A Marvel Fanboy

The Hobbit: the Desolation of Smaug OS Thread

So no increase. Some markets increased slightly, others decreased slightly.

A billion will be difficult to reach.

No possibility of deciding that yet ... with this opening date, it's all about legs. We can judge those after next weekend at the earliest (even weekdays are no indication because nearly everywhere it's just normal workdays) - if it can keep up next weekend with AUJ, then 1bil is locked I think.

• Like 2

85% isn't  3d share!

Indeed. It is the percentage of the OW relative to AUJ OW. DOS has opened a 15% lower than AUJ (5.1m€ vs 6.1m€).

I really hope it can balance the situation because the movie is fantastic, wide better than first, IMHO. I have just seen it and I am amazed how much I have enjoyed it :D

Indeed. It is the percentage of the OW relative to AUJ OW. DOS has opened a 15% lower than AUJ (5.1m€ vs 6.1m€).

I really hope it can balance the situation because the movie is fantastic, wide better than first, IMHO. I have just seen it and I am amazed how much I have enjoyed it :D

ahahaha lol thx

my reading comprehension skills are sh*** :lol:

as for Seoul

wow WB is  :wacko: if it doesnt want to get profit oh well

UK report

Warner Bros’ fantasy sequel dominates with $15.1m (£9.3m) debut; Disney’s Frozen falls just 10% in second weekend.

It may have been expected but The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug still impressed on its UK bow, dominating the competition to dethrone Frozen after one week.

Warner Bros’ fantasy sequel scored a $15.1m (£9.3m) debut from its 588 sites, with 56.4% of its gross coming from 3D and IMAX screenings.

When looking purely at openings, that result does mark the lowest of the Lord of the Rings series. However,Smaug is the first to open without previews and based solely on Fri-Sun performances, it’s the third strongest result behind The Return of the King’s $15.9m (£9.8m) andAn Unexpected Journey’s $15.5m (£9.5m).

Desolation of Smaug’s direct predecessor, An Unexpected Journey, went on to take $84.3m (£51.7m) in the UK and if Smaug is to challenge that, it’ll need to enjoy a fruitful Christmas. As a comparison, Journey stood at $58.4m (£35.9m) on Dec 30, 2012 after three weeks in play.

Edited by Leyla

'The Hobbit' wound up earning $135.4M overseas this weekend; that's up 3% over the first movie across same markets: http://ow.ly/rOWeg 

If it can maintain the same legs throughout rest of the markets then 700M OS should be no problem but I don't see 800M happening so IM3 has secured OS and WW crown while domestic is up in limbo.

WOM for DoS will be stronger than AUJ's. This one is much better.

I saw DOs twice and at both screenings I could hear gasping, laughter & general sense of fun throughout the movie. Something that is completely missing from AUJ. So it will be surprising if DOS eventually earns less than AUJ overseas. Domestically DOS will be clobbered by ANCHORMAN2, DINOS, AMERICAN HUSTLE & TWOWS. 

checked some presales here (finally tomorrow I'll see it!!!!)

ppl really want to see it in Imax & HFR it seems

& the interest in smaller cities may even be more than in big ones

still early to say b/c presales are usually not a big thing here so even showings that have no seats booked yet may well be full tomoroow 

I saw DOs twice and at both screenings I could hear gasping, laughter & general sense of fun throughout the movie. Something that is completely missing from AUJ. So it will be surprising if DOS eventually earns less than AUJ overseas. Domestically DOS will be clobbered by ANCHORMAN2, DINOS, AMERICAN HUSTLE & TWOWS. 

I have not seen it yet but what i am hearing in the UK at least is it's much better then the first one so should have good legs so hopefully an increase OS