A Marvel Fanboy

The Hobbit: the Desolation of Smaug OS Thread

I would say it is slightly over in the places where they are offering 3D and 2D. Even if people don't get 2D tickets because it is sold out, since they are already in the theater, they will see it in 3D. HFR 3D and IMAX HFR 3D are amazingly well. Problem is in the smaller theaters, and there are many, they are not offering 2D at night. Last year they did that at every theater. I remember my local theater had the 2 360 screens sold out at Saturday and Friday night. This year they didn't sold out there only 3D show at Friday night. Those theaters are way down from last year.

• Like 2

Leyla is crying

:lol: why should i   :rolleyes: I recieve no money from the film

sadly ;)

leyla...(Smooches)Amen.. This one is far beyond the first...I think the battle for the crown of the year is very much alive..

Watch out IM3 ....Its fantastic. .Be sure everyone to see the digital 4k 48 frames a sec virgins. OMG... So bright and vibrant 3D and imagery sharpness is out of this world. bees flying by my head, Signs seeming to swing in the audience... Landscapes coming alive and having so much dept..It reminded you of how grand Avatar I was..

This is the best movie experience I've had all year long.. A++ .. The lord of the rings feeling has returned to Hobbit!!! Wooohoooo

great that u liked the film Supes

so UK will be less than 80

too bad

1 bil is not so locked

Edited by Leyla

yeah nothing is locked for now

Im just getting my expectatuions lower for  now b/c of decreases in some markets

we have to wait for the bigger picture & wait for the holidays (same for DOM market too imo)

it may give significant boost 

I wonder how Japan will do. They moved it into the holiday timeframe so who knows it may help

Asia -

decent - Philippines

not good - SK, HK

waiting for other #

Decreases - english speaking territories - probs UK, NZ

Edited by Leyla

yeah nothing is locked for now

Im just getting my expectatuions lower for  now b/c of decreases in some markets

we have to wait for the bigger picture & wait for the holidays (same for DOM market too imo)

it may give significant boost 

I wonder how Japan will do. They moved it into the holiday timeframe so who knows it may help

Asia -

decent - Philippines

not good - SK, HK

waiting for other #

Decreases - english speaking territories - probs UK, NZ

My country should increase, as I can see the sold out is at a faster pace than AUJ. Frozen is still doing strong business, but impossible to be #1 this week. Captain Philips is doing well too.

But I do not think this will do below 950mil. 

If OS markets do 720mil before Japan, WB will do all their best to..... make it over 1 bil.

Target for TABA: 1.05bil.

• Like 1

Sunday Update: Warner Bros. reports that The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug is up to $131.2 million overseas, pushing its global total to $205M.

Key stats from WB:

Germany - Took 64% of the top 5 market share, ranking as the biggest opening of 2013 with €13.2m (US$18.1m) from 1,460 screens. HDOS already qualifies for a Bogey Award for achieving more than 1,000 admissions per site. Opening results surpassed The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey by 14% (€11.5m), excluding previews.

The UK: With a 61% share of the top 5 films in the market and nearly quadrupling 2nd placed FROZEN, the opening results are excellent at £9.5m (US$15.6m) from 1,495 screens. This is on par with the. Fri-Sun opening results for HAUJ (£9.5m).

Scandinavia: Strong numbers at a cumulative $15.6m, roughly on par with the opening of HAUJ at $15.8m. Sweden pulled in the lion's share at an excellent SK39.7m (US$6.1m) from 431 screens.

France: Outstanding €10.6m (US$14.6m) with 1.35m admissions from 909 screens, doubling results of 2nd placed FROZEN. Opening results outpaced HAUJ by 13% (€9.4m).

Korea: Fantastic opening at KRW 7.6m (US$7.2m) from 806 screens, pulling in 50% more than 2nd place local opener WAY BACK HOME.

Rest of Asia: Outstanding results with Hong Kong, Taiwan, Malaysia, Philippines, India, Indonesia and Thailand taking $13.2m and collectively outpacing HAUJ by +18% ($11.2m)!

Spain marked the biggest weekend in 2013, grossing €5.15m (US$7.1m) from 859 screens and garnering 60% of the top 5 market share. 3D results are 85% of HDOS (€6.1m), which is excellent considering the current economic climate.

Italy: Opening tally is €3.8m (US$5.2m) from 680 screens, doubling 2nd place local opener UN FANTASTICO VIA VAI.

Brazil: With a 70% share of the top 5 films in the market, opening results are excellent at R$11.5m (US$5.0m) from 1,009 screens, surpassing HAUJ by +16% (R$9.9m).

Holland: Biggest opening weekend in 2013 at €2.2m (US$3.0m) from 220 screens, including sneaks, on par with HAUJ (€2.2m).

Mexico: Dominating the market with a 72% share of the top 5 films, opening numbers are strong at Ps. 75.4m (US$5.9m) from 2,640 screens, outperforming HAUJ by +9% (Ps. 68.9m)

New Zealand: 4 day opening gross of NZ$2.0m (US$1.7m) from 201 screens, which is on par with HAUJ's record breaking showing last year (Thu-Sun NZ$2.0m).

Upcoming key releases: Russia (18 Dec), Australia (26 Dec), Japan (28 Feb), China (TBA)

http://www.boxoffice.com/latest-news/2013-12-11-overseas-the-hobbit-the-desolation-of-smaug-scores-28m-french-debut