A Marvel Fanboy

The Hobbit: the Desolation of Smaug OS Thread

Don't movies in most markets open on a thursday? At least in Germany they do.

No, I think it depends on the country. It seems France is on Wednesdays, as you say, Germany on Thursdays. In Spain and, if I am not wrong, in UK, most movies open on Fridays.

Friday: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug enters Friday with a $24 million cume from 32 overseas markets.

The film collected $15.23 million on Thursday, an 11% improvement over the previous installment in the franchise. 

Germany posted a $3.4 million opening day haul from 1,462 screens, equivalent to 75% of the top marketshare. 

Mexico enjoyed a $909k opening day from 2,555 screens, accounting for 58% of the marketshare. 

New Zealand once again showed strong support to the Peter Jackson series, contributing a $575k opening day from 251 screens that translates to 87% of the top marketshare. 

How that is 11% bigger than AUJ ? ... more like 11% smaller ... (24 vs 27)

It's playing in less markets. 

"The initial “Smaug” rollout will actually be smaller than that of the first film, with six or seven fewer markets in the first-weekend mix, so apples-to-apples comparisons won’t work."

http://www.thewrap.com/hobbit-desolation-smaug-box-office-unexpected-journey

If it's 11% ahead on average, per market, and it's legs are the same as AUJ, it will end up making around 70 million (10%) more than the previous film. If the legs are the same and it can maintain the lead. 

Edited by sensui

Of course I know the numbers of markets are a little different. Some very small markets dont really matter anyway.

I dont know how they get that 11%. Probably pulling numbers out of their asses.

Friday: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug enters Friday with a $24 million cume from 32 overseas markets.

The film collected $15.23 million on Thursday, an 11% improvement over the previous installment in the franchise. 

Germany posted a $3.4 million opening day haul from 1,462 screens, equivalent to 75% of the top marketshare. 

Mexico enjoyed a $909k opening day from 2,555 screens, accounting for 58% of the marketshare. 

New Zealand once again showed strong support to the Peter Jackson series, contributing a $575k opening day from 251 screens that translates to 87% of the top marketshare. 

So far only France and Germany produced bigger daily numbers than the first.

Edited by firedeep

Germany delivered the biggest opening of the year with $3.4M on 1,462 screens. Warner says this was 67% ahead of the previous film

http://www.deadline.com/2013/12/the-hobbit-the-desolation-of-smaug-france-opening/ 

Germany was the biggest OS market for TH1 with $88.85 M. So 67% increase is huge and probably contributed to the overall 11% increase.

The second Hobbit film has hit $53.4 million internationally, including $29.3 million on Friday from 15,950 screens in 49 markets. The Friday number was 5% ahead of the first Friday for “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey” and its Wednesday-Thursday grosses were up by 11% over “Journey.”

http://variety.com/2013/film/news/hobbit-desolation-of-smaug-playing-powerfully-in-international-markets-1200956487/

cant see it making less than 1B WW but Im biased so ;)

leyla...(Smooches)Amen.. This one is far beyond the first...I think the battle for the crown of the year is very much alive..

Watch out IM3 :)....Its fantastic. .Be sure everyone to see the digital 4k 48 frames a sec virgins. OMG... So bright and vibrant 3D and imagery sharpness is out of this world. bees flying by my head, Signs seeming to swing in the audience... Landscapes coming alive and having so much dept..It reminded you of how grand Avatar I was..

This is the best movie experience I've had all year long.. A++ .. The lord of the rings feeling has returned to Hobbit!!! :) Wooohoooo

• Like 1

Hey CJohn if you read this how is it doing in Portugal

Keep spreading the word C-John....We can make a difference. This film deserves to be number 1 film of 2013. :D

9.7 out of  10.. :) Reminded me very much of the wow factor and incredible story and elements of romance , adventure,  fun and awe that almost but not quite the Juggernaut I 2009 level.

Just wow on how the 3D smoothness, sharpness and dept effects have changed since 2009!!..Cant wait to see how Juggernaut 2 2015/2016 pushes this technology to its outmust... Love Smaugggg!!!!!

Damn just as your ready for the big fight, it has us asking for more.. Woohoo!!!

Who saw the 48fps 3D 4k Versions of this film at Imax or a good Stadium seat digital 3D theater? I hope it makes 300M domestic.

The second Hobbit film has hit $53.4 million internationally, including $29.3 million on Friday from 15,950 screens in 49 markets. The Friday number was 5% ahead of the first Friday for “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey” and its Wednesday-Thursday grosses were up by 11% over “Journey.”

“Smaug” opened Friday in the U.K. with $4.7 million at 1,495 screens, 39% ahead of the “Journey” opening day, which was a Thursday.

Germany generated $4 million at 1,460 for a two-day total of $7.4 million for “Smaug” — 35% ahead of “Journey.”

Spain’s opening day for “Smaug” saw $2.3 million at 859 screens, making it the top Friday opening in 2013, while France pulled in $2.1 million at 909 locations for a three-day total of $6.4 million — 10% ahead of “Journey.”

In Brazil, “Smaug” opened with $1.5 million at 1,009 screens, 4% ahead of “Journey.”

http://variety.com/2013/film/news/hobbit-desolation-of-smaug-playing-powerfully-in-international-markets-1200956487/

• Like 3