't know they suspect him, he's unlikely to reveal anything related to the Cobblepot murder.)

Don't get me wrong, I agree they're bland but what they're doing does make sense and is closer to actual police interrogation procedure. Although, relating to the bland point, the reveal of the true nature of the relationship between Barbara and Montoya does add quite a few interesting layers to the latter's character, particularly how much of her vendetta against Gordon is personal. Actress is still bland though.

I think that's supposed to be the point with her though. She's like Cersei from GoT, someone who's more ruthless than they are smart, which helps them at first but eventually develops into pettiness and (I assume) will eventually come to bite her in the ass.

I'll admit though, I may just be reading into it a bit too much.

• Like 2

Because they're hoping Gordon doesn't know they have no proof and are trying to pressure him into possibly confessing. Or, if he does realise they have no proof, the pressure (and/or overconfidence on his side) could make him paranoid and lead him to slip up and accidentally reveal himself. And if he's innocent or doesn't slip up, they don't really lose anything (since, even if Gordon doesn't know they suspect him, he's unlikely to reveal anything related to the Cobblepot murder.)

Don't get me wrong, I agree they're bland but what they're doing does make sense and is closer to actual police interrogation procedure. Although, relating to the bland point, the reveal of the true nature of the relationship between Barbara and Montoya does add quite a few interesting layers to the latter's character, particularly how much of her vendetta against Gordon is personal. Actress is still bland though.

I think that's supposed to be the point with her though. She's like Cersei from GoT, someone who's more ruthless than they are smart, which helps them at first but eventually develops into pettiness and (I assume) will eventually come to bite her in the ass.

I'll admit though, I may just be reading into it a bit too much.

1) I see your point about Montaya and her partner, but I still take issue with it. Mainly because they tried this same thing a couple of episodes ago, and it didn't work then, so why should they expect it to work now. The twist with Montaya's character is a "meh" one. It could go somewhere like you suggested, but the actress is too bland for me to care.

2) I think that's the point of her character as well, but that makes me even less inclined to watch her because I know it will "bite her in the ass." (At least I'm sure of it since Falcone is such a big deal in the Gotham Universe).

• Community Manager

Alfred and Bruce: I can get the issues with Bruce because they go back to issues that have always faced Batman's characters, but why is Alfred such a huge dick on this show? He has to be the worst father figure ever.

I like that actually simply because it makes sense that it would take him a long time to actually learn how to raise a kid. I don't know why he should automatically be a good father figure.

I do think that Penguin came back too early. I was expecting him to come back at the worst possible moment for Gordon.

• Like 2

It doesn't help that Alfred and Bruce are insanely bland characters.

Anyway, last night's episode was decent, but needed a lot of work.

The Good

The Balloonman: Ok, I know he's a silly villain, but the stuff about vigilantism was solid mainly because it shows how much Batman is needed in this city.

Harvey Bullock: I like this character. He had some good scenes yesterday (especially when he got his ass kicked). They need more of him.

Gordon: He's likable. I also felt tense when we find out that he is being investigated for the murder of Cobblepot.

The Meh

The Penguin: Having him leave Gotham and then come back within two episodes is just dumb.

The Mob War: The Mob War is interesting, but the show has made it more of an afterthought so far, which is sad.

Barbara: Is every week going to be "Barbara questions if Jim's a good guy only to learn that he is?"

The Bad

I also wondered by Alfred is so passive aggressive with Bruce.  Strange.

Overall it's a decent enough show to keep watching..

Solid start in Australia although it did lose over half of the audience from the lead in show.

The Block: The Winner Announced has netted Nine its biggest single audience of the year at a whopping 2.76m viewers. It makes the show one of the biggest audiences of the year, higher than NRL Grand Final (2.6m), My Kitchen Rules Grand Final (2.6m) and State of Origin (2.58m) on metro audiences.

The Block is a reality show about an old office building being redeveloped into 5 units by five 2-person teams(mostly couples or siblings).  The winner is determined by a final auction.

Aside from The Block‘s bumper finale, Gotham premiered to 1.24m / 896,000.  On the same night new episodes of Castle were 776,000 / 540,000, Modern Family (461,000 / 368,000), Scorpion (415,000) and  NCIS:New Orleans (410,000).

http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2014/10/sunday-12-october-2014.html

Edited by DeeCee

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/gotham-earns-a-full-season-740338

'Gotham' Earns a Full Season Order at Fox

Fox is staying put in Gotham. In a move that should come as no surprise, the network's fall breakout has scored a back order for additional six episodes — bringing its freshman season to a full 22 episodes.

Gotham is neck-and-neck with ABC's How to Get Away With Murder as the biggest new series of the fall. With the first round of live-plus-seven day ratings now in for premiere week, Gotham's 6.0 rating among adults 18-49 makes it Monday's highest-rated drama.

• Like 2

• Community Manager

Yeah I prefered being a shorter season so there'd be less filler.

I know there's a serialized arc but most of the episodes so far have been case of the weeks. There's no real reason for what is essentially a cop show to stick to 16 episodes.

Penguin/Gordon = good

Rest = uneven.

I'm still giving this the benefit of the doubt for now, but it isn't wowing me like I'd hoped.

One of the issues the "rest" is how many times can a crime happen in Fish's area so they go there to ask for help.  That and Bruce being in every episode are the only things I am not crazy about.  It's not enough to make the show bad though

• Like 1